PDA

View Full Version : What Do I have to Remove to Remove EGR?

kw_da
06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi,

I'd like to remove the EGR valve to clean the carbon deposits out, along with the EGR tubing. I have an '86 Lxi Accord - fuel injected. I loosened the vaccum pipes and was able to access the two bolts with a socket wrench, but I can't get the socket on straight since the socket interfers with the top of the EGR valve.

I tried putting a closed end wrench on the bolts, but it will not fit since the side of the wrench hits the side of the valve. It seems like to get a clear shot at them you need to remove the valve cover, fuel pipes and a whole bunch of other stuff. What have you done - it seems like a real pain.

Thanks,

David

DBMaster
06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I used a u-joint socket adapter on mine. Still a pain, but I was able to replace it.

kw_da
06-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the reply - maybe I need to get a new u-joint - my u-joint is a proto - it's sort of hefty, so it interfers with the EGR body. I'll try again. Are you using 3/8 sockets?

David

I used a u-joint socket adapter on mine. Still a pain, but I was able to replace it.

DBMaster
06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I might have used a 1/4 as well. It was last year. I removed the EGR twice - once to clean it, and then again to replace it which solved my particular issue.

kw_da
07-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I might have used a 1/4 as well. It was last year. I removed the EGR twice - once to clean it, and then again to replace it which solved my particular issue.
Thanks Mike for the advice.

I was able to get the EGR valve off by using liberal amounts of PB Blaster + a 1/4 u-joint. When I was putting it back, I lost one nut somewhere down in the bowels of my engine - need another - but my dealer doesn't have. A hardware store nut requires a 13 mm socket, which is a little large (the honda nut requires a 12 mm nut).

David

Oldblueaccord
07-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks Mike for the advice.
I was able to get the EGR valve off by using liberal amounts of PB Blaster + a 1/4 u-joint. When I was putting it back, I lost one nut somewhere down in the bowels of my engine - need another - but my dealer doesn't have. A hardware store nut requires a 13 mm socket, which is a little large (the honda nut requires a 12 mm nut).
David

Every,well maybe most, Honda bolt the head is one "flat" smaller then a regular store bought bolt. I dunno why and I dont know where you can find a bolt with the smaller head. Might just have to pick one at a junkyard. If you find a source let us know. Im sure there is a need.

wp

POS carb
07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
unless it is leaking there is no need to take your EGR off. you will only see a slight rise in NOX emmission if it is completely clogged you won''t see any performance gains by removing/cleaning it if that's what you are after.
if you really want to clean it i dunno start removing things but try to avoid removing parts with gaskets or the damn threaded pipes (egr and air inj. on my carbie)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I agree with POS, your going to do a lot of work and its pretty much pointless and the egr tube is like impossible to get off without destroying.

kw_da
07-04-2006, 04:09 PM
unless it is leaking there is no need to take your EGR off. you will only see a slight rise in NOX emmission if it is completely clogged you won''t see any performance gains by removing/cleaning it if that's what you are after.
if you really want to clean it i dunno start removing things but try to avoid removing parts with gaskets or the damn threaded pipes (egr and air inj. on my carbie)
Well ... I was able to get the EGR off & cleaned out a lot of carbon. Also sprayed a lot of cleaner down the EGR pipe. My car (fuel injected) was getting very close to the limit during my smog for Nitrous Oxides. I understand that the EGR takes care of the excess NO. Will find out in a year or so.

I also was trying to get rid of this intermittent hesitation/surge problem that occurs when the car is somewhat cold . The problem is that I give the car gas underload, it doesn't accelerate, or starts surging. If I rev the engine up (push the clutch in), it appears to go away. It appears infrequently, so I'm not sure if its gone.

Regards,

David