PDA

View Full Version : Clutch stuck to flywheel! HELP!!

ICEMAN707
07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I think my clutch has seized up on the pressure plate. No matter how many times I press the pedal, the clutch still won't release and let me go into gear with the engine running. Didn't touch the transmission. All I did was engine performance work with engine still in the car. I did however flush it with water via the starter hole when I removed the starter to flush out all the clutch dust. I guess that was a bad thing to do. Clutch probably rusted into the pressure plate or the clutch release bearing seized up from rust.

My idea is see if I can tap out the clutch/flywheel with a hammer and a big long screwdriver/prybar while spraying some brake cleaner in there. That or start the car in gear a few times, but that seems scary to break something. Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Or if it is what I said it is, what's the best way to remedy it? I know my clutch is fine, doesn't need to be replaced. I hope I can fix it without having to remove the tranny.

Redrum17
07-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Well I'd try rolling that baby off in low gear and repeditly accelerate and decelerate until it builds up a little heat. This is a common enough problem with tractors and other equiptment that has occasion to sit for long periods and rust up.