PDA

View Full Version : neon question

89bumblethumper
08-25-2002, 07:43 PM
aight...im thinking of replacing the 2 leds that light up our dash with a small slim neon tube...does anyone know if it would draw too much power??? or what the exact Volts those 2 leds draw???

Also, i might put 2 15" neon tubes under my dash, in the foot area...what should i hook the neons up too??? should i just run a power line straight from the battery, to a switch near my steering wheel??? like where the sunroof switch would be...

I basically need to knwo the volts the 2 leds draw (i dont have a voltmeter to check it),
where and HOW to hook them up to a switch just so they arent on all the time...

2Fast_Fiero
08-25-2002, 08:16 PM
I'm doing that. the 6" neon tube in that area, if you want I can show you what all to do, and it wont draw to much power, just dont run your lights without the car on or some sort of battery charger or something like that to keep the battery charged. That is the #1 killer of Alternators, and trust me, you dont want to replace that. But yes, if you like I'll show you what you need to do.

89bumblethumper
08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
aight yeah...if you want to e-mail it to me... use [email protected]

RedneckRicer
08-26-2002, 11:14 AM
i have to tear into my dash today to replace the AT fuel temp cluster with the MT one.... i'm putting in white faced gauges too, can you mount the neon out of sight or will it hang there and look stupid during the day?

3rdgenSLIMER
08-27-2002, 12:47 PM
you don't want to spend that much on 15" tubes just for under your dash. just get some 9" mini's. they light up really good. thats what i have under my dash. plus you will have the hardest time trying to hide the 15" tubes, than you would the 9". plus the 9" mini's are cheaper than buying 2 15" tubes.

HostileJava
08-27-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm a little confused as to how leaving your lights on can ruin your alternator. Could you please explain.

Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
I'm doing that. the 6" neon tube in that area, if you want I can show you what all to do, and it wont draw to much power, just dont run your lights without the car on or some sort of battery charger or something like that to keep the battery charged. That is the #1 killer of Alternators, and trust me, you dont want to replace that. But yes, if you like I'll show you what you need to do.

3rdgenSLIMER
08-27-2002, 03:39 PM
leaving your lights on, drains the power out of your battery. ive had to be jumped of a couple of times for that. lol. its not fun, so when i show my car, i leave my engine on.

HostileJava
08-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, but how does that hurt your alternator?

89bumblethumper
08-27-2002, 08:23 PM
stock alternators can only put out like 40-50 amps of power, and if u over draw on them they burn up and crap the bed. That is why when u have a sound system and ur bass hits ur lights dim...it is drawing too amny amps off ur alternator...and burns i out

HostileJava
08-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Yes but if the car is off and the lights are on your not using your alternator. The worse that can happen is you go to start the car and the battery is dead so you can't start the car. How does that kill the alternator?

gr3k0sLaV
08-29-2002, 08:24 AM
fuck the neon tube, take my advice, i tried one and it wasn't bright enough.

I instead put a 100mm cold cathode tube, which only draws 5mA of current and is a HELLUVA lot bright, ill be replacing mine with a UV one as soon as tomorrow, since ive just upgraded my gauges to white faced ones :)

89bumblethumper
08-29-2002, 10:38 AM
I was thinking aobut putting a codl cathode in, but i didn't know if it would draw too much or overheat...

You have had no problems with it gr3KOsLaV???

Neuspeed87lx
08-29-2002, 12:05 PM
run it from the fuse box with a switch ....

gr3k0sLaV
08-29-2002, 03:02 PM
I run it off the wires on the cluster that powered the overheard lights, runs fine just REALLY bright,

3rdGenMartyr
08-31-2002, 09:27 PM
im running my lights from the power antenna hot wire, so they cannot be on if the car is off, since i dont show it, and dont plan on it, it works just fine

but its all got to be rewired