PDA

View Full Version : hooray for carb troubles

viper15c
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Today I bought an 89 Accord dx. it is carburated. And I am having quite a bit of problems with it. Fast idle is normal when warming up, idles at about 1k though when it does warm up which is fine with me. Sometimes when i crank it up after i shut it off for a while it will go way beyond fast idle like 4.5k and stays there for a few minutes then goes to normal. Also the thing has no power at all. When I say this I mean that if i floor it in any gear at any speed, its like blah. It will go but very slowly. Has low end torque but nothing past 4k. The guy did say that he put a rebuilt carb on it. The engine code is BS I believe. It is single cam and single carb. Anyone have some ideas?

Whistler225
06-23-2006, 02:45 PM
when you press the pedal to the floor, does the engine bog down roughly, or does it just have no guts? One thing to check would be your choke opener. My choke was stuck shut when I got my car. Obviously, you should check all of your vacuum lines and anywhere else you could have a vacuum leak, since most of the items that control your idle etc are vacuum actuated. Also, make sure your coolant is full. You have a thermo-valve that controls some aspects of your carb's performance, and it needs full coolant. I would also check your timing. Another common problem with fuel delivery in these cars are the fuel filters. I would change them both just to be safe. Also I would change out your air filter if you haven't already. If the carb can't get air, it won't perform very well. Start with the inexpensive stuff first and work your way up until you find the problem.

viper15c
06-23-2006, 08:28 PM
it doesnt bog down it has no guts.i have no bottom end whatsoever. anything above 4k is worthless. i will check the choke tomorrow and tell you what i find. im really new to the whole carb situation.
thanks for the info

VTEC_Inside
06-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Here is something you can try without taking too much apart.

There is a Thermovalve near the coolant bleeder. I can't remember which but one of the lines goes back towards the secondary diaphragm on the carb.

The secondary is on the right side of the carb if you are looking at it from the front of the car. You should be able to see the hose going to it and T'ing off to the valve I mentioned. Pull that hose off the valve and plug it. Then take it for a drive.

If your secondary wasn't working before, it stands a better chance of working now.

I've done this on mine because the thermovalve is screwed. Mine never really felt weak up though, weaker, but not spineless. Absolutely no comparisson to what its like now though.

viper15c
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
thanks i will give that a try. if i ever wanted to goto another carb, what would be good to use? i would say the weber sidedrafts but this is not a sidedraft manifold.

A20A1
06-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Not much out there for the stock manifold.

You can go weber 32/36, 34, or 38. They use the same adapter plate for our manifold.