PDA

View Full Version : About to make a decision, need opinions please.

maxsideburn
06-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Ok, I have a set of Tokico blues sitting in my living room. Here are the 3 options I'm currently considering:

Using the Tokicos with my stock springs
Using my Tokicos with some Vogtland 1.2" drop springs
or using the Tokicos with some cheap eBay coilovers

Now I recently installed a front strut-tower brace, and it has made a slight difference, but which of the above options do you guys think would be the best to further improve my handling? Keep in mind I don't really care about lowering my car for the way it looks, only if it truly helps with handling. If you think my car would handle pretty good with stock springs and Tokicos I may just do that. But then what else could I do to help the handling?

88accordhb
06-25-2006, 10:30 PM
i dont know what Vogland springs are. go with a good set of like eibach, h&r or neuspeed or something they're probably 150 bucks or something. the ebay coilover systems aren't bad, but the springs snap easy, these are like the ebay brands like bomz or drop zones. that's assuming you want to lower your car, if not, stock will be fine.

frantik
06-26-2006, 04:03 AM
from what i understand you'll notice the greatest improvement if you just leave the stock spings cause the shocks can control them more easily.

i'm planning on doing my shocks and springs next so i've been paying attention.. lots of people say good things about tokicos with H&R springs. I'm going to get H&Rs myself and match them with koni reds up front and tokicos in the back. i would like to drop the car somewhat but don't want a super stiff ride and H&Rs are the closest drop spring to stock

maxsideburn
06-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Well that's mostly what I'm wanting to know. If the drop is mostly for looks, because if I'll get just as good of performance from leaving stock springs I'll just do that.

88accordhb
06-26-2006, 07:30 AM
well not just lowering for performance. you will also need stuff like sway bars, tower bars and camber kits if you lower it more than 1.5 inches so your tires dont ware uneven. also an alignment.

frantik
06-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Well that's mostly what I'm wanting to know. If the drop is mostly for looks, because if I'll get just as good of performance from leaving stock springs I'll just do that.

yeah you should probably just go with the stock springs then.. it's cheaper too :D

though supposedly lowering the car does help with handling because the car has a lower center of gravity. i guess it depends on if the shocks can handle the springs

AZmike
06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Using Tokicos limits you to softer springs--like the stock parts. Lowering the car and using stiffer springs can improve the response and handling, but requires stronger shocks than you have.

A matched set of stiffer sway bars along with your Tokicos and stock springs should make a good combination.

maxsideburn
06-26-2006, 12:57 PM
i think that's the setup I'm going to go with. My front strut tower brace, stock springs, Tokico blue struts, and better sway bars ;) Thanks for the advice guys.