PDA

View Full Version : cyl head conversion question

lostforawhile
07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
good question,I'm going to buy a fuel injected head from someone on the site,my question is: will it bolt right up to my carb engine? I know I have to change the dis. but as far as my manifolds and everything,it should line up correct? does the fuel injected dis still have the vaccume advance like my existing dis? and will my existing valve cover bolt on to it also? I can get the valve cover and dis here locally at the yard,but trying to figure out everything in advance

B16KILLA
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Yes to all your questions

MessyHonda
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
yup valve covers are the same... they will bolt in just replace all the gaskets or else its going to leak...found that out when my head gasket blew within 10k

lostforawhile
07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll just order a top end gasket set from Nappa,it'll have the head gaset and every gasket on the top of the engine in there.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
I believe the distributor mounting positions are different between the heads. But this is rectified by swapping the end cap for the camshaft. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Otherwise everything mounts the same. The camshaft is different spec, as you may already know. The FI distributor still has the vacuum advance, but I don't think it is the same as a carbed setup. May still be usable though. Hope this helps.

lostforawhile
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I believe the distributor mounting positions are different between the heads. But this is rectified by swapping the end cap for the camshaft. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Otherwise everything mounts the same. The camshaft is different spec, as you may already know. The FI distributor still has the vacuum advance, but I don't think it is the same as a carbed setup. May still be usable though. Hope this helps.
as long as it has a vaccume advance it sould work,it still rotates 360 degrees and has four plug wires that attach to it. as far as I know the only difference is that it has the two extra sensors in it. those might come in handy one day for a throttle body system or something like it.

Vanilla Sky
07-19-2006, 01:19 AM
the head casting is the same. no difference at all. don't waste your money on the head when you only need the camshaft and the camshaft endcap. you can still mount the EFI distributor to the carb head without the endcap, but it's wise to swap them out.

A20A1
07-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Yup the last bearing is easy to swap over... oh I have a pic of it somewhere on this site.

lostforawhile
07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
i'm not swapping the dis I'm swapping the entire head,my cly head is worn out and this one is rebuilt. I was talking about the dis because I thought I would have to put an efi ds on this head,but if my existing one can be swaped out that would be great. I just put an expensive module in it too.

Vanilla Sky
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
ahh, ok. you can keep your old distributor. the carb dis will bolt to the EFI head at 2 of the head's 3 points, and the EFI dis to the carb head at 2 of the dis' 3 points.