PDA

View Full Version : High RPM's in the warm air

87DXHatch
05-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Now that Summer has more or less arrived I thought my car was supposed to stop kicking into high rpms in the mornings. But it still does it even when it's 50-60 degrees out! And it takes a good 3-5 minutes to kick down too!

I thought the cold-air circuit was only supposed to go on when its COLD outside (carbed).

Anyone have any ideas? I've heard some mention vacuum leak, does that sound like what it is?

Thanks

DarknessRS
05-06-2002, 08:29 PM
The fast engine idle is based on coolant temperature, not the intake air temperature.

ACCORD EX
05-07-2002, 04:59 AM
yes ! don't worry ! :)

MIKE

87DXHatch
05-07-2002, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know a way to circumvent the cold-air circuit? It just seems goofy to me that Honda would put it on so that it goes off every time. I'd think people who bought new Accords in the late 80's would get really pissed if they had to sit and wait before going anywhere everytime they started their car.

87accordlxph
05-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Just step on the gas pedal and the spring will release on the carb
and your rpm's will go down a bit then take off. :)

If you suspect that your car still is idles high, then check your air
filter.

-Mike

87DXHatch
05-07-2002, 07:43 PM
When I step on the pedal, it either does nothing to help the fast idle or it drops it a little bit. If I let it warm-up for like 4 min and press the pedal it will sometimes drop to ~1500 and I'll go but if I miss that "window of opportunity' I have to wait for it to warm all the way up and drop to ~1000.:crying:

j00bacca
05-16-2002, 10:10 AM
I have same prolbem, mine idles about 2000 rpm when in park and sometimes after hitting the gas a bit it will drop to like 1700. This is bad for tranny and someone told me there was a way to adjust the idle speed. I dont know how so any ideas?

ACCORD EX
05-16-2002, 11:53 AM
a carb cleaner always help ! spray it on the fast idle spring, screw ! :)

MIKE

Lester Lugnut
05-16-2002, 07:59 PM
If fuel injected, coolant temp. sensor involved as mentioned above.

In these older 3G's, you'll often times find after-market coolant thermostats. Most are set way cooler than factory t-stats - not good. Engine was designed to run at a given temp. Too many folks think it's good to run an engine cooler. Not so.

Try using a dealer provided t-stat. Might offer a bit of help.

On the other side of the coin, you have carb-equipped 3G's. These require precise adjustment. Numerous adj. screws, etc. Lots of good info here about setting up a carb.

87DXHatch
05-18-2002, 11:20 AM
If you had looked at my name, then you would know its carbed.:rolleyes: