PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Help

azazel_18_2
06-19-2006, 06:04 AM
I swapped in an 86 lude manual transmission and it is great unless you will be driving on the highway. At 70mph I am cruising right around 3k. I need to know how difficult it is to swap the fifth gears out. I came by an 89 dx transmission and would like to swap the fifth gear out of it since I hear it will be higher geared. Someone help me.

dirtracer
06-19-2006, 06:46 AM
I swapped in an 86 lude manual transmission and it is great unless you will be driving on the highway. At 70mph I am cruising right around 3k. I need to know how difficult it is to swap the fifth gears out. I came by an 89 dx transmission and would like to swap the fifth gear out of it since I hear it will be higher geared. Someone help me.
I've got a accord 89 coupe & a prelude 89 and at that speed 3 K isn't that bad. why do you want to take apart a hole tranny to try and switch one gear.Obliviously you haven't had one of these apart.And it more than likely won't fit these tranny's are all different gears for reasons only Honda came up with..same as trying to switch some parts from a lude to accord or vice versa.The tranny will fit and work but the front fork & strut won't. My 2cent

EricW
06-19-2006, 08:06 AM
I believe you can, i know it works with the teg tranny. I would try it if you still have your accord tranny, since 5th is in its own housing on the end.

If you want a more straight forward answer your either going to have to search or wait for one of the more knowledgeable members that has done the swap before.

AZmike
06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I've replaced the 5th gear assebmly with the transmission still in the car a few times. You'll neeed a torque wrench and a 5 mm punch (a 3/16" also works well).

Drain transmission fluid
remove battery and tray
remove 5th gear transmission end cover
remove spring pin on shift fork
Use shifter to put transmission into 1st or reverse
push fifth gear fork to also engage fifth (this will keep the transmission shafts from turning)
remove both shaft end nuts (one is left-handed)
remove both gears and sychro assembly with fork

Be sure to put the spring washers on correctly and follow the torque sequence when reassembling. The only thing I can't tell you for sure is whether the Prelude fifth can be swapped for the Accord's. I've read it can, but I have not tried it myself.

azazel_18_2
06-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks. I will try this out. dirtracer 3k is pretty high for 65mph. I have 2.5 exhaust and a dual outlet muffler with a high flow cat and at 3k with the windows down it is pretty loud.

AZmike
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Have you checked to see how big the difference in ratio there is between the two fifth gear sets? I think my Accord spins at 3k at about 70 mph (77 mph indicated) with a stock 5th gear set.

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 11:00 AM
my lxi runs like 2500 at 70-75...almost 3, at 77ish

Swap_File
06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
You probably should replace the gasket if you take off the cover. I think you can get it shipped to yout house for $15, or have it delivered to your nearest dealer for $10. Check Majestic Honda, and the Honda Estore. You can also get a set of both transmission gaskets together for only a buck or two more.

AZmike
06-23-2006, 02:24 PM
I've had excellent results using gray RTV instead of a new gasket for the 5th gear cover.