PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord Starting Problems - Stumped!!!

avbunyan
07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi gang - I've got a 89 Accord I bought from a honest Honda mechanic did a wonderful job of fixing up - runs great!!! New starter, battery, distributor, main relay switch, good alternator - but...but... we can't figure out why after running for a while I would stop at a store, etc. and when I go to start it sometimes acts like the battery is weak and won't quite turn over but it always does - doesn't do all the time - cranks perfect in morning to go to work - cranks fine when I get in to go home but after running and stopping and then starting again it sometimes dddrrraaagggsss! The Honda mechanic did a read out of a computer from his job that appeared to be a starter but after changing out again it still does it!
Both of my good mechanics are stumped!
Thanks for any tips -
God bless

86AccordLxi
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Moved to the proper forum.

Sounds like it could be a failing main relay maybe?

Alex

TdotWarrior
07-07-2006, 10:09 AM
my 87 accord has the same problem...

AZmike
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
The main relay has nothing to do with how fast the engine turns over when starting. Check over the high current wires (ground and 12 V) for the starter. Cleaning up your ignition switch may also help. Your new (probably rebuilt) starter is another possibility.

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-09-2006, 06:15 AM
The last time mine did that it was cuz of the friggin rebuilt aftermarket starter that was in there. I would crank fine cold but hot it would turn real slow. That happened twice with aftermarket starters on mine, plus on Rooz's car too. I just went to the junkyard and got a used OEM one that hadn't been replaced yet, and never had a problem with it again. That used starter is still in my car to this day and still works perfect

Vinny
07-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Look at the back side of the ignition switch. It gets hot and the solder beads start to go places they shouldnt.

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Look at the back side of the ignition switch. It gets hot and the solder beads start to go places they shouldnt.
:eek5: :omg: :eek: Well look who it is... damn! Check our PM's

88Accord-DX
07-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I had this Dodge Caravan that did that, but didn't start & sounded like a bad starter. The a/c clutch was stuck.

Even though your car starts, either your starter has problems or you could have a warped flywheel/flexplate. (hard to say on the net without looking at it)