PDA

View Full Version : Carbs that got rained on/in

FyreDaug
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
One of my cars I had in the yard didnt have a hood or air cleaner assembly and it has rained many times since it found that home. Just wondering if the carb is still gonna be usable. Spray alot of carb cleaner in there if we have to, but is the carb screwed or can we still use it with alot of cleaner? (I know it worked and ran the car fine at one time)

A20A1
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I would worry about the linkages, return spring, etc. Since if they are getting corroded it'll stick your throttle open.
Also clean the jets as good as you can.

The carb should be rebuilt anyways though.
I figure you stripped the carb to basics
Basicly the accel pump diaphragm and any spring on the carb should be replaced along with o-rings and gaskets.

You can use a spring you find in the hardware store to replace the spring on the outer arm that presses against the other arm that them presses on the rod that pushes on the accel pump diaphragm. I got one that was nice and tight. The cotter pins should all be replaced as well.

FyreDaug
07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Okay, everything looked good, I moved all the linkages and stuff and everything returned the way it should, the jets were tight and it wasnt leaking anything. Didnt turn it upside down either. I dont plan on using these carbs for too long, eventually moving to a weber, or DCOEs if we got some cash.

A18A
07-14-2006, 02:56 PM
i left the air cleaner lid off my carb and heaaps of moisture from the bonet dripped into teh carb, it didnt start then (i dont know if it was lack of petrol or the water) but i put the lid on and the next day when it dried out a bit it started after holding the starter motor on for a while