PDA

View Full Version : Storage For My 3Gee

Trick87Accord
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Well here in about a month i am heading off to basic training for the army and i was wondering if there are any special things that i should do before i garage my car for the next 5 month? So any advice would be nice thanks.

A18A
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
disconnect the battery!!!!!!!!! umm i heard leave the hand brake off, store it in a garage so less chance of rust (or put a cover over it) umm i heard that you should drain the oil too :S

carotman
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Nah no need to drain the oil. Just park it there, leave the E brake Off, put it in second gear and put a cover on it. Make sure the gas tank is full.

When getting it out of storage, check the tire pressure, change the oil and enjoy.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Perhaps use some fuel stabilizer to prevent the gasoline in the tank from deteriorating. Is there any possibility of rodents getting into the car while its parked? That could be a major concern for wiring and A/C components (perhaps leave the system in recirculation mode to close off entry ways into the A/C system. Sometimes its recommended to raise the car off the ground on stands to avoid flat spots on tires. Just a few things that popped into my mind. Hope this helps.

mkymonkey
07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
you can use seafoam as a fuel stabalizer...or even that z-max shit

Trick87Accord
07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
yea the car will be in the garage there itsn't really a chance of anything getting in there and eating away any of the wireing or anything like that it will be all locked up. Just wondering but why do you leave the E-Brake off? And the gas tank should be full and have some additives in it? Do you get the Z-max from any auto parts store?

mkymonkey
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM
well the additives help keep the fuel nice and crisp. lol plus it helps with corrosion and the fuel drying up. at least thats whats been told to me

A18A
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
i dont think wiring would be much of a problem coz most of us have left our wires for about 20 years and there still intact, dont see what 5 months will do

Hash_man_Se_i
07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Fuel stabalizer is a must in my opinion. Its super cheap though, like $1 a bottle.

ANd leave the ebrake off because there is a chance of it seizing if you don't.

carotman
07-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, my car is parked every year for 6 months or so and I never used stabiliser. If the gas tank is full, there shouldn't be any problem. The gas tank is sealed after all.

I do what I said above and It's been fine ever since. I disconnect the battery and put old bald tires on it to avoid flat spots. The flat spot problem isn't much of an issue tough. At most, the tire will feel a bit square in the 1st miles but should be ok after. I just donT' want to take chances with them.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
i dont think wiring would be much of a problem coz most of us have left our wires for about 20 years and there still intact, dont see what 5 months will do

The concern is presented by rodents. These creatures like to make nests and chew through wiring in cars that are not used for long periods of time.

2drSE-i
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
flat spots wont really appear until a year or so. i drove a 90something sunfire that had been parked for 3 years for a week while my car was getting the deck lid and tails fixed, anyway it formed bubbles in the tires...that sucked.