PDA

View Full Version : A/C switch test

mhopton
07-15-2006, 04:12 AM
I have a new AC system (2 years) and it blows cold til yesterday. The light went out on the dash as did the cold air. When I push the button it still kicks the compressor on - so could some portion of the switch be bad?

I have the manual and have read the section but do not have the knowledge or tools (meter) to test electrical bits - jeez, I'm a banker.

Also, the lights do not light up on any of the push buttons for the air control panel.

HELP - IT's HOT!!

thanks, Mike

PS, 89 LX

mhopton
07-15-2006, 05:04 AM
OK, that wasn't too bad. I've narrowed it down to the Heater Control panel as being bad. I can deal with that. Now to figure out which plugs on the A/C connector that the dash switch plugs into to jump in order to get power to the compressor... or will that work?

Mac
07-15-2006, 12:44 PM
You might have a blown fuse. Check fuse #5 (10 amp) in the under the dash fuse panel. I think it is labeled rear window defrost.

mhopton
07-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh YEAH!! It's that #5 fuse!! I didn't even think to check that it could be the rear defrost fuse - I checked just about all the other ones though.

Thanks Mac! Now if the salvage yard will hopefully take back the control assy that I bought this afternoon...

thanks again...

Mac
07-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Not a problem. Even if the junk yard doesn't take it back, you can use it to start a spare parts collection like alot of us have.