PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good MPG?

ccotm
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I have an 1987 Honda Accord LX, I was wondering what kind of MPG are you guys getting? I am getting 20MPG on a good tank... Any ideas why I am not getting more? My friend has a car just like mine, getting over 30...

reanimator420
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
20mpg is :thumbdn: clean your fuel filter, bad injector, ETC... nedd to know more and try this, its magic:violin: http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php
it helps man it really helps. i think this was asked like two or three weeks ago so it wont be to hard to find

ccotm
07-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I just changed my fuel filter and my fuel pump recently because it died...and my engine is carb, so would it have injectors?

snoopyloopy
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
carb = no injectors. but you would have a fuel filter. and i'm in the same boat as you. 23 mpg consistently for like 10 tanks straight now. no change w/ the addition of acetone either.

ccotm
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I just find it weird because I just changed my fuel pump and fuel filter... Would it help at all to clean the carb and throttle body?

reanimator420
07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
opps i did not know it was carb you did not state, but check the carb and use some carb cleaner and check your air filter, can be nasty sometimes. dk much about carbs but i do no they suck ass so as soon as i go to fi ill be happy. they are too confusing to me

ccotm
07-05-2006, 03:39 PM
I just changed my air filter and it is still around 20...The only thing I haven't done is clean my carb...I have the carb cleaner, how would I go about cleaning my carb?

88Accord-DX
07-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, these carbs aren't real easy to fidle with. BUT if you wanted to take of the "top hat" off , (bascially the top of the carb) clean out the jets & bowl. That's your best bet besides rebuilding it, or spraying carb cleaner down it.

My MPG sucks ass too, somewhere around 18. My carb is running rich & needs tuned better. I don't drive it much.

halxi
07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
opps i did not know it was carb you did not state, but check the carb and use some carb cleaner and check your air filter, can be nasty sometimes. dk much about carbs but i do no they suck ass so as soon as i go to fi ill be happy. they are too confusing to me

he did... read closer

1987 Honda Accord LX

Check your o2 sensors. They may be bad and not throwing a code. I get about 20-22mpg in my 3g right now, but i have both o2 sensors bypassed kuz i dont have extra money to replace them.

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
you need to remember that you have 2 fuel filters on a carbed car.

you guys both need to adjust your carbs. you should be getting at least 25 in the city. hell, my accord got 22 running very rich with a very bad transmission.

just run through and do a full tuneup. everything from plugs and wires to every filter. if your car has 150,000 miles on it, there's a good chance that you are well overdue for most things that are maintenance items on every car. on my truck, a full tuneup got me close to 5 MPG.

halxi, the carbed cars don't really depend on the oxygen sensors like the EFI cars do. it's still something that should be checked out, though.

B16KILLA
07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
he did... read closer
1987 Honda Accord LX
Check your o2 sensors. They may be bad and not throwing a code. I get about 20-22mpg in my 3g right now, but i have both o2 sensors bypassed kuz i dont have extra money to replace them.

seems like you need to read a lil closer carbed 3geez have only one O2 sensor.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
I consistently get 26 mpg in the city with A/C running. Highway is somewhere around 32-34 with A/C. Brand new spark plugs, new wires, new fuel filters, clean well-tuned carb, and a K&N air filter. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Replace any vacuum hoses that look questionable. Also make sure that your choke is operating correctly and opening all the way.

keruhas184
07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe it's time for some Seafoam and a smoke show for the neighbors...