PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing : Need some info.

ex1z7
07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
With all this Auto X talk I've been getting really jealous and anxious to legally race. No doubt people know I'm against street racing and fucking around in public streets, so I'm taking my racing needs to the track.

Problem is, here in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Bittercold-Canada.. the only racing that isn't drag racing, is Ice Racing in the winter.

I read through the rules, and have spoken to a few officials and members of the ice racing club here, and my buddy is a mechanic to one of the teams and I've been talkin' to him.. And I've found out what I need to ice race.

I can leave the car stock, although I need ...
-A roll cage
-4 point racing harnesses
-a firewalled fuel cell or fuel tank
-to also remove all lights and reflectors and such.

Aside from that, all I need are ice tires.

What I'm wondering is.. I know where to get a fuel cell and harnesses and seats. And I know how to remove my lights.. I mean screwdrivers are faily easy to operate. But the roll cage .. anyone know how much it would cost to get one fabricated for me ?

General realistic prices would be great =).

Thanks.

ex1z7
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow I never thought to check Summit for prices.. I just priced out a grand of things I thought would be 3 grand hahaha..

Oh this is SO hot. I need to go over the law book here to see what I can strip and what I can't .. I want to be able to daily drive a completely gutted car and have them not be able to do anything.. =).

Thanks so much !

Oldblueaccord
07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I think Auto power sells a kit as well.

If its a race car only a shop would cut the top weld the cage and put the top back on. Esp if its gotta pass somekinda tech.

Try to find someone who races the class and see what there set up is.I would think the tires would cost the most to get started.

wp

gfrg88
07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
what tires are you gonna use?? custom right? in colorado theres a place(cant remember where) that they have ice racing on a lake. they use tires with nails or anything like that.

cubert
07-09-2006, 06:10 AM
id say find a set of tires and throw some ice screws in em....then drive around the neighborhood shooting sparks until its race season :lol:

ex1z7
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
The tires are 200 each, and the sponsors who run the events sponsor near-anyone who qualifies, you end up getting the tires for about 50 each.

I'm doing the rubber-to-ice, not metal-to-ice .. so no screws in my tires, I'm sliding baby... And I'm not sure what the tires are called, blizzaks or something? I don't know, not street legal at all so I heard..

I'm thinking, realistically, I'll have to get a few things used and a few favours called in to be able to get out there this year.. the cage I don't need, but the track I'll be racing on, you can get up to 120kph on it .. and I don't want to die...

But harnesses are cheap, like 70 a piece, and I can get myself some seats used..

I'm thinking of keeping the engine stock, minus a spacer for the carb and I might play with the jets a little .. And exhaust work. I'm pretty excited :)