PDA

View Full Version : Camber kit ?

accorddude
05-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Is this the correct Camber kit i need for my car (1989 honda accord 2dr DX)? http://www.progressauto.com/products/camberkits.html

Hope that link works....please let me know if that is the one that i need....or if that one is not the one i need maybe this one is.... http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/ingalls.htm

Thanks for the help.

Peace.

AccordChemist
05-06-2002, 07:41 PM
yep, but if i were you id get some prelude arms from a junkyard real cheap instead of a high priced camber kit. unless you got money burnin a hole in your pocket..

Mike89Accordcom
05-07-2002, 01:23 PM
I would go with the camber, you don't want something used.

Night Rida
05-08-2002, 04:47 AM
hey man
Gotta roll with Mike on that one, get the caster camber kit.
Jay
Night Rida

Jims 86LXI HB
05-08-2002, 07:31 AM
I could go either way. When replying to camber questions. I don't think I've ever mentioned the prelude arms. Maybe I'd be doing the members of this board a better service if I started to mention them as well, so if they are so inclined to save some money, at least I gave them that option. I really don't see how using the prelude parts could be considered a reliability risk, I mean what about them could wear out? How many stories have you heard about a car having a suspension part fail because of it's age, like a control arm? Bushing's yes, but a arm?

accorddude
05-08-2002, 02:35 PM
So should I stick with the Progress camber kit? It seems like a nice one....anyone else have one? Thanks for all the help.
Peace.

AccordChemist
05-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
I could go either way. When replying to camber questions. I don't think I've ever mentioned the prelude arms. Maybe I'd be doing the members of this board a better service if I started to mention them as well, so if they are so inclined to save some money, at least I gave them that option. I really don't see how using the prelude parts could be considered a reliability risk, I mean what about them could wear out? How many stories have you heard about a car having a suspension part fail because of it's age, like a control arm? Bushing's yes, but a arm?

exactly, you get the prelude arms and then go buy new balljoints for them...they will be perfectly fine. and it doesnt matter if the arms are used. there is no possible way for the arms to wear out. shit its a piece of steel.

86AccordLxi
05-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Do you still need a camber kit for the rear?

Alex

guaynabo89
05-16-2002, 06:29 AM
I'd say go for the prelude arms. I bought a camber kit for the front and its kind of difficult to adjust. I think the one I have is ingalls. I replaces the center shaft of the arm letting it pivot in and out.

The prelude arms adjust the ball joint itself and is easier to get to whe getting alingned.

Thats just my opinon though. I've never seen how difficult it is to adjust camber using the prelude arms.:)

vtec11
05-16-2002, 12:49 PM
guaynabo89,

do you do your own alignment???

AccordChemist
05-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
Thats just my opinon though. I've never seen how difficult it is to adjust camber using the prelude arms.:)

all you have to do is move the balljoint all the way to the end of them arm and youre set...it took me about 30mins to put the arms on...real easy

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 05:13 PM
I use to play with the camber on my car. I could bring my car back for alignments as many times as I wanted. The guy at the alignment place helped me pretty much also. Its kind of hard to squeese your hand through to adjust camber.

I had my wheels set at -1 degree of camber all around.:)

89accordhb
05-18-2002, 01:06 PM
I have an ingalls kit up front on my car with intrax springs. I can't get enough correction out of it though. Anyone else had this problem.

I would say my drop up front is ~ 2"

http://www.thepaul.net/car/pictures/sus1.jpg

Akuma
05-18-2002, 09:08 PM
fuck, i just went to les schwab and had them put one on... it wasnt too expensive... im getting the back done in a few weeks too... then its new shocks...

btw, what kind of shocks does anybody recommend, im thinking of tokico or kyb?

also, my car is dropped 2" front and rear

Jims 86LXI HB
05-18-2002, 10:08 PM
btw, what kind of shocks does anybody recommend, im thinking of tokico or kyb?

Well the KYB's are valved as oem replacements, not for stiffer lowering springs. The tokico's should be a little bit stiffer and not that much more expensive, $235 at shox.com. If you can afford them, the koni's would be the best strut set-up, no bounce, nice and firm, for a price though, $424+free shipping from shox.com.
I'm running the koni's btw. And soon I'll be testing re-valved Bilsteins. :D

Curious, what 2" drop spring are you running Akuma?

Akuma
05-19-2002, 06:32 PM
i have the sprint springs...

Jims 86LXI HB
05-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Ok, knowing that you have sprints. I can comment further on NOT going with the KYB GR-2's. Pimpingaccord has GR-2's and sprints. On the AF board he commented that he felt they rode terrible and that the Koni's were likely worth the money.

accordlx
05-20-2002, 02:53 PM
GR-2's blow the cartridges too quickly on dropped cars on the front end. I blew my fronts with the quickness and wasted my money. No refunds from Tirerack.com either if you have this problem. I run Tokicos now without problems with a 3" drop. If Jim says that the Koni's are good, use em'. Don't waste your money like I did. Which Koni's do you run Jim?

Akuma
05-20-2002, 11:13 PM
good... i was planning on tokico's or koni's... now i know...

Big D
05-21-2002, 02:01 PM
What year arms do you use for the camber adjusting? If anyone could answer this I would be very greatful. I am looking to save some money ( I have alot of work left on this car).:D

AccordChemist
05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
84-87 prelude, 2nd gen.

vtec11
05-22-2002, 07:26 AM
if you get the arms, who will put them them on ?

its kinda hard to do isn't it.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by accordlx
GR-2's blow the cartridges too quickly on dropped cars on the front end. I blew my fronts with the quickness and wasted my money. No refunds from Tirerack.com either if you have this problem. I run Tokicos now without problems with a 3" drop. If Jim says that the Koni's are good, use em'. Don't waste your money like I did. Which Koni's do you run Jim?

Koni only makes their "special" strut for our cars and that's what I have. Since the sprints are stiffer than most of the other springs, I really cannot recommend any other strut than the Koni's. I wish we had cheaper options, but we don't. You can get tokico's but I don't think they much firmer than the KYB's. Certainly the tokico's would be a better choice they the GR-2's, but I openly question if they are enough.

Big D
05-22-2002, 07:20 PM
::D I will put the arms on. I have done that type of work before.
It can't be any harder than changing the engine and trans from automatic to 5 speed.

I don't think I will do the rear discs though. Does anybody know someone interested in a complete 89 SE-i rear suspension? It is from ball joint to ball joint all it needs are the brake cables and secondary hoses.

Akuma
05-23-2002, 11:42 AM
What kind of price am I lookin at to get Koni's all the way around on the car. 88 Accord sedan.

thanks

Jims 86LXI HB
05-23-2002, 12:08 PM
$424 + free shipping from www.shox.com
if they are out of stock check www.tirerack.com.

I don't think shox.com has web ordering so you'll have to call them. Their phone number is on their web site. Ask for arthur, he's pretty nice.