PDA

View Full Version : Turbo on intake

Fuzy Navel
07-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Question Why havent i seen any threads about putting a turbo on the Intake part where the air goes into the engine? why is it always exhaust ?? Will it not work because the motor can't handle it?? just wondering

ghettogeddy
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
well a turbo is normaly on the exaust it needs something to make the turbine spin

bobafett
07-14-2006, 09:09 AM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

a turbo is an air pump that gets its power from exhaust gas. if it were on the intake side there would be nothing pushing the air, it would just impede flow and kill power. :)

Fuzy Navel
07-14-2006, 06:04 PM
well just wondering because i saw a picture of a turbo on a intake side and what it did was had the turbo on the intake with the filter on the turbo and it had a long metal pole or rod or something sticking out of it running to the other side of the motor and had a pulley on it so the engine made it turn which i guess turned the turbo and forced air into the intake kinda like a supercharger... and if you could like make a elbow in the intake piping one going to a CAI and then the other going to a turbo and getting regular air plus the turbo air?? yes or no? maybe? lol sorry just being stupid and thinking stuff up

gfrg88
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
well just wondering because i saw a picture of a turbo on a intake side and what it did was had the turbo on the intake with the filter on the turbo and it had a long metal pole or rod or something sticking out of it running to the other side of the motor and had a pulley on it so the engine made it turn which i guess turned the turbo and forced air into the intake kinda like a supercharger... and if you could like make a elbow in the intake piping one going to a CAI and then the other going to a turbo and getting regular air plus the turbo air?? yes or no? maybe? lol sorry just being stupid and thinking stuff up

thats a supercharger....

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
You saw a supercharger. A supercharger is turned by the engine using a pulley system. A turbocharger uses exhaust gas to spin a turbine. Look up superchargers on howstuffworks. Wealth of info there. :)

Edit: gfrg88 beat me :-p

snoopyloopy
07-14-2006, 06:48 PM
yeah, that's a supercharger that you're talking about. and the reason no one has tried it is because it's easier and cheaper to fab up the parts to turbo our cars than it is to fab the parts for a supercharger. not to mention a turbocharger is usually more efficient and can run higher amounts of boost than a supercharger. and on 4 cylinder cars, you just don't see very many supercharger setups because of that reason. although they do make supercharger kits for the b16 that could probably fit with some extensive modding. if you want to sc your car then by no means let us stop you. would be sweet to see one since no one does a supercharger in the honda world even in the civic crowd.

mkymonkey
07-14-2006, 06:56 PM
lol....thats all i have to say lol

B16KILLA
07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I've been thinking about that setup for a while, I just havent had the money to do it. Powerdyne is coming out with a new kit for D abd B series engines . Their very nice setups. Vortech makes kits also, but their BIG BUCKS. You can make one yourself no biggie , you just need a centrifugal superchager.

reanimator420
07-14-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.procharger.com/SPORT_COMPACT/sport_compact.shtml
take a look at the universal one or the one for the si, i thought it was pretty interesting, i would try it if i had the loot though

B16KILLA
07-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I wonder how much that uni kit costs

reanimator420
07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
idk but it would be bad ass to get im still looking at their website now

B16KILLA
07-14-2006, 08:04 PM
idk but it would be bad ass to get im still looking at their website now

me too lol.

reanimator420
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
all i have too say is wow that is nice and i think it can be done pretty easily, at least that is what they say neways

smufguy
07-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Oh snap!!!

Warning: Above is a worthless post

Fuzy Navel
07-15-2006, 01:29 PM
well its just i thought it was turbo because it looked just like a turbo a big snail lol not like a long thingy that fits right on the intake and has a pulley... but thanks guys i learned alot today

Cheeseburger
07-15-2006, 02:16 PM
man this made my day......

snoopyloopy
07-15-2006, 02:52 PM
well its just i thought it was turbo because it looked just like a turbo a big snail lol not like a long thingy that fits right on the intake and has a pulley... but thanks guys i learned alot today
for the record, there are two types of superchargers that are usually used on cars. a roots type and a centrifugal type. you've probably only seen the roots type, which is the kind they usually put in V8s. the one you're talking about here is the centrifugal type.

Fuzy Navel
07-15-2006, 03:41 PM
ohhhhh ok i get it

smufguy
07-15-2006, 06:10 PM
There are technically three types of Superchargers. Screw type, Roots Type and Centrifugal type. Even tho the Screw and roots type are often thought of the same and hard to distinguish between each other, the difference arises from the way the air is compressed in these superchargers.

reanimator420
07-15-2006, 06:36 PM
wow i understand now, but i wonder how much that kit cost, or if we could use there b series kit and modify that. i would love to have a supercharged 3g

bobafett
07-16-2006, 12:08 AM
i think me and zeph measured it out and the b series charger kits wouldn't fit all that easily. from what we could tell the charger would run into the strut mount and the body of the car. you would have to do a lot of work and honestly i have never seen supercharged numbers on 4cylinder cars that make it worthwhile, unless you like paying 3000 for 40 hp... heheh

smufguy
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
read up on threads in the performance section and also the Project sections. maybe you can get some of your exicting ideas in words there ;)

snoopyloopy
07-16-2006, 06:36 PM
i wouldn't mind a supercharged 3g either, but i'd turbo it as well. all on an auto tranny. :lol: