PDA

View Full Version : Mass order for King Springs

2ndGenGuy
06-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Okay so I made contact with the guys at King Springs in Australia. The springs aren't that expensive, but the killer is going to be on shipping. Shipping essentially doubles the price of the springs. Here is what I recieved from them:

We have Part No's KHFL-60 (front) & KHRL-61 (rear) to lower your model vehicle approximately 30-35mm from factory std height.

Costs are as follows:

Front Coils AUD $ 175.00 per pair
Rear Coils AUD $ 175.00 per pair
FedEx Air (3-7 days) AUD $ 265.00 per (set of 4 coils)

Total del. you is AUD $ 615.00 (set of 4 coils)

We can work out a discount, but will need to know quantities.

Payment can be made via credit card or direct business account deposit

According to Google: 615 Australian dollars = 455.8995 U.S. dollars

So, what I would like to do is cut the cost of shipping, at least and see if anybody else here is interested in ordering these. I'm looking to order them soon, so please let me know if you are really serious about buying. Hopefully we can work something out to save some $$$.

carotman
06-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Hmmm, you could use ground shipping, but it would take around 2 months.

2ndGenGuy
06-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe some sort of coilovers could be adapted. But the suspension from the 2g is quite different from the 3g. Theres no upper control arm on the 2g and it uses a MacPherson style strut. Not a coilover setup like on the 3g.

PhydeauX
06-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I have coil overs on mine. The rears are strait forward but the fronts are a complete hack job. The 2g has some screwy strut tops and spring hats. Even at stock ride hight I have about 1" of travel with the bump stops cut. Its fine for the drag strip or mirror smooth roads, but otherwise it sucks. I have no idea what the coils came from. Some sort of noname brand for civics or something. A friend who had a shop bet me that I couldn't make them fit, I proved him wrong. All I got out of the bet was a crappy set of coil overs though.

andy

2ndGenGuy
06-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Oh man sucks about the crappy coilovers. So now you can't put the OEM style springs back in? Did you have to hack it up that badly?

Thats good to know though, I'm definitely going to stick with regular springs. I'd like to keep a decent ride.

PhydeauX
06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
It only gets driven to the track and back, and that doesn't even happen much any more, so I just deal with it. The heavy springs in the back do help with launches. They were labled 450/350 f/r or something like that. Who knows how close the labels were to the actual rates. I think the kit retailed for like $75 so we're not talking quality here. I've thought about just getting some struts for it from the junkyard but have been too lazy to go do it.

I see the shipping from austrailia has gone through the roof, it used to be alot less then that.

andy

2ndGenGuy
06-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah I guess I would be okay with stiff springs if I was going only to the track. I think these will be good for a daily driver / autocross setup. I know the tires will wear faster, but I suppose I'm willing to pay that price. A slight camber is good for autocross anyways from what I've heard.

Yeah the shipping is spensive. Thats why I was hoping to split it up with somebody. Just one person is all I would need to make it worthwhile. I think guyhatesmycar was willing to go in on it with me, but I think he was saying he's left for a couple months. :(

Maybe I'll go check my local "speed shop" and see if they could find a way to dig up a set of those Eibachs. Surpringly that speed shop has a really early 1g Accord out behind thier shop, wanna go see whats up with that anyways.

PhydeauX
06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
If the king springs for the accord are similar to the springs for the 84-87 corolla ff then they'll be too soft for serious auto-x. A guy I knew was running them with tokico shocks and they were fine on the street but once he started getting serious in auto-x the king springs had to go. Not much accord content in that but he was the guy that introduced me to the king springs and I was going to go with them on my nova (same thing as the corolla), untill I heard his auto-x reports.

That being said the 2g doesn't really like stiff springs (the chassis isn't very stiff to begin with) so they might be fine. They are probalby going to be similar rates to the eibachs. My friends solution was to go with some ground controls on his corolla which served him well. That isn't such an easy option with the 2g. The problem with the fronts since I forgot to mention it before is that the bearing that the struts pivot on is located in the spring hat instead of the strut top where most cars have it. I'm not sure if I used all the proper terms there. Anyway it may be possible to use coil overs on the fronts more efficiently if you can find a way to make the bearing work. I couldn't but I was pressed for time, I only had a day to do the conversion.

The way mine are setup is I have cut down the stock spring hats and then have the tops for the coil overs resting on the bottom of them. Originally the tops of the struts could travel into the spring hats (the stock spring hats are huge bell shaped monstrosities), but the coil overs won't let them do that. Hence I end up with about an inch of travel. The springs are so stiff (450 in/lbs) that it takes a huge bump to compress them that far so they don't hit the bump stops that often.

andy

2ndGenGuy
06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Are the King Springs going to be stiffer than stock? I won't mind if they are a little bit, but I don't want to go overboard. I just don't want them to be softer than stock. The OEM springs would suffice for me with better shocks, I just want to do better springs while I'm in there.

As far as them being too soft for autocross, I thought that you didn't want to go terribly stiff. I hear that it won't allow the tires to create good contact with the ground when cornering if the stiffness is too high.

I've already got the Konis that are going to go inside the springs, so I figure I can keep the ride stiffness a little higher with them.

I guess that all I'm looking for is something that is just a little bit better than stock. I wonder where all those Eibachs went that were produced at one point... Probably to the junk yard with the cars they were put on :(