PDA

View Full Version : OMFG i dropped my block...

newaccorddriver
06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
well, i accidently dropped my block when i was taking it down from the engine stand. its not the fact that its a heavy block, but the floor was rather oily and i slipped. my arm took a bit of the fall, but the head portion took a huge portion of it, atleast a corner did.

i was wondering what the chances of cracking a block like that are. from what i see, there was nothing out of the ordinary on the block. i figured it would have gotten crushed a bit on the corner, but nothing appears wrong with it at all. im planning on getting the block cleaned and magnafluxed and such, so itll tell me if i screwed it up in any way, but what are the chances of the block cracking from that?

AccordEpicenter
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
tough to say it really depends on what you hit and the angle... id have to see it. Ive seen our blocks crack before, so its not that far out

newaccorddriver
06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
tough to say it really depends on what you hit and the angle... id have to see it. Ive seen our blocks crack before, so its not that far out

well, the corner of the block hit the floor. then the rest just softly landed on the floor as my arm took the rest of the hit. when it fell, i believe the flywheel side of the block hit the floor at a 45 degree angle.

im going to get it cleaned/magnafluxed soon. in the event that the block has cracked, is there any way to fix it regardless of how big or small the crack was?

88Accord-DX
06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Cast iron is pretty tough man. If it was made out of soda cans, then I would start to sweat. Still have the block magnafluxed for sure. Other than that, height, angle & thinkness of where the block play factors in if it cracked or not.

newaccorddriver
06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Cast iron is pretty tough man. If it was made out of soda cans, then I would start to sweat. Still have the block magnafluxed for sure. Other than that, height, angle & thinkness of where the block play factors in if it cracked or not.

height where it started to fall was about 2ft off the ground. my hand hit the garage door and my arm hit the floor, so maybe its total falling distance was about 1ft or so.

im totally getting it magnafluxed ASAP for peace of mind. i might get the block resurfaced cause the top portion has a bunch of head gasket parts on it and i cant get it off with a scraper anymore. if magnaflux says its no good, then that might be the end of my accord:violin:

B16KILLA
06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
if magnaflux says its no good, then that might be the end of my accord:violin:

No, dont let that be the end, I got a block I can sell you for cheap.

AccordEpicenter
06-22-2006, 02:08 PM
blocks are cheap. Ive seen the timing belt side motor mount bosses crack on at least 4 a20s, same thing with the bosses for the alternator. Id reccomend the magnaflux, if its no go then just get another block, they are still pretty cheap and plentiful

newaccorddriver
06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
No, dont let that be the end, I got a block I can sell you for cheap.

id prefer not to get raped by any shipping company.

worst case id probably try to take an engine out from a junkyard a few times, then that might truly be the end of my first car and the future projects i planned out

Acid X
06-22-2006, 04:49 PM
How's your arm? lol

crazykamper
06-22-2006, 06:35 PM
wow, that sucks!! hope ur project dont end!!! i love to see projects happenin.

how is your arm? lol. mustof hurt! lol. (sorry, its just funny. lol!)

newaccorddriver
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
arms just stratched in several places, still very noticable. hands all better though. id really hate to see this project go downhill cause of that one little incident, especially for what i put into the car and what i have planned ahead for it.

does anyone know if im supposrt to include main bearing caps when i take it in for cleaning and such?

88Accord-DX
06-23-2006, 03:09 PM
does anyone know if im supposrt to include main bearing caps when i take it in for cleaning and such?
Yes, you are. Put the main bearing caps back on the block & snug the main bearing bolts down. (not real tight)

Make sure you put them on in the right order also.

MECM
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
:omg: Well atleast it didn't fall on the car. Although it probably would have been a softer landing. :huh: