PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pipe ? test pipe VS high flow cat

Acid X
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, well, i recently bought a test pipe just to throw on the car... Ended up having a hell of a time trying to get the cat bolts off. Turns out they were rusted so bad they fused with the flanges and studs on the cat... So i took it to my exhaust guy to see if he could salvage the flanges and get the test pipe in... But he said there was no way he could do it without damaging the flanges.

So instead, he says he can just weld a pipe straight to the back of the downpipe flange. (He cut the cat out, and welded on to a piece that is part of the cat-side flange)

So now i'm running 2.25" all the way back to my muffler which is 2.5". The car is looouuuddd. But its not too bad.. I've heard much worse.

Has anyone else done this? lol

EDIT: OH! And the car runs sooooo good.. It's atleast 10% faster without the restrictive cat + stock exhaust ... Or atleast it feels like it!

2.00" and 2.25" are okay for mild aftermarket improvements, we fall around 1.75" stock and thats what our cars come with, it doesn't account for the stock cat or muffler though. When you think about it the "DEMAND" for exhaust flow is not constant... as RPM increases so does the need to flow more exhaust.

125 hp x 2.2 = 275 cfm
1.75" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 275 cfm

163 hp x 2.2 = about 360 cfm
2.00" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 360 cfm

200 hp x 2.2 = 440 cfm
2.25" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 440 cfm

cat technology is getting better so you don't have to be illegal and ditch the cat alltogether to get good performance, and not many of us here are scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for every last drop of power to win a 1/4 mile race.

Here are some high flow cats

Random Technology
Magnaflow Magnaflow Cat
(http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D94105&view=4095&N=4294867633+4294891681+4294906131+4294906122+4294 867619+4294788202+0)
CARSOUND
SMSP SMSP Spun Bodied Cat (http://sms-products.com/Converters.html)

Here is some good into on cats.
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=24
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1128725

theDougler
06-21-2006, 11:46 PM
yea i'm running straight pipe on stock exhaust with the resonator and a magnaflow muffler

Acid X
06-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Is it loud? Haha. I know mine is.

A18A
06-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Is it loud? Haha. I know mine is.
maybe a hole rusted into your exhaust, or 1 was stabbed in?!?
mine doesnt have a cat yet it has a cat light o.O wierd aye. does having no cat make a stronger exhaust presserure? coz if it dus i wanna put the cat from the other car on :)

Acid X
06-22-2006, 12:46 AM
The only thing a cat does is restrict your exhaust flow and clean the crap that comes out of the car so you can pass emissions testing... In cali, its required to have a cat... So, uh. yeah. I'm rollin' illegal. lmao.

EDIT: Also, if you had read the whole post you would have noticed i said i put in a new exhaust system... Which is why it's so loud. lol.. Not having a cat made it a whole hell of a lot louder though.

mkymonkey
06-22-2006, 02:10 AM
nice dude i cant wait to hear it at the meet since im going to do something similar. but alas i havent any money so...i have to wait a bit longer :(

theDougler
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
seeing that i am using the stock stuff its not too loud when the muffler guys here put in my muffler he turned it on with the cat and it wasn't really much louder over the stock so i he cut out the cat and welded in straight pipe. here i don't have to worry about emissions. but in vancouver they got aircare

crazykamper
06-22-2006, 10:54 AM
anybody have any experience with the High Flow Cats off ebay?? or are they b.s..... also, if i was runnin completely stock exhaust (i need to change muffler. its a lil holey. lol.) and i put in a test pipe, will it increase sound and power??? and how much louder is it?

thanks.

gfrg88
06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
the ebay "high flow cats" is what cory(acid x) is using, theyre just straight through. yes it will be louder and you will gains in performance. how loud it will be depends on other mods too. some will be louder than others.

snoopyloopy
06-22-2006, 03:26 PM
i should stick my dc headers + exhaust (not dcs exhaust, lol) on and see how loud it is. or take it down to a shop and have them fiddle with all my rust-fused bolts. how much is a good price to have a shop install a complete exhaust for me?

crazykamper
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
is there a diff between the highflow cat and the straight pipe or bpipe, or whatever they called...

Acid X
06-22-2006, 04:43 PM
the ebay "high flow cats" is what cory(acid x) is using, theyre just straight through. yes it will be louder and you will gains in performance. how loud it will be depends on other mods too. some will be louder than others.

I'm not using the test pipe. I couldn't get it on.. Re-read my thread buddy, lol.

i should stick my dc headers + exhaust (not dcs exhaust, lol) on and see how loud it is. or take it down to a shop and have them fiddle with all my rust-fused bolts. how much is a good price to have a shop install a complete exhaust for me?

Complete exhaust, probably about 100$ if you already bought the cat and muffler... Or whatevr you want to put on.

is there a diff between the highflow cat and the straight pipe or bpipe, or whatever they called...

High flow cat is emissions legal, test pipe/straight pipe is pretty much just a pipe that goes in place of a cat and does nothing for emissions at all.

Versanick
06-22-2006, 05:09 PM
some places will charge you upwards of $400 to put an exhaust on. Be very wary. Shop around and get two or three estimates. Then go tell the most expensive place what the cheapest place told you, and see what they say. If they come down great, otherwise you know who to go through..

and I love my straight pipe.

crazykamper
06-22-2006, 05:48 PM
is the test pipe better for air flow? or are they both pretty much the same?

gfrg88
06-22-2006, 07:36 PM
think of it like this, what flows better a pipe with something in the way, an actual cat. or a pipe that has nothing in the way to block the exhaust. so wich one do you think is better?? still need us to tell you ;)

3gmodifier
06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
i used to have striaght pipe but i was tired of getting pulled over. luckly i never got a ticket but you only get so many warnings from so many pigs before your in the system and they say, no more warnings. it was fuckin loud though. header, 2.25 all the way to dual mufflers. i couldnt even drive soft to keep it low. you know, when a cop is next to you, and you try to keep it low. well it doesnt work. so i went and got a cheap cat put on for $80. it is still loud but not as much and the high pich ricer sound is finnaly tamed.

88accordhb
06-22-2006, 07:53 PM
mine shot fire.

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
lol. alright, now i get it, to make a cheap straight pipe, can i just get a piece of exhaust and weld/bolt it on?? would it pretty much be the same?

mkymonkey
06-23-2006, 08:02 AM
yeah dude. the only thing a "test pipe" is....is just that. a pipe with flanges on it.

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM
ahh, i see,

is there a diff between theese 2 high flow cats(besides the price, and the fact one of them is Spoon. lol) ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-HONDA-ACCORD-HIGH-FLOW-CAT-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER_W0QQitemZ8076903873QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33 629QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPOON-SPORT-HIGH-FLOW-CAT-CONVERTER-HONDA-ACCORD-86-89_W0QQitemZ8076925771QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33629QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

Vector
06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
my car came with pace setter headers, and also with a paper showing it passed some emissions thing, dunno why someone would volenteer it around here lol.

so basically what i'm gettin at, my car obviously still has a cat if it passed this thing, is it really worth taking it off if all i do is use the car for autox?
will i see any signifigant gain?

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 08:24 AM
i say take it off if u only use it for autox. scince it says it gains power, y not do it. lol.

aerokid1987
06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Whoo, free up an amazing 2hp, lose some torque, and pollute to no end.
Ehh whatever...
I have one of those ebay resonators and a thru flow ractive stainless muffler and it is pretty loud. But I definitely noticed a gain in power after putting those suckers on.

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
wait, i lose torque and onloy gain 2hp?? that doesnt sound worth it....

PortugalFocus
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Back when I had my Accord I had a stock manifold with a hollow cat and a 2.25" pipe straight out the back.

VERY LOUD

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 10:54 AM
wow, i will try to get that hiflow cat, just cause i dont wanna be SUPER loud, and have the cops on my but all the time,

does anybody know how much power you make, and if there is a torque loss??? (im afraid to believe that u gain 2hp, but lose torque.)

theDougler
06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
just so oyu know crazy a high flow cat won't make it any quiter , you'll need a big resonator (like a glass pack or something)if you want to keep it some what quite

racerx
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
You don't need to have your flanges cut off or whatever. It's pretty easy to do actually. You'll just an angle grinder thing. This one was air powered. I took this pic of my friend using it to cut the old rusted bolts off of my 91 Prelude.

You just need to cut the head of the bolt entirely off. It'll scratch the flange (obviously) but it'll still be totally useful.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/cutting.jpg

i'd go 2.25" all the way back. If you don't have a cat, it's always best to put a second resonator in line with the muffler. Dynomax mufflers are "straight through" as in no baffles, but it turns around a couple times in the muffler.

They're definately the most power for the least sound.

Borla ProXS mufflers are seriously as straight through as it gets and they're muffling is pretty decent too, but noticeably louder than the dynomax.

Flowmaster is just a knock-off of both.

Borla ProXS muffler:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/borla2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/borla1.jpg

Straight through resonator for in-line application:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/cat2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/cat.jpg

All together, pre-welding, with mandrel bent pipes:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/ready1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/ready2.jpg

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
wow, nice, thanks for the tip, what is the glasspack u are talking about???

i wanna upgrade my exhaust soon, im thinking either keep the piping stock, or go 2.5, (wat u all think, i have almost stock car...), im gonna need a new muffler for sure, what are your recommendations, want something thats on the quiter side, but i can still get power out of....

aerokid1987
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Don't go 2.5 by all means you will definitely lose torque if you do that unless you have serious engine upgrades. I recommend a real high flow cat(not just a resonator like the ebay cheapies) and a free flow muffler. Generally glasspacks sound pretty ricey on our cars, although I guess it depends on the glasspack you get...

aerokid1987
06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
WOOT I gots three hundred posts :D lol

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
wow, ok, good to know, where can i get a Real Free Flow Cat?

and thanks to know about the mufflers... i will prob go with thedynomax one then.

how restrictive is the piping on the stock exhaust? and what kinda piping should i go with if i were to get new piping???

(aerokid1987, congrats!!!!)

snoopyloopy
06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Complete exhaust, probably about 100$ if you already bought the cat and muffler... Or whatevr you want to put on.
no, i have a complete exhaust system sitting in my garage. i just need to jack up my car one day and use a lot of pb blaster or pay someone to do it. i have dcs headers + 2.25" piping all the way to the muffler and a hi-flow cat. i just need it installed.

gfrg88
06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
i say go with a free flowing, as in straight through muffler and test pipe, 2" exhaust to keep the torque up ;)

88Accord-DX
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a resonator. 2.25 inch on stock exhaust. Car is somewhat louder with it.

88Accord-DX
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Double post.

crazykamper
06-23-2006, 08:02 PM
wait, i dont get it, so if i want torque, get a smaller size exhaust???

also, what about the flow through stuff, and all the mufflers and stuff, its a friday, im a lil lazy to look. lol.

can someone please post links to where i can get them, and what stuff is the best........

racerx
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
You are not going to lose torque by removing the cat...

The only time you lose torque is if you open up the exhaust too much. Meaning, if you have 2.5" or greater size diameter pipes and whatnot in your exhaust (no turbo), it's probably going to lost LOW END torque, but perform better up top (hp AND torque).

Reason being, the gases will move better with the reduced restriction when the engine is moving at greater speeds and producing more exhaust. However, when the engine is moving slower, that gas will build up and slowly chug out the back.
Increased volume of piping = reduced velocity of gases. (at lower RPM's anyway)

However, there IS a balance. Your stock exhaust is TOO tight. The gases could still move just as fast, but breathe better up top at somewhere around a 2.25" diameter.

Any larger than that and you'll be slowing down the low-rpm exhaust too much, and you'll lose LOW END torque (but your high end HP will improve).

Larger exhausts on turbo applications (3" +) actually cause more turbo lag because they're so huge. However, there's a huge benefit in the higher RPM's so it's worth it.

All this to say, if you keep the replacement of the Cat the same diameter of the rest of your exhaust, it'll only improve both low end torque and high end hp. (breathes easier on both ends)

Acid X
06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
THeres more than a 2hp increase, i can tell you that right now... Haha. It's gotta be at LEAST 5hp.. I'm running 2.25" all the way back to the muffler, which is a 2.5" magnaflow straight through (literally, you can see through it).

The sound isnt bad at all, actually. If you keep your rpms low, it's a little bassy, but it's fine.. I've had cops behind me twice since i've done this without problem... I figure, if you keep the rpms low and drive like a NORMAL PERSON, you'll be fine.

racerx
06-24-2006, 05:50 PM
oh ya definately more than 2 ponies. it'd be even better if your muffler was 2.25"

Acid X
06-24-2006, 07:39 PM
oh ya definately more than 2 ponies. it'd be even better if your muffler was 2.25"
Then i wouldnt have the deep sound.. It'd sound even more raspy than it already does.

mkymonkey
06-24-2006, 07:50 PM
yeah thats what im goin to do. but then again im planning (key word planning) on turbo. so i think im going to mix match everything...just as a theory. im going to go with 2.25 to a 2.5 high flow magnaflow cat...back to 2.25 piping and slowly back to the 2.5 muffler i have. but i dont know if this is even going to work lol. so im contamplating on just going 2.25 all the way back to just the 2.5 muffler just like mr. cory has. cuz i do want a low rumble and not the honda rasp. so i dont know what the fuck im going to do. i guess i just have to think about it good enough before i buy anything else. :D

but what do you guys think?

Acid X
06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm sure you've heard matt's car (b16killa).. With magnaflow mufflers the exhaust is going to be raspy... Mine didnt get raspy until the exhaust got more free flowing like it is now... I think no matter what you do you'll have some sort of raspyness...

mkymonkey
06-24-2006, 07:55 PM
yeah but like ive heard other cars that are at 2.25 and they sound like they've been smoking for their whole fucking life. and yours doesnt sound like that. it sounds more grumbly than raspy.

Acid X
06-24-2006, 08:10 PM
yeah but like ive heard other cars that are at 2.25 and they sound like they've been smoking for their whole fucking life. and yours doesnt sound like that. it sounds more grumbly than raspy.
That was before i finished my exhaust.. Now that i finished it it's raspy like Matt's (b16killa). Haha trust me, you'll hear it tomorrow... It's nuts. And it smells bad, lol

mkymonkey
06-24-2006, 08:16 PM
lol yeah my after the seafoam i can smell the exhaust way more. i mean its gross almost makes me dizzy when driving.

B16KILLA
06-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey fuckers quit baggin on my raspiness. It only got raspy when I got my header, and another reason why it's raspy is because it has a tapered tip to look stock. lol

mkymonkey
06-24-2006, 08:49 PM
blah blah blah blah:blah: :violin:

hahahahaha

racerx
06-24-2006, 10:17 PM
yeah thats what im goin to do. but then again im planning (key word planning) on turbo. so i think im going to mix match everything...just as a theory. im going to go with 2.25 to a 2.5 high flow magnaflow cat...back to 2.25 piping and slowly back to the 2.5 muffler i have. but i dont know if this is even going to work lol. so im contamplating on just going 2.25 all the way back to just the 2.5 muffler just like mr. cory has. cuz i do want a low rumble and not the honda rasp. so i dont know what the fuck im going to do. i guess i just have to think about it good enough before i buy anything else. :D

but what do you guys think?

If you're gonna be goin up and down in sizes like Oprah on weight watchers, just make sure you have nice smooth transitions.

If raspiness is what you're tryin to avoid (and it ought to be!), quick and abrupt changes in pipe size will kill any attempt to cover it. A sudden decrease in pressure (sudden increase in volume) will make a "pop" noise, which sounds more like a fart. Do that 7000 times a minute and a it sounds like the nursing homes of america collectively lost control of their bowels.

A sudden choke of volume will create a hiss of sorts and a funky muted pop thing... and kill your performance.

If you really wanna make it sound smooth, take a round metal file and gently rub down the inside tips of every pipe or flange that's coming together. Even that extra 1mm of smoothness will improve the sound and performance of the car. Air resistance is your enemy. Every little stub stickin out can deprive it.

crazykamper
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
wow. good to know!!! would it be cheaper for an exhaust shop to make me a 2.25 piping all the way back, or would the monza piping work?

gfrg88
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
the monza piping is good, but the muffler is crap, so id just go to a shop to get it all done their, it might even be cheaper and you can get whatever you wnat

1987HondaAccord
06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I stopped paying attention to what was being said half way through the 2nd page. it sounded like:

blah blah oprah blah raspy blah blah bigger blah blah blah smaller blah blah hp roxorz blah.

so who wants to by the test pipe that I had installed on my hatchback, and who wants either the dynomax welded to stock piping or the stock muffler on stock piping?

