PDA

View Full Version : ES2 vs A20 Transmission

2ndGenGuy
06-14-2006, 09:33 AM
I was just wondering, if it's so much easier to bolt the A20 engine to the ES2 transmission when doing an A20 swap, why would I want to keep the A20 transmission? What are the differences between the two?

I would like to not swap axles, wheel bearings, etc. It would be nice to keep my stock drivetrain. Is it not as stout at the A20 transmission?

I'm not going to do a really heavy rebuild of the A20, so I don't think that the ES2 tranny will have any problems holding together power-wise. I'll do the A20 tranny / axles / bearings if it's worth it.

Ichiban
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I was wondering that myself, I got the prelude twin carb engine and tranny, and it's set up for the big axles. After I bought the BT-1 because I wanted fuel injection and planned on keeping the prelude tranny. All the late 2g accords up here had the 1598cc 12 Valve engine so I don't know if those trannys bolt up to anything, but they do use the smaller axles.

PhydeauX
06-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know all the reasons for changing out the transmission. The ES2 transmissions have smaller (in size not ratio) gears. That persumably would make them weaker then the a20 trans, though I don't think any one has managed to break one. Then again I don't think anyone is running a turbo on the ES2's trans so they might not survive as well under extreme punishment. The a20 also uses a slightly larger clutch, I forget what the diameter of the disk is but its some where in the ball park of 10mm i think. The ES2 has a lighter flywheel though and the extra clamping force can be made up buy a stronger clutch.

I don't see any reason not to use the stock trans. The ratios are probalby pretty close to the carbed a20 trans but no one knows for sure yet. For what you're planning the stock trans should be fine. If you really want a trans upgrade the 85 twin carb prelude trans uses the same axles/clutch as the ES2.

andy

2ndGenGuy
06-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I am planning on putting a stronger clutch in anyways. The OEM replacement clutch in my car wasn't holding as well as I think it needed to at the track.

Doesn't the A20 redline at 7000RPM? I don't have the gauge cluster anymore, so I can't remember... Wonder how runing the ES2 tranny 800RPM above redline would affect it... Guess it wouldn't be for long periods anyways, only momentarily.

I think I'm going to to with the ES2 tranny, and just see how it goes. I might have it rebuilt because the 1st gear synchros are starting to get a bit worn. Could the ES2 tranny be built up a little tougher while its being rebuilt? What would I ask them to do?

Can't do it myself cos I don't know shit about trannys. I'm learning enough just trying to get the damn A20 out of my 87. Putting it in the 84 should be an experience. :)

PhydeauX
06-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the engines redline at about the same. Either way the redline shouldn't effect the transmission nearly as much as the engine. The #1 killer of transmissions is torque, and a midly modified a20 should be well within the limits of the trans.

andy

forrest89sei
06-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't know if it helps at all but here it is:

2nd Gen EDM Specs
http://www.hondarevolutions.com/images/2gaccord_22.jpg

3rd Gen EDM Specs
http://www.hondarevolutions.com/images/3g_accord-23.jpg

2nd Lude Spec
http://www.hondarevolutions.com/images/2gprelude18_15.jpg

carotman
06-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Yeah, the A20A redlines at 6250.

Can't you just use the A20A trans with 2nd gen axles mated with 3rd gen inboard joints?

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2006, 07:02 AM
I suppose I could... but It just seems so much easier to use the ES2 transmission. Gotta bolt up one of the transmissions, and if there's no serious benefit to either of them, why not do the easier one? At least that's how I see it. Besides that, I don't think I'm ready to venture in to the world of rebuilding CV joins. :)

needmorelow
02-06-2016, 10:18 AM
So will a es2 transmission work on the a20 or not I'm a newbie here

2ndGenGuy
02-09-2016, 05:21 AM
Yes if you want to swap in a smaller flywheel and clutch setup, and have smaller inboard axle stubs.