PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Hose - Important?

MIK3
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Is that hose that runs from the black air filter box to the right front 1/4 panel important? I was just wondering if it was needed or not...I don't see the advantage of having it on or a disadvantage of taking it off.

MessyHonda
07-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it is important since it gets fresh cold air from the fender...i took it off and i did not notice anything besides dust collecting in the part.

MIK3
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Well I was wondering if it would make a difference or not because doesn't the carb run a lot better on warmer air?

MessyHonda
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
only in the morning....but thats why Honda put a heater pad on the carb...but the best way to make power is with cold air...that why they call it CAI and they have intercoolers cuz cold air is less dense packing more air into the motor

MIK3
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Yes, I understand the importance of cold air to engines...I just figured that that rule of thumb stuck the the fuel injected vehicles. I know through experience that my car performs (both with acelleration as well as miles per gallon) much better during the summer's here in Arizona.

A18A
07-06-2006, 03:35 AM
what happens when you block it? if nothing happens, i dont see why it needs "fresh" air :D

2ndGenGuy
07-06-2006, 07:13 AM
I think there's a valve in the air cleaner tube (at least there is on the 2nd gen) that pulls hot air in from a tube off of the exhaust manifold. The carb is designed to run with the air at around 100 degrees F. The valve will regulate the cold air coming from the front of the car and the hot air from the exhaust manifold. If you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay by taking that off, its probably just going to make that valve not work properly.

I'm sure that crap is just for emissions and probably won't make any difference on performance. But really, I don't see any point taking it off. Let the cooler air run into your engine how it was designed.