PDA

View Full Version : strut clunk?

lostforawhile
07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok I finally got a set of lower arms rebuilt and in my car,thank god,what a job!!! when the strut was disconnected from the lower arm,I checked it for looseness and when I moved it I got a distinct clunk from it. the strut bolts are tight,and I don't have any rust whatsoever in my strut towers. I have an extra set of struts in my loft in the shop,but what causes the clunk? it's the same clunk I get when I'm driving,so I know it's the strut. also has anyone heard of the bolts that hold the lower arms to the frame wearing? know the control arm bushing pivots on the bolt and i noticed the bolt was loose when i put it in the lower arm,off the car. I figured after twenty years it might have worn somewhat. I will check an extra bolt later with some mikes. I noticed after bolting the lower arm in I could still move it slightly on the bolt,even with a new bushing. for a laugh the book says to have the inner arm bushing removed at the dealer or a suspension shop,it takes special tools LOL yea a torch to burn the bushing and a cold chisel and hammer

lostforawhile
07-16-2006, 09:25 AM
any ideas?

AccordRacing21
07-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Jack it up and shake it down up and down and side to side and see if you have any movement anywhere. Put a bar under the tire and pry up with the bar and see if there is any movement. Maybe you've already tried this?

lostforawhile
07-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I already did this,the strut clunks when moved by itself,I just wondered what in the strut causes this.

lostforawhile
07-16-2006, 08:01 PM
hey did the 89 lxi hatch front struts have a slightly different rate? I've got a set of them assembled they have fewer miles on them.