PDA

View Full Version : what should I do? v. wheel bearings

FyreDaug
07-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Ive got bad wheel bearings on my front hubs, but Ive got good lower ball joints in there (replaced them with premium ones last year). Now my options are either get a used hub from a wrecker with unknown ball joint/wheel bearing condition for 25 each and throw em on, hope they work, or I can press in new wheel bearings into these 2 hubs for 74.99 each side + tax + press in labor... Probably 110 per side for what could be done for 25. The other 2 hubs I have are in unknown condition too, they need lower ball joints... Its too bad I didnt have these wheel bearings in the hub with good ball joints, then I could just buy these 2 hubs and not worry about them. I need all 4 hubs, so I cant just use the other 2, they are already being used.

Im thinkin of just getting the hubs and not doing the wheel bearings, just because itll probably work fine, and maybe ill get lucky and itll have good wheel bearings in it

lostforawhile
07-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Ive got bad wheel bearings on my front hubs, but Ive got good lower ball joints in there (replaced them with premium ones last year). Now my options are either get a used hub from a wrecker with unknown ball joint/wheel bearing condition for 25 each and throw em on, hope they work, or I can press in new wheel bearings into these 2 hubs for 74.99 each side + tax + press in labor... Probably 110 per side for what could be done for 25. The other 2 hubs I have are in unknown condition too, they need lower ball joints... Its too bad I didnt have these wheel bearings in the hub with good ball joints, then I could just buy these 2 hubs and not worry about them. I need all 4 hubs, so I cant just use the other 2, they are already being used.
Im thinkin of just getting the hubs and not doing the wheel bearings, just because itll probably work fine, and maybe ill get lucky and itll have good wheel bearings in ityou should be able to get the bearings cheaper then that,it's not that hard to press them in,I would go with the new ball joints you already have,they are critical in this suspension. why don't you try somewhere like majestic honda and order the bearings? also when you have the bearings done get the lug studs replaced,they are pretty cheap and it's good insurance,it can't be done later. I went with arp on mine only becaue of the difficulty of replacing them later. have you thought of fixing one of the other knuckles and just pressing the ball joints back out? a lot of auto parts stores rent the tool to do this. you can also use a big vise and pieces of pipe or big sockets. I'm going to look for the thread I started on this already and put the link up in a few minutes,so far I've replaced lower ball joints,upper control arms and ball joints,lug studs,wheel bearings,rebuilt two lower control arms,just put them in today. and all the bushings of course. I just ended up rebuilding a set of used knuckles I had,painted them, powder coated the hubs etc. oh new sway bar bushings too,also new tie rod ends a while back, it's worth the money,this car handles fantastic with new parts.

lostforawhile
07-15-2006, 08:35 PM
heres the link if it helps any http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52746

lostforawhile
07-16-2006, 09:30 AM
If the shipping wasn't so much i would do it for you,but the cost to ship these heavy knuckles back and forth would be really out there. have you considered buying the bearings and maby having a local tech school press them in for you? actually I have the set of knuckles I took off my car and the bearings aren't that bad,the ball joints were just shot. if you want to trade sets, just cover the shipping, and send me your old set. the only thing I'm concerned about is there any difference between 86 dx knuckles and what you've got? these aren't new bearings but they are functional. I just went ahead and did new bearings and ball joints on the other set of knuckles I had. the only thing i would be cocerned about is one of them has a broke lug stud, while the knuckle is off the car you are supposed to be able to remove just the hub to replace it.

Kabuki
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
How about I ship you both bearings for $75 plus shipping? They are only about two kilograms boxed up, so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Even from Oregon to Saskatoon.

FyreDaug
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I think I may just be getting the hubs from a yard, ill let you know by monday I guess

lostforawhile
07-22-2006, 06:23 AM
well I wouldn't mind just sending these knuckles if you send me your old ones so I still have a spare set. I don't need any money for them I just want to try and help you out if I can. these bearings aren't perfect but they will work for a while. I would remove them and you could just have the bearings,but once they've been in there for a while,removing them destroys the bearings. I just have them put up for emergencys if it came down to it I could put another bearing and ball joint in one of them and keep my car on the road. alll I care about is the shipping cost I don't need any money it would be an even trade.

FyreDaug
07-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Well that broken lug stud isnt a big deal, how are the ball joints in there? I can pick them up locally for 50 bucks, I imagine I would pay for shipping for you to send them here and for me to send to you. Dunno if its gonna be more or less than 50. I appreciate the offer none theless, but if the balljoints are good ill consider.

lostforawhile
07-23-2006, 10:06 AM
the ball joints are bad,thats why I replaced hem,I thought you might be able to swap out the bad ball joints for your good ones,but it might be cheaper to find a set of spindles at the junkyard

FyreDaug
07-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah thats what im thinking though, how much you figure shipping would be for those 2? (have to do it twice)