PDA

View Full Version : One cylinder not working

girlcrazy_4
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
88 efi 23 door accord

Has spark, has gas. Has 25psi in ONE cyl. The others have 160ish.

When I remove the spark plug wire to cyl #3, it dosnt effect how the car runs. With 25psi, you'd think it would still run fine. I thought a valve was stuck open, but they look fine. What else could it be?

A18A
06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
valvemight not be closing properly? tried adjusting it?

Ichiban
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
-Valve bent so as to not seat properly
-Burnt out piston
-Chamber to external head gasket leak
-Valvetrain problem (ie intake not opening due to broken rocker etc.)
-Broken rings.

Do a leakdown test and listen for where the air is coming from. This will be where the problem is.

Listen here:
-Throttle body/carb
-Exhaust
-Crankcase (via oil fill or drainback holes if valve cover removed)
-Top of Block/bottom of head area

Ichiban
06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
valvemight not be closing properly? tried adjusting it?

One thing I forgot: overadjusted valves, if a valve is held open then problems are obvious.

girlcrazy_4
06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I think I will try replacing the head on the weekend. If that dosnt solve the problem, than it'd definitelly the rings... UGH

On a side note, a buddy has a engine out of a 3rd gen prelude. Will this engine work in the car?

Ichiban
06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Find out what your problem is before you start replacing shit.

Oldblueaccord
06-30-2006, 04:54 PM
I think I will try replacing the head on the weekend. If that dosnt solve the problem, than it'd definitelly the rings... UGH
On a side note, a buddy has a engine out of a 3rd gen prelude. Will this engine work in the car?

When you do your compression test squirt some oil into the cylinder thats bads and retest it. If the comprssion goes up its the rings.

You can take the valve cover off and look at your vavle train and see whats up there. You might get lucky and just have a broken rocker or worn cam lobe.

wp

88Accord-DX
06-30-2006, 05:29 PM
:stupid: J/K

Xulfiqar
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
measure the impedance of the injector and check the injector negative wire till the ECM - it should be a full circuit,

happened on my 1994 F18A accord once, checked all circuits then took out the fuel rail serviced the injectors with carby cleaner and 9 volt battery pumped with compressed air at 50 psi, renewed fuel filter and she runs super since then

bobafett
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
just fyi I had a delta 282 cam in my car. I switched to a stock cam, without readjusting my valves. the car wouldnt even THINK about starting.

i adjust my valves, it fires up immediately.
so its possible that that one valve is just too tight, not closing all the way, and not able to build compression.

if this was a problem that came on suddenly then I would tend to doubt that. but it takes less then an hour to check all your valves and set the lash properly. :)

shepherd79
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
i am going to to say your rings are shot.
If you had a whole in your piston or open valve you would have 0psi compression.