PDA

View Full Version : The Cans and Can'ts of Emissions - Possible Sticky?

MIK3
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, I was just wondering if we could conduct a list, or a possible sticky thread for all of the individuals on 3geez who need emissions (both E.F.I guys and Carbed guys). This way, people who need emissions know what they can do to they're car to and still be able to pass emissions and what they can't do (or if they do, have the knowledge to know how to replace back to stock internals so that they can pass emissions). Just thought that would be something handy.

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
this is a great idea. it also needs to be noted that mods to the emissions equipment is a felony. it's not really pursued, but i know of several shops that got into huge trouble over removing cats.

HostileJava
06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Where I live, Northampton County, PA, you have to have all your emmisions there, but it's only a visual inspection, they don't test them for functionality. I believe that applies to all cars 1990 and older.

Strugglebucket
06-28-2006, 02:10 PM
don't know about carb, but efi you can run a mild cam regrind and still pass emissions easily.

MIK3
06-29-2006, 12:26 AM
I just think this would be a useful thing for a lot of the carb fellows who plan on going webbered and what not, ya know?

Ichiban
06-29-2006, 12:42 AM
So much differs from place to place I think it'd be impossible to come up with a comprehensive "how to", if you will.

Vanilla Sky
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM
generally, that keeps you from passing the visual inspection.

personally, i think visual is BS. if a car can operate as cleanly without the parts installed as one with the parts installed, then the car with the equipment removed shouldn't be penalized. and you guys see how big i am on that stuff. just hook the car up to a tail pipe sniffer and let that be enough.

visual is good for suspension and other safety equipment, but BS on emissions.

Ichiban
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
how many inspection fags are gonna know that your EGR isn't connected? My BT-1 motor doesn't even have it, and its EFI. If you're running a carb and did the vac removal or even an aftermarket carb, as long as it looks clean (ie not a bunch of 1 inch vac lines with woodscrews plugging them) are they going to check that each vaccuum component is present and functioning for that exact model?

Maybe they do, I dunno, no aircare here.

mkymonkey
06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
well here's my contribution to this thread.

-an article about other states copying california's emissions tests (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050822/ai_n15355594) (i skimmed through it)

-California Smog Test Fact Sheets (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdFolder.asp?Title=BAR%20Fact%20Sheets&Folder=/Geninfo/Factsheets/)

keruhas184
06-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Well, just wanted to say that on my old carbed 3g (rip) I passed emissions with the Colt tri-flow stage 1 cam and intake/exhaust. What's interesting is that without those mods, I had problems passing smog. But I think what really helped is that I had a fairly new cat put on along with the catback from Hostile's old hatch. I even had the air jet controller turned to the richest setting, and still passed with 240k on the engine.

Strugglebucket
07-08-2006, 12:44 PM
yeah if you have a brand new converter you can pass with almost anything. visual is another story.

87AccordLXDude
08-07-2006, 05:00 AM
With the black box removed and all those stupid vaccum lines also as per the stage 1 vaccum line removal diagram, will the car pass smog? I know it won't when see egr and such has been disabled but I can always just hook them up and make them look like they're working. The engine is rebuilt so that should help. Any thoughts?

mkymonkey
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
i dont believe it will. i mean im not very carb savy but wouldnt removing all that shit throw some kind of code the emission guys would know about?

Vanilla Sky
08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
no, mky, it won't throw a code. the emissions computer on the carbed car just controls the mixture, and in a fairly crude manner at that.

make your removal clean. i'm not sure of your location, but there's a really good chance that you're going to pass the sniffer and fail the visual.

mkymonkey
08-08-2006, 02:41 AM
oh see take his advice i know nothing about carbs

Vinny
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM
I had posted a list state by state at one time listing what states had testing and what ones didnt, including some that had individual counties where testing was required. It was either a full list or the link to a list i had found. I'll see if I can find it when I have time

Nevermind the info i posted was for GA only

HostileJava
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
OMG, look who just resurfaced! :)

detroit313
08-08-2006, 07:48 AM
No Emissions Testing In Michigan...........................

AccordB20A
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
if it dnt smoke its sweet:D

wonder how many mitzys fail over in the US......

A20A1
08-09-2006, 12:07 AM
People have passed with 32/36's but probably not a chance with a visual.

ESDEEZ
08-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Is It just me or is the pipe b centre exaust troublesome to you guys because i know it is to me!?????????