PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Lights Issue

bucket_man
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
So, the other night a friend and i are shooting our newly made orange gun (basically 1m of PVC Pipe) and he jumps into the car and smacks the visor over the gauges REALLY hard. Hard enough to crack some plastic so i can lift up the visor a bit (only about 1cm.) So anyway, next time i drive it in the night, i notice that 1. i cant see the needles at all, and 2. 1 little section of the guages wasnt lit up, so i tapped it (softly) and it came back, but i still had no needle lights.
I popped open that little cover on top of the visor, but all i could see was meaninless circutry.
Does anyone know what i could do to fix this please?

thanks

forrest89sei
07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
So, the other night a friend and i are shooting our newly made orange gun (basically 1m of PVC Pipe) and he jumps into the car and smacks the visor over the gauges REALLY hard. Hard enough to crack some plastic so i can lift up the visor a bit (only about 1cm.) So anyway, next time i drive it in the night, i notice that 1. i cant see the needles at all, and 2. 1 little section of the guages wasnt lit up, so i tapped it (softly) and it came back, but i still had no needle lights.
I popped open that little cover on top of the visor, but all i could see was meaninless circutry.
Does anyone know what i could do to fix this please?
thanks

Well I would pull out the cluster (Remove the two Screws under the door on the top of the visor, then using a SMALL Flathead screwdriver pop out the switches on the cluster --Mirrors,sunroof, etc.., under those you will find a screw under each switch or cover where a switch would be, remove them, then slide the clusters visor up and forward. then theres one screw on each corner of the Cluster remove that, slide forward, unplug the plugs and lnspect.

the 86-89 Accords came with analog clusters from two Companys

First Nipondenso (it will say on the Speedo)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_f1901.gif

Next NS or (NIPPON SEIKI)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se00_f19.gif

First I'd check all of the light bulbs being a 18 year old car he might i just killed the bulbs.

if you find that a that something is broken

then i'm sure you can get a cluster from a junkyard and just swap in the Speedo thats in the current one.

DBMaster
07-09-2006, 12:49 PM
You should only have to remove the "visor" cover. The two bulbs that light the needles (indirect lighting) are in the part labeled 13 in the top drawing and 21 in the bottom drawing. I have had my bulbs in the same spots come loose after replacing them because aftermarket bulbs are just slighty bigger than the OEM. I put tiny dabs of silicone sealant on the holders to keep the bulbs from popping out.