PDA

View Full Version : Carbed Short Ram Intake?

MIK3
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM
Is there even a point to this, I mean, does it help deliver air to the filter at all or no? I've only seen this once, so that's what brought up the curiosity...anyway, it looks like this. Not sure who's engine bay this is...but thanks for letting me borrow the pic.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6476/25994765full8pb.jpg

A18A
06-29-2006, 01:56 AM
IMHO i think its as pointless as a ashtray on a motorbike, could spend the money on something like paint for the valve cover

A20A1
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
that is the wrong way to do it.

First off, you'll have to remove the filter inside the box.

By removing the filter inside the box you do a few bad things.
1) The PCV FILTER on the right side of the air box which now has a direct route to the carb.
2) The hot air from the PRE-HEATER hose is now unfiltered when your car starts unless you disable the Hot Air Door Diaphragm.

Also assuming you seal off any leaks between the filter and the carb you still have the huge PLENUM created by the AIR BOX body which is good for low end but will hinder higher rpm performance.

You should really do a top flow filter and just use that on the carb.
If you insist on short ram or cold air you can either do the cut air box mod or get a civic intake and use that for an adapter.

Note that any air box modification or short ram adapted to the carb will alter the plenum and thus alter the vacuum signals. As it stands now the stock air box helps create more vacuum, with the air filter lid flipped or the box cut or a civic adapter added the amount of vacuum drops. Though I can see the civic adapter box giving more vaccum then an open filter on the carb.

You carb and carb systems all use vacuum, so does part of you ignition. So you will proabably want to adjust your ignition and the carb to make full use of any short ram or air box mod you've done.

Vector
06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
i think cai is more effective than sri.