PDA

View Full Version : Sticky clutch.

Doward
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Did a search, but didn't really come back with anything... I got a full clutch kit, removed the transmission, and replaced the clutch pressure plate, friction plate, and throw-out bearing.

I've had some problems getting it adjusted correctly, but it seems to be ok now...

BUT

Randomly, I'll hit the clutch, and it won't come back up for a few seconds, then it'll come up, or if I stab it really good - it'll stay down, until I kick it again, then it snaps back up.

My clutch cable really isn't secured to anything, and I noticed that if I push slowly on the clutch pedal, I can see the cable sort of pulling itself down, and wonder if the cable needs to be secured to something other than the release arm?

Other than that, any ideas? The damn pressure plate really should have enough force to push the stupid clutch back!

AccordRacing21
06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
My clutch does that too, IDK what's up with it.

Doward
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Even though it's brand new? I even made sure to clean up the spring and all, and verify it was all working properly.

I really do not want to pull that transmission again.

Ichiban
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I think your cable or release fork is buggered up somehow, provided you put everything together properly. If the cable isn't seated properly in the firewall boss it can screw up easily. Isn't there a big return spring on the clutch release fork shaft? (the shaft that goes inside the bellhousing)

Doward
06-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Yes, there is... I made sure of it working properly before putting the transmission back in.

Is the clutch cable secured in any particular spots in the engine compartment?

Further research shows:

I'm supposed to only have about 1/10" of an inch of free play in the pedal - I have more like 1/2"-3/4" *I'll measure it later today*
Now, the funny thing is, I have almost no play at the transmission itself - leading me to think that the cable itself is stretched.

Ichiban
06-17-2006, 02:47 PM
the cable housing simply has to be anchored at each end. Sounds like the cable is frayed or otherwise.

I've got a spare 2g clutch cable, if it'll fit your car. (has like half a summer on it, virtually new)

Doward
06-18-2006, 01:11 PM
went down to the u-pull-it, $7 for another one.. this has a different look to it, and upon further inspection, it seems to be a Motormite replacement clutch cable - compared it to a new one, and it is identical. It's going to go in later tonight - if this doesn't do it, I'm going to be severely pissed - that means the pressure plate will be coming back out.

I thought it sort of strange - once the pressure plate was torqued down, the fingers all seemed to be flat, instead of sticking slightly outward... can anyone confirm if this is correct for the fingers?

Doward
06-19-2006, 05:49 AM
Ha, fixed it. Upon pulling the old clutch cable, I noticed that where the cable comes into the little mounting fixture (the part that hooks to the pedal itself) wsa actually broken - the metal lump was loose, allowing the cable to come forward about 1" before ever making the pedal move.

I'll post pics of it tonight, if I think of it ;) Smooth like butter now, and I just had to go do a 4k clutch drop and get a little tire spinnin' action going just to celebrate!