PDA

View Full Version : Drifting a 3gee

spnrx
06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
I like the drag style of racing more than the new drifting craze goin round, but I'm curious. Has anyone really drifted a 3gee, is it dificult? and What type of suspension did you have to rig?

My curiosity with this sexy style of racing has been poking me in the back of my skull.

Acid X
06-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Umm.. In my opinion it's positively retarded to try to drift in a front wheel drive car. Anywho, i figure the easiest way would be to turn in hard and pull the e-brake and counter steer if you need to.... But it seems difficult. The best way would probably be with some weight in the back, some thin/bald tires, and stiff suspension.

Yeah... Don't try it though, unless you want to look like an idiot ... lol

spnrx
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Naw I'm more for the drag strip. I wasd just curious if anyone had tried

2ndGenGuy
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
I haven't officially drift raced my car, but I've driven around wet parking lots just sliding around for fun. Pretty much there are only two ways to get sideways in a FWD car.

One is, like the above post said, use the e-brake while turning. This is the most effective way of doing it. But unless you really get a firm lock up on the rear wheels, you'll just keep going the way you were going before. You also have to be turning quite hard to make sure the back wheels will actually swing out.

The other is to come into a corner faster than you expect, sortof turn your wheel hard and then hit your regular brakes, this will usually cause the back end of the vehicle to want to overtake the front end of the vehicle and you'll go sideways a bit. Its not very easy to do and definitly not safe on the streets. I've been playing with it a bit at the autocross, but only as a way to eliminate understeer in the corners. This also can slow you down a lot if you're not ready to power out of it.

spnrx
06-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I haven't officially drift raced my car, but I've driven around wet parking lots just sliding around for fun. Pretty much there are only two ways to get sideways in a FWD car.

One is, like the above post said, use the e-brake while turning. This is the most effective way of doing it. But unless you really get a firm lock up on the rear wheels, you'll just keep going the way you were going before. You also have to be turning quite hard to make sure the back wheels will actually swing out.

The other is to come into a corner faster than you expect, sortof turn your wheel hard and then hit your regular brakes, this will usually cause the back end of the vehicle to want to overtake the front end of the vehicle and you'll go sideways a bit. Its not very easy to do and definitly not safe on the streets. I've been playing with it a bit at the autocross, but only as a way to eliminate understeer in the corners. This also can slow you down a lot if you're not ready to power out of it.

Thanks for your very detailed explination. I hope soon to get my transmission sorted and then move on to the autocross scene.

mkymonkey
06-22-2006, 02:20 AM
lol...what is this drifting you kids speak of?

speedpenguin
06-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Drifting an FWD is extremely difficult, just ask Keisuke Hatakeyama! It can be done, though.

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2006, 07:04 AM
lol...what is this drifting you kids speak of?

LMAO

thegreatdane
06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Drifting a 3gee

...is gay, using it for autox is - O.K :D

LUX88LXI
06-22-2006, 07:42 AM
if you wanna drift, get a BMW :)

gp02a0083
06-22-2006, 08:05 AM
its also called flatspotting of the rear tires, i dont see how u think its hard , some of my friends think its messed up that i can put the car into a 4 wheel "drift" but really i dont consider FWD's to drift they jsut ass drag , awd is extremly hard to drift from what i heard and i know rwd is easy in a sence

Kabuki
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Ooooh... You could swap in an LS-VTEC and the manual CR-V drivetrain and do AWD drift... That might be cool. Except for the drifting part. You know it's out when they make a Fast and the Furious movie about it.

spnrx
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
For the record I have been intriqued by drifting long before F&F. I thought it was different but then everyone and their mom hopped all over it. I don't think you should knock something that people practice for everyday just to get it right. Meh I think it's cool, not for me, but cool

ALTERED4
06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
ive been told that a large empty parking lot and mcdonalds plastic food trays work well...

reanimator420
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
yeah ass sliding is cool but all n all its not drifting, its still ass sliding and reall y burns your tires up if you aint got the mulah

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Tray sliding FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HY7evpL1Vw&search=tray%20sliding

Not to be confused with 'trace lighting.' LOL

Cheeseburger
06-22-2006, 02:01 PM
wow.... thats all i have to say....

2ndGenGuy
06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Hey cheeseburger, thats your 3000th post w00t!

reanimator420
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
cheers to cheeseburger hip hip hooray!!:cheers:

gfrg88
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
ive been told that a large empty parking lot and mcdonalds plastic food trays work well...

DAMIT!! thats what i was gonna say. just get some food trays under the rear wheels, put your ebrake up and than just go fast and turn :D:D:D you should try it out tell us how it goes :lol:

Cheeseburger
06-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey cheeseburger, thats your 3000th post w00t!

cheers to cheeseburger hip hip hooray!!:cheers:

why thank you fine gentle men :welcome:

crazykamper
06-22-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah, the trays always work VERY well. lol. just dont do it in a crowded parking lot. lol.

congrats cheeseburger

snoopyloopy
06-22-2006, 03:32 PM
i've done a bit of drifting in my 3g. i use acid x's first method--the turn and e-brake. just go into a corner faster than you think is safe, turn and as your car starts to turn e-brake it. but leaving the ebrake engaged is counter-productive. so a quick pull on it then use the gas to play with it to keep it sliding.

guaynabo89
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
OK kids........
You can NOT drift in an FF car PERIOD. Drifting is only done with rear wheel drive cars, that ia unless you decide to drop the clutch while in reverse! Then maybe you'll drift in an ff car. lol

front wheel drive cars just ass drag. While this is still fun ( especially in the snow) it is not drifting!

Damn Tokyo drift

Hash_man_Se_i
06-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Lol... with fast and the furious TD out now this was bound to happen at some point hahahahah

And I'm sorry, but drifting is not racing

gfrg88
06-22-2006, 07:30 PM
drifting is stupid, i bet people in their minvans are going to start "drifting" too. lets just stick to auto crossing and back roads :D:D

speedpenguin
06-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Lol... with fast and the furious TD out now this was bound to happen at some point hahahahah
And I'm sorry, but drifting is not racing

Hehe, true, "drift racing" is an oxymoron. however, drifting has been an established racing skill since the 60s, it's not like the Japanese invented it.

As for Fast and the Gratuitous-Tokyo Reckless Endangerment I don't think they had any front wheel drive cars in that movie. While drifting a front-drive isn't going to win you any fans, (since the trend whores here in the US can't accept anything that isn't a Toyota, Nissan or Mazda anyway). It is, in fact possible to drift a front-wheel drive car. The process may be somewhat different than with a rear-drive, but before you take the side of the "purists" I suggest you do your homework.

PS I'm not going to jump into any arguments, I've said my piece, now I'm done.

2ndGenGuy
06-23-2006, 06:31 AM
drifting is stupid, i bet people in their minvans are going to start "drifting" too. lets just stick to auto crossing and back roads :D:D

Whats wrong with drifting in your minivan? I had a Plymouth Grand Voyager with the e-brake pedal lockout broken. It was great, like having a "slide sideways" pedal. :)

Hash_man_Se_i
06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
As for Fast and the Gratuitous-Tokyo Reckless Endangerment I don't think they had any front wheel drive cars in that movie. While drifting a front-drive isn't going to win you any fans, (since the trend whores here in the US can't accept anything that isn't a Toyota, Nissan or Mazda anyway). It is, in fact possible to drift a front-wheel drive car. The process may be somewhat different than with a rear-drive, but before you take the side of the "purists" I suggest you do your homework.

I don't know if this was aimed at me, but I know that there are FWD drift cars, and some are really good. I was just stating that the actual sport of drifting is not racing in my opinion. Racing is trying to get to a point the fastest.

But yes, you can use "drifing" in actual racing/.

TheWatcher
06-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I don't know if this was aimed at me, but I know that there are FWD drift cars, and some are really good. I was just stating that the actual sport of drifting is not racing in my opinion. Racing is trying to get to a point the fastest.
I actually enjoy watching drifting much more than racing. Drifting is kinda an artform, and it's more about the skill of the driver than who owns the faster car. :)

It's kinda like japanese archery, where hitting the target is secondary to demonstrating perfect form and technique. That's why I'm not surprised that drifting became popular in Japan. The Japanese can appreciate this kind of thing, because of their cultural heritage.

Racing is kinda linear, like whether the arrow hits the bullseye. Drifting is kinda like japanese archery, it's about form and technique, not hitting the bulleyes (i.e. coming in first).

Anyone can drive fast, not everyone can drift. :)

Peace.

MECM
06-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Racing is Racing as Drifting is Drifting

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
ive drifted before in my parents minivan, toyota siena,

take a turn at about 30, and use the ebrake press and hold once, hit 2nd time to release. its really fun, gets u sliding like crazy. (and btw, the sienna is a ff, and no, u cant drift in a ff car, but i consider drifting when ur rear slides. lol.)

Hash_man_Se_i
06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Racing is kinda linear, like whether the arrow hits the bullseye. Drifting is kinda like japanese archery, it's about form and technique, not hitting the bulleyes (i.e. coming in first).

Anyone can drive fast, not everyone can drift.

I dissagree.... Unless you are talking about drag racing, it takes a lot of skill to be a good race driver. But yes it does also take a lot of skill to be able to drift.

AccordEpicenter
06-23-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah its all about car control guys. You can drift fwd, but to me it seems unnatural to do it in anything but a rwd car. Ive drifted another accord i had that i had staggered tire sizes (bigger front tires, smaller rears) and that car could get pretty damn sideways and hold it, it did need a little help from the e brake but that was only a quick jerk to upset the traction and balance of the car to get it sliding, then it was all ass out and controllable. lol, just try drifting an s2000 or a toyota mr2 or most porches for that matter, youll prolly either end up in a ditch or in a spin out.

gfrg88
06-23-2006, 09:45 PM
what if yo take out the shocks from the back, put some coilovers, jack it up all the way, take the sway bar off and reduce some weight, do you guys think it would be easier to get the ass to drag??? dont think im trying to do this, if i was trying to drift i wouldve already picked up a 240 :D

labeledsk8r
06-23-2006, 10:02 PM
i have gotten my accord to i guess drift or more slide sidways and still have controle, just used a wide open parking lot got it doing a wide loop untill the tires started loseing grip and nudged it around with the ebrake, not worth the 6 times i did it, ended up needing a new right side axel and new tires. must learn somehow i guess

bobafett
06-24-2006, 09:00 AM
after watching the new movie, i now officially want to do road racing and autox, after seeing drifting on the screen like that, i see how little i would ever want to do it! :)

fast racing ftw!

reanimator420
06-24-2006, 10:48 AM
wow you people are still posting on this drift thing lol. i thought that this thread would disapear 2 days ago lol

speedpenguin
06-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Hehe, it sorta was. It sounded like you were taking the side of the purists who hold anything related to drifting to some sort of holy nonexistent "JDM" standard. You know, like the ones who diss Initial D all the time when you know they've watched it same as everybody else.

So anyway, those people piss me off and I kinda jumped the gun on you, sorry.

I agree with you that "drift racing" is an oxymoron. Drifting began as a racing skill, but there's a time and a place for it, and even the touge racers who popularized it as a sport didn't use it on every corner they hit, just the ones where it was appropriate.

Hash_man_Se_i
06-24-2006, 04:02 PM
^^ Ya exactly... and no worries... BTW, initial D rules haha.

And IMO, touge racing is awesome, and I for one would love to partake in some touge battles. If only they had legit tracks for it.

88accordhb
06-25-2006, 10:38 PM
wtf is this fwd "drifting" shit you speak of? it does NOT exist you silly boob.

effin' hollywood....

NitroNeonRT
06-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I kinda drift my race car accord. I race an 88 accord on a dirt oval I DO NOT use an ebrake. When entring the corner i hit the brakes kinda hard and real fast and the back end drifts. Its not a hugh one but I dont want too much just a little oversteer.

ShimriC
06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Is this some kind of sick fucking joke?? 3geez are FWD!!!! How do you expect to oversteer a front wheel drive car!!

speedpenguin
06-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Is this some kind of sick fucking joke?? 3geez are FWD!!!! How do you expect to oversteer a front wheel drive car!!

Applying accelerating torque to the rear wheels is not the only way to achieve oversteer. Braking torque can be used as well. I've oversteered my Accord more than once by accident. If I cared, I could just learn how to do it on purpose and control it, and ta-da! You can drift. Not just one tailslide either, consecutive corners have been done. FWD is more difficult to drift, but it's not impossible. Not to mention that oversteer is not the only way to drift. Four-wheel drifts are common as well.

As I always say, before you judge, get some videos of Keisuke Hatakeyama in his EF hatch.

mkymonkey
06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
lol this thread is truly funny

speedpenguin
06-26-2006, 03:36 PM
lol this thread is truly funny
I'm probably degrading myself even more by saying this, but...

I agree. But hey, if this site wasn't entertaining, I wouldn't be here!

NitroNeonRT
06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/frontwheeldriveoversteer.html
http://www.rallyracingnews.com/lfb.html

NitroNeonRT
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
No responces on those links? lol

A20A3quippedbeast
07-02-2006, 05:53 PM
OK kids........
You can NOT drift in an FF car PERIOD. Drifting is only done with rear wheel drive cars, that ia unless you decide to drop the clutch while in reverse! Then maybe you'll drift in an ff car. lol
front wheel drive cars just ass drag. While this is still fun ( especially in the snow) it is not drifting!
Damn Tokyo drift

actually, in rally racing, is 90% drifting. they pretty much drive by what they see outta their side windows. anywhore, they're mostly AWD (and FF privateer cars) and u dont need the ebrake. feint, drop your tires in the dirt, scandanavian flick, blah blah blah.. its just the technique thats different. the principle is the same :)

A20A3quippedbeast
07-02-2006, 05:54 PM

like mr. penguin said...and it also helps to get as much weight off the rear wheels as possible (stiff rear suspension maybe??)