PDA

View Full Version : Info on boxes under seats

Strugglebucket
07-10-2006, 12:52 AM
alright here's what i'm thinking. there should be an addition to the electrical section of the FAQ that would cover all the "mystery" boxes under the front seats. where they are, what they look like, and what they do. divide it between carbed and efi, and list any differences between model years, sedans, coupes, and hatches.

here's where you guys come in with your knowledge. i will start with listing what i know and then just add what you know from there.

CARBED:
i don't know

EFI:
under driver's seat is the ecu (duh).

to the right of the ecu there is a small orange box that i'm not sure what it does.

under the passenger's seat on the far left is a black box that is the timer for the sub-cooling fan on the radiator (this only appears on 88/89 efi).

next i think is the control box for the seatbelt motors. i have a sedan so i'm not sure.

then there is a gray box which houses the relays and maybe some other circuitry for the power door locks.

last on the right under passenger seat are two relays, one for moonroof open, one for close.

that's all i know so far, help me out!

crazykamper
07-10-2006, 07:09 AM
looks good to me, i dont have moonroof/sunroof or door locks (coupe...), so that explains why i dont got that one box. lol.

TdotWarrior
07-10-2006, 07:11 AM
theres abox under my seat o_O

crazykamper
07-10-2006, 08:42 AM
^ lol. obviously, i have like 3 or 4 or 5 or something like that, cant remember, been a awhile scince i took out my seats.... maybe i should do it again sometime, its gettin dirty as hell under there. lol.

MessyHonda
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
lol on the dx its only the computer under the driver seat....and a fart sensor...that is wut my teacher called the cable for the seat belt thing. when i was taking off the carpet i notice that it had lots of holes for wires but mine is stock so i didnt have to mess with alot

Legend_master
07-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Ihave an 86 LX-i Hatch and I only have the ECU under the drivers seat.

theDougler
07-10-2006, 09:32 AM
sweet thanx now i can figure out why the sunroof keeps blowing the 30A fuses. and i think the orange box is for the seatbelt

Strugglebucket
07-10-2006, 04:01 PM
alright so the orange box is for the seatbelts. is that for the long *beeeeeeeeeep*.......*beeeeeeeeeeep*.....*beeeeeee eeeep* when the doors are closed and you turn the key to on but your seatbelt's not on?

and maybe it's only an 88/89 thing?

bucket_man
07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
in my car im pretty sure the ECU is under the passenger seat.. (im assuming the ECU is the little box that likes to flash when my car is being a whore)
Thats probably cause mines a RHD, which you should probably mention.

Strugglebucket
07-11-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah the majority of cars on here are LHD. i guess we could say "left front seat" and "right front seat".

mkymonkey
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
ok under my drivers seat i have my ecu..duh

and under my passenger's seat i only have two boxes. a black one that i think is the one that controls the fans...and a grey one that i think controls my seatbelts...thats it. oh and i have an 89 lxi coupe

Strugglebucket
07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
that grey one is either for the seatbelts or for the door locks. i'm guessing you don't have a moonroof and that's why you don't have the two relays.

you don't have the orange box next to the ecu?

88Accord-DX
07-11-2006, 08:45 PM
I have carbed, it has a emission control module. You can unplug the thing & the car will still run as if it wasn't even there. :wtf:

Got to love the Honda technology in the 80's with 20 foot of vacuum line on a carburetor & a fart box under the seat.

mkymonkey
07-12-2006, 01:05 AM
fart box under the seat? :wtf: how does that work. is it supposed to stab anyone that farts? if so...mine isnt working cuz my friends always do and they're still alive! :lol:

A18A
07-12-2006, 01:54 AM
my left seat has 2 boxes undernethe it, 1 small one and 1 bigger one, i think those control the 64352765 hoses under the bonnet