PDA

View Full Version : engine makes crackling noise

fcov
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
hi guys, first i want to say i have an 89 dx, all stock, the car runs great but what i dont like is when i accelerate it starts making this kind of crackling noise. when i put it on park or on neutral and i rev it, it doesnt do that noise.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bglad420
07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Thats pinging, your timing is off, if it only does it under load. If you can't time it yourself most shops charge $20.

labeledsk8r
07-10-2006, 11:04 PM
my car does the same thing, as of right now i cant get it to a shop till i get my next paycheck and i cant time it were im at (stupid manager wont let people work on cars) but i put 93 octane fuel in and it put an end to most of it, just a quick fix till you get it timed, if it even works for you

fcov
07-11-2006, 05:29 AM
thanks for your help i really appreciate it. and it seems you know your stuff. thanks

keruhas184
07-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Take a look at the timing. It could also be that the vacuum advance on your distributor is starting to go fubar. Generally if setting it by the timing light won't do it, then just keep retarding the timing (pull the distributor toward yourself) until it stops pinging.

You might also want to replace the distributor cap and rotor, as well as your spark plugs. Sometimes there's nothing you can do if the dizzy is fubar, like i got a rebuilt autozone dizzy and it pinged through the whole timing range.