PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Type

Pico
06-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Alright I searched and didnt find anything, Im going to install a new radiator tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone here has used the red color coolant that some of the newer cars use or do I have to use the green colored one.
And if anyone has used the other type of coolant was there any difference in the temp.

MessyHonda
06-10-2006, 07:12 AM
i could not find anything on it besides: Most commercial antifreeze formulations include corrosion inhibiting compounds, and a colored dye (commonly a green, red or blue fluorescent) to aid in identification. A 1:1 dilution with water is usually used, resulting in a freezing point of approximately −40°F (−40°C). In warmer areas weaker dilutions are used. so i think its just dye....i would stick with green since our tranmission oil is red.

Pico
06-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Yeah I started thinking about it last night I am gooing to stick to the regular coolant..
Thanks Messy

smufguy
06-10-2006, 07:36 AM
the red one is higher milage also.

Pico
06-10-2006, 08:06 AM
the red one is higher milage also.
but does have the same amount of protection against corrosion?

Oldblueaccord
06-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Duracrap??

do a google i think theres a class action lawsuit on it. Its junk.

Just use normal and use distilled water.

wp

smufguy
06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
but does have the same amount of protection against corrosion?

yes it does, but i just use a 50-50 mix of the regular green coolant and distilled water combo.

Kabuki
06-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Agreed, go with the green. Most of the orange/Red types are corrosive to any hoses and seals that aren't made of pure silicone, for exaple, the kind of hoses in ALL hondas.

DBMaster
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
If you'll pardon me, BALONEY!

I have been using the red coolant for nine years without incident. It is not even essential to flush out all of your old coolant, but it's not a bad idea. The extended life type that has red dye is silicate free just like the Honda coolant. None of the coolants are "corrosive" to the rubber hoses. Some of my hoses are still original.

The short of it is use whichever you want.

2ndGenGuy
06-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Coolant schmoolant... I just run my car in short bursts with no coolant or water pump. Not running the pump frees up about 25HP. If you shut it off fast enough it dosen't overheat. :p

MessyHonda
06-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Coolant schmoolant... I just run my car in short bursts with no coolant or water pump. Not running the pump frees up about 25HP. If you shut it off fast enough it dosen't overheat. :p

sounds like a good idea...but how much would it cost to fix the engine when you warp it? i would take out PS and AC first b4 cooling...they put it there for a reason.

Mars
06-15-2006, 11:17 PM
sounds like a good idea...but how much would it cost to fix the engine when you warp it? i would take out PS and AC first b4 cooling...they put it there for a reason.
lol hes kidding

AccordEpicenter
06-16-2006, 01:30 PM
that red stuff sucks ass, stick with green antifreeze. Dont mix the 2 together, they coagulate into a brown sludge

Kabuki
06-16-2006, 06:43 PM
If you'll pardon me, BALONEY!
I have been using the red coolant for nine years without incident. It is not even essential to flush out all of your old coolant, but it's not a bad idea. The extended life type that has red dye is silicate free just like the Honda coolant. None of the coolants are "corrosive" to the rubber hoses. Some of my hoses are still original.
The short of it is use whichever you want.

Er... Dex-Cool, and many other new types of coolant use organic acids as freeze inhibitors. But the more these organic acids come in to contact with air and petrochemicals (you know, the things ALL OVER in your car) the more acidic and corrosive they become. It works great in a new, fresh cooling system that isn't ever opened for the warranty period. But if you have to drain the coolant to do any maintenance, you must flush all of it out again, or run the risk of destroying parts of your engine.

88Accord-DX
06-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Just use distilled water with any anti-freeze you put in there. I don't see nothing wrong with Ethylene glycole myself, just flush your system out in 2 years.
I know I don't want to keep anti-freeze in my engine for 5 years.

88Accord-DX
06-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Double Post.

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2006, 07:38 PM
the coolant doesnt lose efficiency or freezing resistance much, just the corrosion inhibitors break down after a while and the ph can get extreme