PDA

View Full Version : need stereo help ASAP!!

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 05:29 PM
well, my bro tried installin his old deck into my car for now (cause i was runnin stock one, for temp...) and now niether system works. he wired up the new deck, and it never worked. i tried to put the old one in, and it didnt work either..... i checked all the fuses, and none are blown, i need this asap, as i have a 2hour drive commin up in like 1hr...

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 05:30 PM
oh crap, just noticed i shoulda put this in the sound area, my bad. mod can move if they want......

88accordlxcarb
07-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you're not going to have your radio fixed.

There are tons of problems that could cause it to not work.

Check all of your wires. I'm hoping you have a factory wiring diagram for your car, and one for the new head unit. Take the wires and match them up. The colors might not match each other.

I have a feeling this is your main problem. Also check your new units diagram because many aftermarket units require an additional 12v source(and ground) to attach to the unit.

Rushing around is what will cause it to not work, take your time and think through what might be causing it to not work.

EDIT: You can look at the honda manual online and get the wiring diagram for this car, and the one for the new unit is online somewhere im sure.

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
i have the stock wire harness still on.... i tried hookin up the old stereo, and it didnt work.....

i went through all the wires on the stock harness, and they all seem fine, its like random though, cause it was working a few min before my bro hooked up the new deck, he hooked it up, and neither deck now works...

88accordlxcarb
07-01-2006, 05:43 PM
What fuses did you check, and have you checked the inline fuses on the wires of the unit itself(should be like a black box, or a clear tube in the middle of the wires)?

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
where is that?? im at least trying to hook up the stock stereo deck right now, i checked the fues box under the steering wheel, what other fuses do i look for?

HostileJava
07-01-2006, 05:54 PM
where is that?? im at least trying to hook up the stock stereo deck right now, i checked the fues box under the steering wheel, what other fuses do i look for?

I don't think the stock deck has a fuse, the only fuse is under the dash. Remember I blown fuse may not look bad you need to do more then visualy inspect it. Do you have a fuse tester or a ohm meter? Or do you have a spare fuse that size you know works that you can throw in just to confirm you didn't blow that one?

crazykamper
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
i dont have a fuse testor, but i will look and see, i might have another fuse, i will try that, thanks!! im bout to leave, so i guess i will have to get back on this when i get home in a few hours....

MessyHonda
07-01-2006, 06:55 PM
this happen to me....does your clock work? if its faded you should check the fuse under the hood...its a 10amp ones(red) it worked just fine after i changed it.

mkymonkey
07-01-2006, 07:35 PM
i was about to point that out ^

i dont trust the stock wire harnesses on old cars. every time i install a new stereo...be it brand new or used, i always run new wires. its not hard really just takes more time and some creativity to when you have to route the wires to the stereo.

just get a good enough power wire (though its exageration, i always use 10g but 12g is fine just make sure its rated to run 12v and its not wires for speakers) connect it to the battery and run it thourgh the grommet on the firewall to the location of your radio. make sure you also put a fuse in between the battery and the radio so you can change it in case of a short circuit and so you wont burn your wires when and if this happens. i usually, like many people, put them close to the battery so i dont have to take the radio out if the fuse blows. you can still use the stock ingition wire to hook it up to the radio but i always change it. the power lead on the head unit is almost an d i mean 99% of the time, yellow. the ignition one is red. get another comporable size wire to hook up your ground and find a good spot to use it. grounding is key to not getting any noise coming from your speakers. after you have the power routed to the radio just run new wires to your speakers...which is easy to figure out, just remember to label, or use a system (some wires come marked) to know what is connected to the po lead and neg lead. its a good idea to use some masking tape to label the wires you ran yourself so you wont get them confused. to hook up to the radio just look at the wiring diagram for the stereo (they're usually located on top of the radio itself) to match the wires up.

and youre done!

crazykamper
07-03-2006, 01:33 PM
hey, my clock does reset itself everytime i turn off or on the car, i checked the fuse, and it didnt work.

i dont really wanna run any new wired to thet battery, cause i have like 3 already going besides my main harnesses... is there any other alternative besides running new wires to the battery????

Mac
07-03-2006, 06:36 PM
It sounds like you have your new deck wired wrong and you blew a fuse. First remove the new deck and put the stock one back in. Then change fuse # 11 (10 amp) in the under the hood fuse/relay panel. The old deck should work.

If the old deck worked, try and wire it like this:
Yellow/Red wire in car to Red wire of new deck.
White/Yellow wire in car to Yellow wire of new deck
Red/Black wire in car to Orange wire of new deck.
Black wire in car to Black wire of new deck.

Plug in the new deck and see if it powers up. This should stop the fuse from blowing. The rest of the wires are for the speakers.

crazykamper
07-04-2006, 08:53 AM
aight, will have to try that as soon as i get a chance, is it a regular fuse? or is one of those big ass ones??? (i have a buch of lil ones here.....)

Mac
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Just a regular 10 amp fuse. It's in the under the hood fuse/relay panel. I think it is labeled ECU CLOCK. Also check fuse #13 (another 10 amp) in the under the dash fuse panel.

crazykamper
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
aight, will go check right now.

crazykamper
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
IT WORKS!!!! thanks a bunch yall, it ended up bein the clock fuse under the hood. thanks a bunch!!

ghettogeddy
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
do your self a favor,next time u do a stereo take the + off the battery u wont have these isues then

crazykamper
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
aight, will do, next time i will be wiring up the system myself, and not my bro doin it while im at work. lol. thanks!!!

now if i can find out why only my dimmer and brighter switch doesnt light up (the 2 side ones do, not the middle one though....)

mkymonkey
07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
IT WORKS!!!! thanks a bunch yall, it ended up bein the clock fuse under the hood. thanks a bunch!!

told ya

MessyHonda
07-04-2006, 04:02 PM
told ya

i told him...ppphs trying to take my credit....:Owned:

crazykamper
07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
monkey, u never said anything bout that, you were saying to rewire my system (wich was what i was just about to do before i read the post by mac, (and i guess messy too, i just sorda read too fast over that one. lol)

thanks!!