PDA

View Full Version : Broken Lug Please Help!!!!

3G Jester
08-27-2002, 02:44 AM
HELP!!!!! About a month ago i brought my car to western auto to have some new tires put on---they moved the rims around too cause i have stock stealies and there is one different one and it got moved......anyways---when they put it bacjk on in its new location they forgot to put the hub cap on---so last night i jacked up the car and took of the lug nuts---doing it the way u should relieving presure equally-----but at the end when i was pullnig them off one by one the finnnal one got stuck at the end---i pulled hard and the lug nut and the WHOLE BOLT BROKE OFF INSIDE THE LUG NUT!!!!!! NOW THERE IS ONLY 3 LUGS HOLDING ON MY BACK TIRE!!!!!!

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?! HOW MUCH IS THIS GONNA COST? WHER SHOULD I TAKE IT? CAN I DRIVE IT STILL? im gonna use my dad's second car for today and go cry now....:crying:

ACCORD EX
08-27-2002, 04:08 AM
driving on 3 bolts is ok ! anyway you can get it at out at the tire shop ! or you can do it @ home using a smaller size drill than the lug nut itself ! but it needs experience !

MIKE

shepherd79
08-27-2002, 04:20 AM
no no no, take the hammer and force the broken piece out. than take a new one and shove it into the hole.
it should fix. i had the same problem. they are not that hard to fix.it took me a few minutes. the hard problem was to get the new piece from junk yard, and don't forget the hammer when you go to junk yard.

ACCORD EX
08-27-2002, 04:29 AM
:confused:

MIKE

RobT5580
08-27-2002, 06:11 AM
If you have drums which most of us do then they are real easy just jack up the back and pull the wheel off and with out the ebrake on pull the drum off. You can tap the old one out and put a new one in pretty easy. The front is harder because the hub has to be pulled out a bit to get it out...

staticpat
08-27-2002, 07:24 AM
alright i did this a month ago. you have to get the old one out, and mine couldn't be just hammered unless i took off the hub nut and alot of other crap. i just took off the tire, brake caliper, rotor, and heat shield. then i hacksawed the back of the bolt off and hit the other piece out.

now go to the store and buy new ones, bring one of yours down, to make sure that the ones they give you are the exact same! the first pair i got the spline was too long, so when i tightened the nut too much it got on the spline and got stuck, and ruined the bolt.

alright now you need to get a dremel or grinder of some sort to grind one side of the bolt head flat, this way it will fit back on. if you dont understand what i mean try sticking the new one through the back, see the heads too big. anyway grind it down enough so it will fit. now hammer that mug in (from the back) if its exceedingly hard it means you have another problem. this happend on mine, the splines on the good bolts i got (not too long, this was my second set) were to fat to easily fit through. just use your dremel again, and grind them down some, make sure its a tight fit. now reassemble everything.

or yuo can pay a shop to do it, it only took about an hour once i got the right parts.

staticpat
08-27-2002, 07:25 AM
oh shit, i just realized its your back tire. dont know if its the same as the front.

YK86
08-27-2002, 10:29 AM
I was driving around with three studs on two of my wheels for 4 years (too lazy to change it....). LOL Anyways, you can tap the old one out the back side of the hub (hammer it on the broken side). Remove the center cap of the hub, put the drum back on and pull the e-brake. Use a breaker bar and socket and take off the hub nut off. Now take the drum off again (with e-brake off) and remove all the stuff that was under the hubnut. Now slide the hub off and hammer the new stud in. The studs are only about $2 at any auto store.

kennycm
09-18-2002, 11:12 AM
my car had 3 bad studs on the front driver's side. I took it to a company and i had them replace them all for $25. 2 of my studs had popped and one was broken off, everything runs fine now though.

3G Jester
09-18-2002, 02:05 PM
ok thanks for all who replyied but that was like a month ago and i fixed em myself---rela easy.....thank you though