PDA

View Full Version : removing the %^##@$#! rear motor mount

lostforawhile
06-20-2006, 07:47 PM
how do you get the idiot rear motor mount out? I tried jacking up the transmission and the engine every way possible and it won't lift off the stud for anything. I know you take the nut off the stud,then are supposed to lift the engine to clear it,but it won't clear. do you have to take the dog bone off first? I know the mount is shot,because the bolt hole wouldn't line up properly for the dog bone,also the transmission is sitting improperly on the lower mount. all the motor mounts are new,even the lower one,except for the back. AUGGGGHHH. to put in my new dog bone yesterday,I had to attach a comealong to the engine side mounting bracket and pull the engine forward until the bolt hole lined up. I was twenty feet from the nearest tree so I had to stretch rope across the yard.

88Accord-DX
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Take the two bolts out on each side of the motor mount that bolt to the frame, should come out. The bolts are long winded & pretty tough to move.

Edit- after you remove the 2 bolts, lift the engine up some. Get a nice long pry bar & pry it out of there. If it is bad, should be broke it two. (mine was)

lostforawhile
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Take the two bolts out on each side of the motor mount that bolt to the frame, should come out. The bolts are long winded & pretty tough to move.
Edit- after you remove the 2 bolts, lift the engine up some. Get a nice long pry bar & pry it out of there. If it is bad, should be broke it two. (mine was)mine isn't broke in two,but it's def weak,it's not supporting the engine right,that lower transmission mount used to line up,also the bolt on the dog bone used to line up. the engine is tilted back slightly toward the mount. I might also try staying after work tomorrow,we have an engine hoist i can use,I think if I put a cable around that piece that fits over the stud and lift straight up,it might work. if not try the old pry bar.

88Accord-DX
06-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, depending on how much trouble you want to spend on it. You can take loose the side motor mount, front motor mount, top motor mount, take loose your exhaust & jack your motor up pretty far from the bottom. That should give you plenty of room, but would be time consuming & a headache.

lostforawhile
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I finally got the stupid thing out,what a job,I ended up making thishttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pbf55b1abfc07153ab978cca1d09a9834/ee66049c.jpg it fits on the bracket on the side of the transmission,the part that attaches to the motor mount,it lifts the metal piece right off of the motor mount, I had a terrible time getting the new one in because the old one had sagged and i almost couldn't get the bolt under the bracket.
the old motor mount,it looked intact from above,but once it was out, you could see it was cracked on four corners. this thing is dated from 1986, it's still the original SEO mount.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p9dbb945e868dda6ce207d57573946f17/ee660493.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p97ce850a455848f294473f93d8eadddd/ee66048f.jpg

lostforawhile
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
:) Thanks Everyone Who Responded!!! It's Finally Fixed,appreciate All The Help:)

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2006, 06:12 PM
and yes, you should take the dogbone out

lostforawhile
06-21-2006, 06:34 PM
and yes, you should take the dogbone out
too late now,I wasn't about to take that solid mount out again anyway,it was a pain to get in. I do need to make a different bushing for the small end of the mount though,it transmits the sound from the bell housing directly through the mount and through the bolts holding the mount to the firewall,which acts like a sounding board. sounds like a race car inside,was always loud,but this is getting a bit extreme. I need to eithier order some urthane rod or try to find a ready made mount to fit in there. time to break out the msc book. that motor mount bracket will lift right off that motor mount if you raise the mount at the bolt on the transmission where it attaches. you can also take out the rear mounting bolt by using a bunch of extensions straight down from the back.

lostforawhile
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
why is it always something simple that is such a pain to fix? :huh:

speedpenguin
06-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Because god hates you and he isn't trying to hide it anymore

88Accord-DX
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
That motor mount is sagging about like a 80 year old womans tits.

Good job getting it out, same basic theory. Just jack that bitch up.

88Accord-DX
06-27-2006, 07:45 PM
D.p.

lostforawhile
06-27-2006, 08:35 PM
That motor mount is sagging about like a 80 year old womans tits.
Good job getting it out, same basic theory. Just jack that bitch up.
yea,hard, rubbery,and saggy