A20A1
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
The key diameters and lengths for velocity and "Exhaust Scavenging" are the pipes after the header (Secondary pipes/Collector) and the diameter of the header pipes (Primaries). For N/A 2.0L 4cyl. if you give a decent amount of straight 2" pipe after the header, preferably tuned lenght, then the CAT can be larger for added flow, something like 2.75" and also double as an EXHAUST STEP.

Instead of an open header where the collector exits to the atmosphere to give a return exhaust pulse, the larger diameter CAT or MUFFLER will provide room for gas to expand simmilar as thought it was exiting to atmosphere and will give you a broad return pulse at the tuned length. After the CAT you can have a smooth taper back to 2" or 2.25" exhaust pipe.

I found that a muffler installed closer to the header sounds nicer, but I havent added pipe all the way to the rear after the muffler when I ran it that way.

If the muffler flows enough cfm for your application you can be pretty sure that you wont lose power. Take a straight pipe that can flow 300cfm and a muffler can flow 300cfm then they are both equal... not true on every level but you get the idea you're not losing flow. So the muffler isn't giving you anymore backpressure then you had with the straight pipe.

Install a muffler at or after the tunned length, the exhaust exit should open past the rear of the car body to avoid it resonating with the car body wich can add to interior exhaust noise.

here are some exhaust theory notes for those interested.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352

Also if you can afford it don't pass up exhaust ceramic coatings before the cat.

crazykamper
06-27-2006, 06:19 PM
wow,

87 acccord, how much for the test pipe?

1987HondaAccord
06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
10 bucks picked up since its used? I'm not sure how much shipping will be, but I could check.

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
you guys know that the only reason you're seeing an increase is because your old cats were clogged, right? a new magnaflow highflow cat doesn't have much effect at all on your power. buy the cat, stay legal, and you'll be happier since i won't be great-stuffing your exhaust anytime soon.

mkymonkey
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
what do you guys think of exhaust wrap? i would really like to hear what A20A1 has to say about this. im thinking of wrapping my headers. i know it promotes more rust but what if the headers and down pipe are ceramic coated?

Vanilla Sky
06-30-2006, 05:05 AM
wrap is cheap, and pretty good for manifolds and headers that are cheap, like are common with american V8 cars. with the price of our headers, it's something i'm not too keen on. heat rap can cause your header(s)/manifold to melt into a pile of metal. i would think it were an uncommon thing, but i've heard of it happening a few times. i at least would keep from wrapping the header. the rest of the exhaust is a maybe, just to keep velocity up.

again, a20a1 is a much better person to get a response from than myself.

mkymonkey
06-30-2006, 06:43 AM
yeah i know ive heard that they rust like a mother fucker after a couple of years. and if they're cheap way less than that. apparently so bad that they rust through making nice lil holes in your header. but i dunno how it would hold up if the header is treated with a ceramic coat. would it just eat throuth that? im asking because with this stock one the heat gets so high that the freaking caked on coolant thats scattered in my engine bay (water pump blew up...quite literaly but thats another story) starts to smell. so i would really like to know

again, a20a1 is a much better person to get a response from than myself.

i hope he see's this cuz i really really want to know...especially from an expert like him :D

FyreDaug
06-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Yeah pacesetter header to a 2.5" "reducer" and using 2 straight through glass packs, no cat, no muffs.... Its acceptable volume

racerx
06-30-2006, 08:19 AM
I've wrapped mine and had some friends wrap theirs, stock and aftermarket. I can definately say that it reduces underhood temperatures by 40%, at least.

I haven't seen or heard of any people I know with pacesetter headers having them crack or leak or whatever. They're made out of slightly stronger material than DC headers, just not as shiney or cool lookin. If your headers are ceramic coated, I hear you're not supposed to wrap them... I can't remember why...

But seriously, why are you worried about rust? They're gonna be covered with wrap anyway!

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
^ but rust eventually would make holes, and it wouldnt work as well....

yo 87accord, how far away are you from newport beach, or santa barbara? maybe you can ship it? lemme know how much it is to 93117.... thanks.

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
what about wrapping the stock exhaust mani, thats something im willing to do. lol. scince it wouldnt be for long till i get myself enough mani, would it be worth the couple bucks for the tape?? (i still dont know though how long till i get a new mani, cause i have other prioritys.....)

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 09:39 AM
um, newb q, lol. what is egts?? lol.

(or wild guess, exhaust temps?)

