PDA

View Full Version : Removal Of Ignition Switch

Cap'n Carageous
06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
My ignition switch shorted out yesterday. In trying to remove the lock housing from the steering column I have encountered a problem. The two bolts that hold the assembly to the column are tamper proof. They appear to be phillips screws but the screw slots have been filled in with "something". Anyone got a clue what it is and how to remove the screws?

Cap'n Carageous
06-14-2006, 05:26 PM
The ends of the screws are flush with the nuts. No way to grasp them from the outside. I am thinking that I may have to drill small holes into the screw shafts and use "E-Z Outs" to turn them out. BTW, there is no room to modify the screws from the top side without removing the sterring column (as far as I can see).

Kabuki
06-15-2006, 09:03 AM
You don't need to replace the whole ignition lock. Just the electrical portion, which is screwed in with normal philips screws. The part number is 35130-SE3-013, and Honda list is $62.
The bolts you are referring to are break-away bolts, which have heads that break off when tightened down completely.

Cap'n Carageous
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I got one from N.A.P.A. for $38. BTW, If you disconnect the two wire connector on the lower side of the lock cylinder, it kills that annoying "DING DING DING" when the key is left in the switch.