PDA

View Full Version : new carb problem

SZfiftyfour
06-15-2006, 02:26 PM
im new to this site so i dont know if this has been posted before.
i just installed a rebuilt carb (kiehin 3bbl) in my bone stock 82 accord. all vacuum is correct and idle knob all the way out, the motor still runs between 2500-3000rpm even at operating temp. anyone have any idea's on what i might have missed?
-thanks

2ndGenGuy
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Doesn't having the idle screw all the way out kick up the idle all the way?

PhydeauX
06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Is the choke opperatin properly? Have you chcecked that the fast idle cam is releasing?

The car shouldn't even run with the idle screw all the way out. (Turning it in pushes the idle up). With the engine at opperating temp look down the barrels and make sure each throttle plate is closed. Can you see down to where the screw contacts the linkages? Are they touching? If it truly is all the way out then the linkages should not be touching the tip of the adjusting screw. If the linkage is far away from the tip of the screw then it's probalby hung up some where. Check that the choke is working, the fast idle is releasing, and the linkages aren't binding up somewhere.

andy

SZfiftyfour
06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
at operating temp the choke plate is a little over 1/8 in. open. idle screw is full out / not touching linkage / no binding. also theres significant decrease in acceleration and when turned off the motor will 'diesel'.
checking on fast idler&choke tomorrow.

PhydeauX
06-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Sounds like something is wrong with the choke. It should be fully open at operating temp. In warm areas like florida it really should only close when you start the car with a cold engine and then open up the first time you touch the gas. Make sure that the choke heater is conencted correctly. It should have +12v on its terminal when the ignition is on. A haynes manual should problaby help you with this more then we can since it has diagrams and pictures.

andy