FyreDaug
06-30-2006, 09:56 AM
exhaust gas temps yes

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 10:02 AM
aight, thats what i though, if it falls through, i will be getting that straight pipe from 87accord, (hope it dont make my car CRAZY loud!! lol)

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
oh, wait, before i get it, will it make any lights go on on my dash? will check engine or anything go on? i have fi....

racerx
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
what about wrapping the stock exhaust mani, thats something im willing to do. lol. scince it wouldnt be for long till i get myself enough mani, would it be worth the couple bucks for the tape?? (i still dont know though how long till i get a new mani, cause i have other prioritys.....)

yeah you can do that. I've seen people wrap their stock prelude headers which are more tubular, but it works great. same reduction in engine bay temps, lets your battery live longer, drops your intake temp (cuz the ambient air isn't as hot), eases the cooling process of your engine....

all sorts of benefits. and i've never heard of anything happening to stock manifolds.

yeah, rust might lead to holes, but when was the last time you saw a hole in a rusted stock manifold? And those things are as rusted as it gets.

if you're really worried about it, just paint your headers with 1200 degree paint, give it a couple coats, let it dry, drive around a little to make sure it set, and THEN wrap it.

no, getting a cat replacement will not do anything to your engine, nor will you throw any codes

2drSE-i
06-30-2006, 11:30 AM
nah it wont be too loud as long as you have a decent muffler. my friends altima has a magnaflow rice cannon, while i have a magnaflow oval muffler, i have no cat, he has one, and his makes you want to shoot yourself sitting in the back, where as mine is fine, even with the back seat down.

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
i still gots my stock exhaust, all i have done to my engine is intake (soon to be installed as soon as i get monkeys filter) and thats about it. my cars pretty freakin stock. just looking for some better breathing, and more power....

how about smell wise, will i be able to smell the fumes ALOT more with this on?

A20A1
06-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Wrapped with DEI Exhaust wrap.
You'll notice it burning and you'll get the fumes in the car.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/0_header_wrapped.jpg

It helps :) but don't wast any money on wire boot covers. :(
also here is a pic when I coated it with high temp ceramic paint.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/0_Header_coated.jpg

2drSE-i
06-30-2006, 09:32 PM
u wont notice fumes unless you sit parked with the windows down and the car on. which i dont advise with or without a cat lol.

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 10:01 PM
lol. sounds great, but what about when the car is just started in the garage?? will it stink up the garage like crazy ( with it open, not closed obviously...)

mkymonkey
06-30-2006, 10:58 PM
so i take it you guys have nothing against exhaust wrap huh?

2drSE-i
06-30-2006, 11:01 PM
wudnt know i have no exhaust wrap. the smell is bad, but its bearable. its not like shit in a closed room.

crazykamper
06-30-2006, 11:03 PM
monkey : guess so, i might just have to do this stuff. we shall see.

2dr, so its not that bad, but it is bad, how about the sound of the car, im gonna install an intake (as soon as i get the filter from monkey,) and basically thats all, what will the car sound like? deep and throaty? or ricey,......

mkymonkey
06-30-2006, 11:21 PM
it will sound just like any other honda with an intake...except a bit deaper and yes throaty. you'll especially like the sound when the secondaries open up :D i wish we could have met up when you came over here so i would have shown you. i mean most of the questions you ask i could show you the answers on my car. :rolleyes:

Vanilla Sky
07-01-2006, 12:11 AM
i've seen a couple of low quality cast manifolds, and a few mid-quality headers screwed up with wrap. i don't know if it would be worse on the street or not, but i've only seen problems out of dirt track cars. i'd go for it unless i had a DC header.

gfrg88
07-01-2006, 08:58 AM
it will sound just like any other honda with an intake...except a bit deaper and yes throaty. you'll especially like the sound when the secondaries open up :D

for some reason i cant hear my secondaries kick in :dunno: :rofl:

MessyHonda
07-01-2006, 09:05 AM
for some reason i cant hear my secondaries kick in :dunno: :rofl:

music too loud?...lol

gfrg88
07-01-2006, 09:53 AM
music too loud?...lol

bwahahaha, i dont have secondaries i have a b16 IM :lol:

A20A1
07-01-2006, 02:07 PM
i've seen a couple of low quality cast manifolds, and a few mid-quality headers screwed up with wrap. i don't know if it would be worse on the street or not, but i've only seen problems out of dirt track cars. i'd go for it unless i had a DC header.

