PDA

View Full Version : torn cv boot ! aggghh!

86-accord-lxi
06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Well...Ever since I became the owner of my 86 lxi there has never been a belt
on the a/c compressor and the previous owner dissconnected the plug that
goes to the dryer ? (The thing by the power steering reservoir with the little
viewing glass) So, Today I decided to put on a new belt and see if the a/c
works since it's so blazing hot here. While I was under the car I discovered that the drivers side outer cv boot is torn and there's grease slung all over the back of the wheel. :wtf: Why, When, How ? This really pisses me off !
Im not even sure how long it's been like that, I haven't had to crawl under the car for awhile. I don't have the clicky turn thing going on and don't want to. What do I need to do in this situation ? What's it going to take to replace the cv boot ? I don't mean to sound like a noob, But this is my first time dealing with replacing a cv boot. Is it going to be expensive ? Can I use one
of my parts car ? Is there a difference between the 86 and 89 lxi's cv boots ?
I can't stand this, I need to fix it A.S.A.P !

mhopton
06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Replace the whole axle - it comes with new boots on both the inner and outer joint. The axle costs about $60. Look in the "HOW TO" section for a good thread on how to do it - with pics. It's really not to hard, it'll take a couple of hours the first time.

speedpenguin
06-30-2006, 05:10 AM
Actually if it's the outer boot, it can be replaced, and without a huge amount of difficulty, depending on how much of a contortionist you are. However, be aware that tearing the boot has probably shortened the life of your CV joint. There's probably enough life left in it to make it worthwhile, though.

Just pick up a kit at AutoZone or something.

86-accord-lxi
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Are the axles on the 89 lxi's the same as an 86 lxi's ?
Would I be able to use the axle off my 89 lxi parts car ?

lostforawhile
06-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I think the only difference is between manual and auto,if you don't know how long that boot has been like that,replace the axle, the axles last forever with intact boots,but any dirt or grit that got in there has already started the wear process. if it had torn like yesterday,I would say replace the boot,but for the cost of a new one it's not worth the effort to fix it. figure out the money it will cost for the boot and then look at the price for a new axle. a lot of new axles also have the new type boots that are a lot more durable. once it's been run with dirt in there,it's as good as gone.

MessyHonda
06-30-2006, 08:31 PM
i would replace them both...but if you already have some axles just take them out and check them out...im not sure if they are the same but drivetrain should be the same as long as you have the same trany

forrest89sei
06-30-2006, 10:18 PM
The 86-89 Accords use the same Half shafts but the manuals use a different drivers side shaft than the automatics.

you can do it yourself easy!

I did both of mine in with a friend in a afternoon.

but if you can't do it yourself then buy a NEW or REBUILT Axle since your going to just as much in labor to replace the boot vs the entire shaft!

86-accord-lxi
07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I checked the axles on the parts car and they're in great shape and the boots are intact with no signs of dry rot or wear. I'm going to go ahead
and replace the drivers side axle with the one from the parts car. The passenger side is in good shape, So I'm not even going to bother with it.
The parts car has the exact same transmission, F4 4 speed automajic.
I plan to do the 5 speed swap as soon as I save up enough for a new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I can get a 5 speed manual transmission at the J/Y for 65 bucks with core exchange and a 10 day
warranty. I didn't have the right adapter to put freon in so I still don't even know if the a/c works, and the power steering has a leak somewhere, I think it might be the rack and pinion boots, They're torn also. Heck, I should just remove the a/c and power steering. I think I'll remove them tomorrow.
I appreciate the help guys.

snoopyloopy
09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
so how much of a task is changing the cv boot/axle? because my passenger side one has been gone for about a month or so. i got a quote of $120 and $200 to change both boots from some shops. but if the axles are $60 new (or reman will work for me), i could just buy those and change them myself. but how hard of a job is it?

MessyHonda
09-05-2006, 09:24 PM
so how much of a task is changing the cv boot/axle? because my passenger side one has been gone for about a month or so. i got a quote of $120 and $200 to change both boots from some shops. but if the axles are $60 new (or reman will work for me), i could just buy those and change them myself. but how hard of a job is it?

yeah both my boots were mest up and its too much work to get the boot fixed..i paied 48 bucks for a reman....but the core is what got me...core was like 90 bucks each...more than the part it self

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-07-2006, 07:28 AM
The most difficult part of changing the axles is usually the lower control arm bushing bolt which becomes frozen within the metal sleeve of the bushing. On ym car the driver's side is not frozen, but the passenger side is. Also, I've found that even with intact boots the axles don't exactly last forever. My passenger side axle is original (which might explain the frozen bolt), and has play at the inner joint. I can literarly move the axle around in the cup, which results in major play in the drivetrain.

XBoom135
10-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Would anyone happen to know of any CV shaft manufacturers that make them fairly durable? I've been going through a set every 10 months.

AZmike
10-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Would anyone happen to know of any CV shaft manufacturers that make them fairly durable? I've been going through a set every 10 months.

The Honda remans hold up well.

Oldblueaccord
10-12-2006, 09:07 AM
problem is there like almost 300$ here.

Im going to try a cardone "new" shaft I got from O'reillys see if that an improvement. I agree my boots are not lasting more than 2 years.

And just for the data banks. I found mine torn about 2 weeks ago and so far it has not started clicking yet and I have 2000 miles on it since. I did put some duct tape and grease on the split but it did last very long.

wp

bushbean
10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
My pop got reman'd axleshaft from Autozone, but it
started clicking after about 7 months. He took it back
and got a new one from Autozone. The second Autozone
axleshaft lasted a little more than a year before it started
clicking again.

nskforlife
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
honda oem's are the way to go. dont settle for anything less.
"would you buy an autozone car????"""

MessyHonda
10-12-2006, 05:22 PM
honda oem's are the way to go. dont settle for anything less.
"would you buy an autozone car????"""

only if they offered lifetime warranty....:thumbup:

w261w261
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
My car had the left halfshaft replaced at 75,000 miles, 6 years ago, with a Honda piece. The car now has 182,000 with no problems. The right outboard boot was torn when I bought it in 2001, and my mechanic replaced the halfshaft with some no-name p.o.s., it failed within 2 years and less than 40,000 mi of use. I put in a Honda replacement. It's gone 60,000 with no problems.

I've now had my SE-i for 100,000 miles and 5 years. During that time I've made one decision that has proved itself over and over. BUY HONDA BRAND. Yep, it costs more, but there's so much shit out there these days that, for me, I pay for the peace of mind.