PDA

View Full Version : the overdosed a18as problems thread

A18A
07-12-2006, 12:34 AM
ok now to save flooding the forum with threads about my car playing up, i think ill just leave all the problems to 1 thread for now. so, here is the 1st problem to start us off.

1. is it my timing causing my car to run well above 2500 (mainly 3500) rpm? yesterday i retarded it, then it ran shitty as, so today advanced it 2 teeth and it runs alot better. it even idles now!!! yay!!! it idles at 900 rpm which is pretty good i supose but it has the most slowest response when flooring it between 900rpm and 2500 rpm, above that it runs fine. what could be the problem there?

2. so after looking at the manual, and my dad confusing the hell outta me, he leaves me lost in this timing thing. so theres a red mark down in the crank case a little bit away from the white TDC mark. and wen were setting the timing my dad wants to use the red pointer as the TDC point coz some reasons i wouldnt have a clue about. im lost with this, can someone explain how the timing is all set up?

3. yesterday, i just put $10 in the car, then it started, but now it doesnt run, hasnt even been running 20 mins :( would that be my rear fuel filter? i can just bypass it right? or can i just reuse the 1 from the other car?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-12-2006, 07:27 AM
1) Yes, timing may very well be responsible for your engine not running properly. It sounds like you are messing with the valve timing. Set the engine at TDC, then look at your camshaft sprocket. It has marks cut into the side to facilitate proper alignment. I believe you need to have the two lines cut into the side lined up parallel with the head surface. Improper valve and ignition timing will cause sluggish response. Also, changing your valve timing changes your ignition timing as well because the distributor runs off of the camshaft.

2) You need to use the TDC mark when setting the timing. You also need to disconnect the vacuum advance diaphragms and plug the lines. Otherwise you'll set it wrong. First set up your valve timing correctly, then proceed to set the ignition timing.

3) Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and turn the ignition to ON. If fuel comes out of the line, you don't have a problem with fuel delivery. If no fuel comes out, you may have a clogged rear filter. Don't bypass it. Replace it with a new one, or as a last resort with one from your parts car. Try putting a little more gas into it so that you aren't sucking up sediment in the tank.

Hope this helps.

Strugglebucket
07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
i'm not sure on the a18, but on the a20 the red mark is 15deg BTDC. so use the mark with the "T" to set the timing belt!

A18A
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
aww cool thanks for the help 89AccordLX :D you too struggle :D but $10 petrol (about 6 litres) in the car only lasted 1 day of testing it :S whats that about?!??!?!?! also today, we advanced it 1 more tooth, the distributor gets more response but alot of black smoke at high RPMs with the advance hoses off, when i put them on it has alot of black smoke at idle so yeah, might put it 1 tooth back. but that doesnt stop my shitty fuel economy + the sufficating exhaust fumes at the back. oh yeah, i got it to idle at about 500 rpm without it stalling out so thats a good thing :D

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Make sure you are capping the vacuum tubes that you take off. If you don't, your carb will run poorly.

A18A
07-12-2006, 07:49 PM
carb runs poorly anyways i think, but yeah i mark the hoses i take off, with plaint paint of all colors lol

A18A
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
just put the timing back 1 tooth now and got problems now :@ well at low RPMs with dizzy advanced and hoses off it runs good, but with hoses on black smoke comes outta the exhaust, so if we leave them off its ok, but anything above 4000RPM there is a shit load of black smoke unless the hoses are on dammit, it doesnt idle lower than 500 anymore :(

RamThis
07-15-2006, 11:01 PM
carb runs poorly anyways i think, but yeah i mark the hoses i take off, with plaint paint of all colors lol

He didnt mean to mark them, he meant you need to cap them off, if you just unhook them, you are introducing a vacuum leak and your car will run like crap or die while trying to set the distributor timing. Just unhook the two vacuum advance lines at the source end and cap the ports with some vacuum caps, then set your timing. My dad, back in the day, used a small piece of paper and just put it flat up against the end of the hose and let the vacuum hold it in place to essentially cap off any lines while he made adjustments. Only problem I saw with that as a kid was anytime the engine died, all those little squares of paper would just all fall down and he'd have to start all over again. Somewhat comical now that I think back about it LOL.

A18A
07-15-2006, 11:04 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ssssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt so now i just caused a vacuum leak and now it wont run the same? :'(

RamThis
07-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep. Most any vacuum line you unhook, you need to cap off the "source" that the vacuum line came from, or if you have the end that connects to something that is activated by the vacuum line, find a way to cap it off instead. Either way, dont just unhook one and leave it open to the environment, as everything that runs off vacuum is rendered useless because the open hose will not let the vacuum tree draw down a vacuum.

AccordB20A
07-16-2006, 12:13 AM
you poor chap. you really do want my injected 18a dont you...what a shame ur nt getting it. carbs suck thats why i smashed mine of with a hammer and mounted a b20a injection intake on it:D

3GCVC
07-16-2006, 12:46 AM
you poor chap. you really do want my injected 18a dont you...what a shame ur nt getting it. carbs suck thats why i smashed mine of with a hammer and mounted a b20a injection intake on it:D

and i rigged up the dizzy with a new bracked and ported out the intake ports for the injectors!!!!!!!!!

A18A
07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
pfft 1 day ill get a car better than yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE DAY!!!

i shud sell this car see if sum idiot wud wanna pay $1000 for it :) (no, the extra 0 was not there by accident) poor car :(

AccordB20A
07-16-2006, 01:04 AM
hhahaha you never know. GET A JOB....and then come down here and we can EfI your A18A too

A18A
07-16-2006, 01:06 AM
i dont wanna fi it, i wanna new car, and i dont want a job coz dat would mean i would have to work, pushing the buttons all the way down on the keyboard is hard enuf work geez :P

maybe u shud come up here instead seeing you got the going car?!?!?

AccordB20A
07-16-2006, 01:25 AM
yeah u pay me the gas muni

im a jobless bum mannn

A18A
07-16-2006, 01:29 AM
just walk

im a jobless bum mannn two

ANYWAYS!!!! back to MY! thread, its not like i wreck anyone elses

Cant Stop
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
geez just fix it right shame they dont make manuals written in new zealander
my car ran/runs perfect with all the stock stuff on it ,your car is running rich thats why the smoke is black.