My wrap didn't hurt the cast manifold, eventually the wrap does deteriorate and starts cracking apart. Wrap the pipe under the pan to help shield your oil from extra heat as well.

The exhaust sound on my car was deeper and the idle was higher after a few hard runs.

Vanilla Sky
07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
yes, but our cast manifolds are of reasonable quality. i've not ever had experience with wrap on anything other than american v8s.

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 04:44 PM
wait, why not wrap the cai??? lol. wouldnt that help block out heat? or does that keep heat inside?

mkymonkey
07-01-2006, 04:50 PM
well i have a dc header that i really dont care for because i paid 30 bucks for it. so im going to wrap it...since you guys dont seem to have a problem with it. well we'll see what happens

mkymonkey
07-01-2006, 04:51 PM
wait, why not wrap the cai??? lol. wouldnt that help block out heat? or does that keep heat inside?

they have other type of wrap for that

racerx
07-01-2006, 09:04 PM

exhaust wrap is designed to stay on metal at extreme temps, and can only insulate so much. in fact, it works better once it's been "cooked" on.

for the CAI, i sprayed all my intake tubes with about 7 layers of rubber undercoating. you can pick it up at any parts store in the same section as the spray paint. rubber undercoating takes about 1-2 days to harden, but once it does, you've got a couple millimeters of pure rubber insulation. Nothing beats it, except of course, something like water heater blanket material (for your house water heater...)

...who would do such a thing......... *whistles innocently*

mkymonkey
07-01-2006, 09:17 PM
lol...dont domestic guys do that to their charge pipes that come off their intercooler? i the ones that use a pulley supercharger. ive seen it on many m3's as well.

racerx
07-01-2006, 09:42 PM
i have no idea to be honest... i've never heard of anyone else doing it, but i can guarantee nothing else insulates better. too bad it looks like you "stole something off of Apollo 17's lunar lander" as someone on here so aptly put it

sinisterfuzzy
07-02-2006, 06:21 AM
i have this set-up as well pretty much, it's so loud, but my flex pipe is leaking like a mofo so i think that's why it's louder lol... i've been pulled over twice for this...but it's dumb cuz it's not even as loud as a LOT of the trucks out here.

crazykamper
07-03-2006, 01:40 PM
wow, ok, now i see, i was changin the oil today, and was thinkin about how easy it would be to get my bolts out, nothings rusted AT ALL (Very nice car!) so if i get one hopefully it'll be aight...

racerx
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
must be a new exhaust recently or something... just the oxygen in the atmosphere is enough to begin corroding iron and steel. (plus the humidity...)

i'd be flippantly exuberant if it really isn't rusted though. :D

A20A1
07-07-2006, 12:29 PM

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=639427#post639427

You are not going to lose torque by removing the cat...

The only time you lose torque is if you open up the exhaust too much. Meaning, if you have 2.5" or greater size diameter pipes and whatnot in your exhaust (no turbo), it's probably going to lost LOW END torque, but perform better up top (hp AND torque).

yup those big pipes will move your torque up so high you'll never see it again :bong:

TdotWarrior
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
just a question....
so i went to a place in toronto called majestic mufflers and they apparently specialize in mufflers but i told the guy i had a 87 accord and its a stock engine and im not looking for a performance muffler just a street one that would make noise and he told me that i would need a new cat to get a decent amount of noise and a magnaflow exhast...... the cat is $250 and the magnaflow is also 250.... 500 bux for that.. is that shit overpriced or what?

and also do i really need to remove my cat in order to get a ok amount of noise

crazykamper
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
the cat is WAY over priced, go to ebay, they are like 50$, i donno about the muffler though, the cat from what im told will increase the noise, and it will be deep and loud.

TdotWarrior
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
see i dont want it that deep i just want to make it go vroom.... so should i get a resonator or sum shit...

crazykamper
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
a20ai, thanks for that pic of differences....... i will try to get a test pipe, or will be getttin a high flow cat.....

also, is there a way to get a test pipe, and weld the whole for emmisions on there, and somehow make it look like a cat? say just weld 1/2 the cat on, so it looks like it if i get pulled over or inspected?

tdotwarrior, someone that knows the answer to this, will tell you, i dont, so im just gonna keep my mouth shut for now. lol.

