PDA

View Full Version : Parking lot owned!!!

2drSE-i
06-16-2006, 06:48 AM
yea so yesterday i went to pick up my paycheck at around noon, i decide to eat where i work, then drive to the bank, which is about 200 feet from my work, to deposit my check. i get it deposited and as i'm waiting on my cash, and old man walks in and says those terrible words:
"um, who in here drives a Honda?"

ok maybe not so terrible, but heres where it gets bad
i say "i do, why whats up?"

"well, i just hit it" but he sorta says it with a smile on his face so i say
"your joking right?"
"no 'fraid not"

so we wander outside. at first all i can see is a broken taillight, but as i get closer i know things are much more complicated. Heres what ive got:
broken center taillight
broken taillight frame
bent beyond recognition trunk lid
bent beyond recognition that metal piece under the taillights on coupes

so, the same day, i speak with his agent, she said get my estimates and someone would call me in a day or two to evaluate the damage

so where do i take it, why not :-D

ESKRIDGE HONDA :D
Total parts and labor: $1800

so knowing full well this is probably the highest estimate im going to get anywhere, i take it to a friends bodyshop, which is known for excellent work and very competitive prices. He shot me an estimate for $800

So, while the SE-i is in the shop, i get a rental car

ghettogeddy
06-16-2006, 06:54 AM
a rental and 1000 bucks nice

2drSE-i
06-16-2006, 06:57 AM
yea still sucks tho. i work in the drivethru and i park there and all night last night i kept looking out the window and going "oh god..." i hate seeing my car like that.

ghettogeddy
06-16-2006, 07:00 AM
ya but imagine waht u can do to it with a 1000 dollers

crazykamper
06-16-2006, 07:03 AM
dang, that sucks that the car got hit. but good that u got 1k from it!!!

w261w261
06-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Did the insurance company actually agree to give you $1800? I would have thought they'd be talkin' total loss, and offering less.

When I had a little brush with a semi-trailer last year the appraiser/adjuster said if he put it in that I got more than $1600 or so he'd have to call it totalled, and I'd have to get a salvage title. I think he said he showed a value of $2,000. He said this as he admired my SE-i, referred to it as a "baby Acura."

Also, you were real lucky that the guy that hit you was stand-up. How many others would have done a quick lookaround to see if anyone noticed, and then got the hell out of there?

crazykamper
06-16-2006, 07:17 AM
u did get lucky that he came in, i know plenty of accidents where people just ran, if u hit someone, dont be a pussy and take responsibility!!!!!!

2ndGenGuy
06-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Agreed. He was a good guy for taking responsibility. My friends dad backed into my car a few years ago. He backed his 5th Gen Accord SE right down the entire side of my poor little 2nd Gen. I don't know how he didn't feel it when it first hit my car, but he kept going. Bashed in the front fender, and the two driver side doors. Completely completed the "Old shitty Honda" look on my car. Its hard enough keeping old cars looking good.

Anyways, he tried to tell me that it was MY fault for parking there. Then I asked him if he LOOKED when he backed up. Appearantly he uses his mirrors to back up like its a big truck or something.

So I told him I was going to call the insurance company and they'd find him at fault, and I got 3 estimates on my car. They were all $1600-1800. He said "Well they'll total the car" and I let him know how I could buy it back for nothing, and still come out with $2000 for the total of my car. So he had no choice. I was a nice guy and told him I only wanted $900 for parts and materials, since my dad and I were going to fix it.

2drSE-i
06-16-2006, 08:46 AM
the dealership said that it was approaching total loss, but it wasnt. i was like "phew". if they dont want to write me the check, ill tell them ill take them to court.

i have no problem doing it either.

But yea the guy was really cool, i was like shit man i wouldve probably left...the dealership showed me a high retail price of 2500, so basically the cost to fix it is 72%, just under what insurance companies will pay :D. lucky he was in a tahoe and didnt mess up the bumper or i would get to buy a new car :(

MessyHonda
06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
this happen to me...it all happen in front of my house...like 2 years ago they were selling a house and they had a open house...so cars were coming in and out...some lady hit my left rear lights and gave me a decent size dent...she left her number on my car(since i bet someone saw her hit the car) i called her back and she said we should take it to her body shop...and it was going to happen but then she did not give me no directions and i called her like 12 times...even blocked my number....well she did not fix it...so i have a busted rear quarter panel...i just picked up a light from the junk yard....at least you got money

frantik
06-16-2006, 11:17 PM
^ i dunno the laws exactly but if someone hits and runs but leaves a number but no insurance info and then dicks you around, i bet the cops woud be interested. they're not fond of hit and run drivers

too late now though 2 years on :\

speedpenguin
06-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Wow, you are extremely lucky that man came in and told you.

I'd actually think twice about trying to make a profit off of somebody like that if I were you.

HostileJava
06-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Wow, you are extremely lucky that man came in and told you.

I'd actually think twice about trying to make a profit off of somebody like that if I were you.

He's not making any money off the guy, it's coming from the insurance company. The guys rates are gonna go up regardless of how much it costs to fix the car.

speedpenguin
06-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Good point

2drSE-i
06-17-2006, 08:01 AM
yea i wouldnt screw him if it was coming out of his pocket, and i very seriously doubt his rates will go up. hes probably been with the same insurance company for 20 years, and by the looks of him he probably hasnt been in many wrecks. i think he just felt pretty stupid. I was very grateful he came inside though.