PDA

View Full Version : How to: Replace Motor Mounts

mhopton
06-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Does anyone have a good how to for replacing motor mounts? Torque rod is no problem, but will be placing the front, rear, side and tranny mount. This is an 89 Accord LX auto and the original mounts are still in place.
If you have some tips, tricks, etc, let me know. I don't have a winch, or any specialized tools, just a pair of jackstands, a 3-ton floor jack, and regular old tools.
thanks for your help.
Mike

SteveDX89
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Loosen the bolts. Put the jack under the oil pan to support the engine and jack it up a little to get the weight off the mount. Then take the bolts out and swap the new one in. Do them one at a time.

carotman
06-28-2006, 11:45 AM
make sure to put a piece of wood between the pan and the jack to distribute the weight. If not, you could dent the pan.

Strugglebucket
06-28-2006, 08:42 PM
you'll need a torque wrench. download the shop manual if you haven't already so you can look up the torque specs. follow the manual's tightening sequence for each mount so the weight is loaded properly.

mhopton
06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
:omg: Did this job tonight in about 2 hours. I replaced all mounts: front, side, rear, tranny and both torque rod bushings. The ONLY bitch of it was getting the front mount back inbetween the mount, the cooling fan and the lower cross brace. The front mount and rear mount were broken in half - completely. The torque rod bushings, side mount and tranny mount were all in decent shape, but they got replaced too.

All in all it was a 2.5 out of 5 lounge chairs for difficulty. No special tools req'd except a lot of 3/8" socket extensions.

Car is muuuuuuuuch smoother now. Total cost for all mounts was ~135. Local shop wanted ~$575 for parts and labor :omg:

chainz
07-01-2006, 04:21 AM
:omg: Did this job tonight in about 2 hours. I replaced all mounts: front, side, rear, tranny and both torque rod bushings. The ONLY bitch of it was getting the front mount back inbetween the mount, the cooling fan and the lower cross brace. The front mount and rear mount were broken in half - completely. The torque rod bushings, side mount and tranny mount were all in decent shape, but they got replaced too.
All in all it was a 2.5 out of 5 lounge chairs for difficulty. No special tools req'd except a lot of 3/8" socket extensions.
Car is muuuuuuuuch smoother now. Total cost for all mounts was ~135. Local shop wanted ~$575 for parts and labor :omg:

Where did you get your replacement mounts from?

chainz
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
anyone know?

Pico
07-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Where did you get your replacement mounts from?
I got my mounts from one of the local Napa stores...
But some of the guys here will tell you to go to the dealer because of better quality.

timber_cruiser
07-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I also have an 89 honda that had bad motor moounts. I ordered a set of front and back lower mounts from Majestic Honda. Great service and low cost for Honda parts. I used a floor jack and long extension with knuckle joint on my socket wrench to remove the mounts bolts. No other special tools required.
What a difference it makes to have new mounts!!! It is like a new car with smooth idle.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm