PDA

View Full Version : front crossmember for '85 accord

Lori Caterini
06-25-2006, 06:23 AM
Hello-

My 1985 Accord only has 70,000 miles on it- I love this car. The front cross member is badly rusted and has broken on one side. I have called local junkyards and searched on line and have not found the part. Rust-wise the midwest sucks. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

Vector
06-25-2006, 06:58 AM
hi, sorry honda no longer makes this part as me and a friend found out, how ever, the front cross member from a sedan or hatch of the same years will work(84-85)
even tho they have diferent part numbers.

its what we ended up getting, sand it alittle, and some protective paint along with a set of bushings, it was like new.

providing the doner isnt rusted tobad it should come out in 20-30min

secure bottom of engine, unbolt front engine mount, unbolt lower trailing arms , then unbolt from chassis.

you might want to pick up some assorted metric bolts, as a few broke off the 2gen we were workin on due to rust.

Lori Caterini
06-25-2006, 10:45 AM
thanks. vector- glad to know i have some flexibility.....

Legend_master
06-25-2006, 11:00 AM
will this not work

Front Crossmemeber (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1985&catcgry3=3DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+BULKHEAD-FRONT+WHEELHOUSE)

88LXi68
06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Did you try www.car-part.com?

Swap_File
06-25-2006, 11:46 PM
I saw a few 2nd generation Accords at UpullRparts (www.upullrparts.com) in Minnesota last time I was there... But they probably have similar rust problems. I did not examine them closely.

Lori Caterini
06-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks very much, www.car-parts.com came through! I found the part in SC. This website was the best one and the only one which yielded results.
Google searches for the part showed sites with the same process (type make, year ect. of the car to get a yard which has the part) but NONE showed a match.

offthahook
06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
SC should be rust free or close to it. That site is the shiz. Just wish they listed the VIN on some of the parts and were a little more specific. Haven't found one that is even close, though. Just think, someday it will prolly have pics!!! Junkyard inventorying and computers is a fairly new process... Glad you found your part.

Ichiban
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I actually have one, from an 85 hatch. I got it with my BT-1/5-speed and it turned out it does me absolutely no good, it is in fair shape with both trailing arms...

Lori Caterini
06-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks guy- I hope the trailing arms are still OK on my original. My mechanic is out of town so this process is dragging, as gravity pulls the motor ever closer to the ground. Mean time I'll drive my stylish but thirsty '93 Lumina Van. The spacious dash is a stage for bobble heads.