PDA

View Full Version : drum brake replacement trouble

jaiden
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
89 lx
I had one of my rear tires lock up and have had my car on jack stands for 2 weeks now trying to fix it. I read the shop manual, the haynes manual and searched this site for "drum" and read all those posts

I have 8 new shoes and 4 new drums (from 2 stores), and none of the new drums will fit over the new pads. The OLD drum will fit over the new pads, so I'm considering using it, since I'm at my wit's end

I turned the adjusting screw all the way in (shorter), and replaced all the springs and the wave washer.

I did blow out the piston, because I'm an idiot and hit the brakes. It was having this non-fitting problem before I did that however.

If I put the lug nuts on, I can crank the drum down onto the shoes, but the wheel obviously won't turn. The drums are dragging in the middle at "9 and 3", but slip easily over the top or bottom (crooked, obviously)

The pads look identical to the ones I'm taking off, and are pretty much identical to each other. I've tried a number of different combinations, but nothing seems to work

I can't think of anything that could be wrong at this point. I measured the new drums, and they're just over 200 mm or so, and the old one is 201.

HELP!

guaynabo89
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
well if you adjusted the adjust screw all thee way in and still no room, thats pretty odd.

You dont have youre ebrake on correct? and the pistons are in as far as they go?

dont force em on, thats exactly how much force they will stay with keping the wheel from turning.

If you have all the correct parts I think youre easiest route is to get your old drums resurfaced if they are still within limits and put those on the new pads

jaiden
06-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah the ebrake arm is all the way against the back of the shoe.
I can push the pistons in with my hands, and it feels like the shoes are just resting on the adjustment screw thing on top and the rubber(?) block on the bottom. It looks just like the other side too. I keep telling myself I must be missing something. I've measured stuff over and over. ugh

well if you adjusted the adjust screw all thee way in and still no room, thats pretty odd.
You dont have youre ebrake on correct? and the pistons are in as far as they go?
dont force em on, thats exactly how much force they will stay with keping the wheel from turning.
If you have all the correct parts I think youre easiest route is to get your old drums resurfaced if they are still within limits and put those on the new pads

HondaBoy
06-21-2006, 09:14 AM
i dunno, but when putting new shoes on i would have to manuever the shoes there on the backing plate so the drum fits over it. they have to be positioned just right usually for the drum to fit. hopefully you can fix your problem.

Oldblueaccord
06-21-2006, 08:42 PM
If your sure the shoes are correct and the wheel cylinder pins are all the way in someone has been adjusting the E-brake cables instead of the rear brake adjuster as the rear brakes have worn and now there E brake arms holding the new shoes open to much.

wp

guaynabo89
06-22-2006, 04:14 PM
If your sure the shoes are correct and the wheel cylinder pins are all the way in someone has been adjusting the E-brake cables instead of the rear brake adjuster as the rear brakes have worn and now there E brake arms holding the new shoes open to much.
wp

Yeah check the tension on the ebrake cable. The adjuster nut is just behind the ebrake handle underneath the center console.

jaiden
06-23-2006, 03:17 AM
The ebrake is really loose (handle pulls WAY up) and the ebrake lever arm thing that attaches to the shoe feels like it's all the way against the metal of the shoe