A20A1
07-07-2006, 05:39 PM
just a question....
so i went to a place in toronto called majestic mufflers and they apparently specialize in mufflers but i told the guy i had a 87 accord and its a stock engine and im not looking for a performance muffler just a street one that would make noise and he told me that i would need a new cat to get a decent amount of noise and a magnaflow exhast...... the cat is $250 and the magnaflow is also 250.... 500 bux for that.. is that shit overpriced or what?
and also do i really need to remove my cat in order to get a ok amount of noise
2.00" and 2.25" are okay for mild aftermarket improvements, we fall around 1.75" stock and thats what our cars come with, it doesn't account for the stock cat or muffler though. When you think about it the "DEMAND" for exhaust flow is not constant... as RPM increases so does the need to flow more exhaust.

If you have an old cat replace it.

125 hp x 2.2 = 275 cfm
1.75" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 275 cfm

163 hp x 2.2 = about 360 cfm
2.00" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 360 cfm

200 hp x 2.2 = 440 cfm
2.25" Single Exhaust pipe flows about 440 cfm

cat technology is getting better so you don't have to be illegal and ditch the cat alltogether to get good performance, and not many of us here are scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for every last drop of power to win a 1/4 mile race.

Here are some high flow cats

Random Technology
Magnaflow Magnaflow Cat
(http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D94105&view=4095&N=4294867633+4294891681+4294906131+4294906122+4294 867619+4294788202+0)
CARSOUND
SMSP SMSP Spun Bodied Cat (http://sms-products.com/Converters.html)

Here is some good into on cats.
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=24
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1128725

gfrg88
07-07-2006, 05:46 PM
a20ai, thanks for that pic of differences....... i will try to get a test pipe, or will be getttin a high flow cat.....

also, is there a way to get a test pipe, and weld the whole for emmisions on there, and somehow make it look like a cat? say just weld 1/2 the cat on, so it looks like it if i get pulled over or inspected?

tdotwarrior, someone that knows the answer to this, will tell you, i dont, so im just gonna keep my mouth shut for now. lol.

take your stock cat out, cut it in half remove all the insides to make it straight through, then take it to some place to get welded back together and youve got youself a new cat. ;)

racerx
07-07-2006, 08:36 PM
take your stock cat out, cut it in half remove all the insides to make it straight through, then take it to some place to get welded back together and youve got youself a new cat. ;)

you don't even need to do that. just take a screwdriver or some other large, blunt object, stick it in the cat and beat the end of it with a hammer. that shit in there is mostly porcelein so it just breaks apart and falls out.

crazykamper
07-08-2006, 08:25 PM
^ lol. wait, but ive heard that it is like bad for air or something, i donno, something bad for economy or something, but oh well, rest of world is doin it, why not! lol.

mkymonkey
07-08-2006, 08:56 PM
thats the one i just bought but the round version. still hasnt arrived and it will be a couple of weeks before i install it...ill let you guys know how it sounds

paso100
07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Here's the one specific for our cars:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mpe-22623_w.jpg
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D22623&N=400636+4294907813+4294925005+4294907606+42948676 20+4294906228+115&autoview=sku
I just bought mine from Summit and will probably have it installed in a few days. I'm going to try ONE more time to remove those damn bolts/nuts. Tried Liquid Wrench, cussing a lot ... nothing seemed to work.:violin:

A20A1
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I usually bang the flange very very very hard from the side... trying to get one flange to slide across the other.

Just be careful to wear eye protection if working under the car... or remove the exhaust pipe from the car it's a lot easier to work on it.

gfrg88
07-09-2006, 02:55 AM
^ lol. wait, but ive heard that it is like bad for air or something, i donno, something bad for economy or something, but oh well, rest of world is doin it, why not! lol.

:stupid: so why do want a test pipe then?!?!?!:dunno:

Acid X
07-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Man, this thread certainly blew up.

Lots of good info though, haha. Thanks for the link to that high flow cat.

crazykamper
07-09-2006, 01:07 PM
^ i want a test pipe so my car has more performance.

thanks for the links on the cats.... i will prob get a highflow magnaflow cat, scince its same price as ebay one

3rdgeneration
07-10-2006, 11:41 AM
my brothers running a side pipe, goes from the down pipe and comes out the right side , right before the rear tire, sounds pretty mean