PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a metalic rattle/grinding noise

labeledsk8r
06-20-2006, 09:49 PM
yeah i kinda need some help figureing this out, and i searched around a bit and couldent find anytihng that sounded like my problem, im getting a metalic rattleing/grinding noise from the driver side of my engine bay, it only does it when i go from a lower rpm to 3,500 or more. the noise isnt a knock, i do know that,i was thinkig mayby it could be a pully? but not positive, im gona try geting a stethescope to try to pin point the problem but havent had time to just yet, the noise also only happens when its in drive, if i rev it in park or anytihng it sounds fine, any input would help alot, thanks

88Accord-DX
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Your on the right path, get a stethescope & listen to the tranny first.. Then move it around to other points & go from there.

labeledsk8r
06-20-2006, 10:42 PM
yeah i probably will tomarow or the next day depending on the weather, also if it helps to know the engine mounts are going to crap,

labeledsk8r
06-23-2006, 09:18 PM
well i ended up putting medium grade gas in to see if it was samething with that (i highly doubt it) i still havent got a stethescope, but most likely will tomarow and do a quick check, any feedback would halp out alot, places to check or anything, im still noobish on this and i cant spend alot of money if i dont have 2, 17 and trying to save for college. thanks

labeledsk8r
06-24-2006, 02:46 PM
i picked up the stethescope today and listened to the top half of the engine as long as i could (it kept raining off and on) im not hearing anything but i dont kow what to listen for, the rattleing noise only happens when the car is driveing and over 3500rpms , ima try to get it up on ramps tomarow and listen to the underside of it tomarow my luck it will be something in the block

Pico
06-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I had the same grinding noise in mine turned out to be the a/c clutch freezing up.
I took of the a/c belt and the noise went away. It sucks now I don't have working a/c and it's hot here in the Bay Area

labeledsk8r
06-24-2006, 03:17 PM
i was actully wondering if it could be that, my a/c doesnt work anyways (wich really sucks its just as bad here in florida) and i was gona try chargeing it, but if it doesnt work after the charge ima just drop it anyways, i might try just takeing the belt off just to make sure, thanks

w261w261
06-25-2006, 04:22 AM
instead of a stethoscope, I use a breaker bar. Just put one end wherever you need it and the other by your ear. Works great, and you can stick it down into places that a stethoscope is hard to get to with.

labeledsk8r
06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
ok, well it has rained the past few days so i didnt get the chance to take the belt of the a/c compresor, but i noticed the rattleing is less, and all i had done was use the mid grade gas, so i went and gased up again this time with premium and i have ran it now for a day and i dont even hear it except for a half a second every once in a while, compared to before its virtully gone? does anyone else have to run high grade fuel?? or is this something else? ideas please,

kcaudill
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Could be valve rattle due to low octane fuel. My yota will not run on 87 octane without rattling. Or pinging others might call it

w261w261
06-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Your timing could be off, as the car should run fine on 87. I believe, but am not sure, that if you have carbon deposits in the chamber they can be a source of preignition. There are some additives that claim to be able to take care of deposits.