PDA

View Full Version : Napa steering rack?

lostforawhile
07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
has anyone tried a rebuilt rack from Nappa yet? my steering rack has developed a clunk and it's time for a new one. it's only 157 dollars and change which is really good, I was wondering how good their rebuilts are? also my pump is fried, I have it disconnected right now,will it hurt the rack to not have fluid in it? I believe the rack and pinion gear itself is greased,the fluid is only assist to help move the rack back and forth. isn't all the fluid bypassed from power assist anyway when the speed sensor calls for no assist?

EducatedFool
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Get a price quote @ CarQuest. High quality stuff :D

sunderland
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I replaced my steering rack with a Napa unit last November. Price: $144.61 + tax and Core Deposit $111.11. It has been working perfectly thus far.

Vanilla Sky
07-19-2006, 01:21 AM
i think i'd go with carquest myself. they seem to have higher quality than anywhere else.

AZmike
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
I've been disappointed with racks rebuilt by Crown. I'm not sure what napa carries. Using the rack without fluid is fine--it's just used for assist.

HondaBoy
07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
anyone know how easy it is to swap a manual rack in for my PS one? i dont have the pump hooked up and for good reason, it didnt even really work. so yeah i need a manual steering rack.

bobafett
07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
unfortunately, it doesnt really seem to be possible to get manual racks. the 'manual' racks from autozone, and all the parts stores is the same as the power assisted rack.

i may need to replace mine, but i am going to just block off all my lines and run straight manual steering like i am now, man you guys should try it, the road feel is soooo much better. :D

forrest89sei
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
has anyone tried a rebuilt rack from Nappa yet? my steering rack has developed a clunk and it's time for a new one. it's only 157 dollars and change which is really good, I was wondering how good their rebuilts are? also my pump is fried, I have it disconnected right now,will it hurt the rack to not have fluid in it? I believe the rack and pinion gear itself is greased,the fluid is only assist to help move the rack back and forth. isn't all the fluid bypassed from power assist anyway when the speed sensor calls for no assist?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-HONDA-ACCORD-REMAN-LONG-RACK-AND-PINON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33604QQihZ004QQit emZ140010838002QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/7/2/1/7/webimg/16053098_o.jpg

mkymonkey
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
so how do you know that your steering rack is going bad? i dont hear anything bad on mine, no clunks, grinding or whatever the fuck makes you think that shit is going bad. so how would i know?

AZmike
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
The steering rack should be replaced if the it's leaking, it doesn't provide assist, or you have isolated play in the steering to the rack itself. As long as the correct fluid is used the original rack should last for the life of most cars.

lostforawhile
07-27-2006, 05:53 PM
so how do you know that your steering rack is going bad? i dont hear anything bad on mine, no clunks, grinding or whatever the fuck makes you think that shit is going bad. so how would i know?there s a lot of play in my steering gear you can hear a clunk as the wheel is turned I was under the car listening as my wife turned the wheel. also there is excess movement in the steering wheel before the wheels start to move. beyond spec. the tie rod ends are pretty new and don't have any play. I got the ones that are greasable from moog. there is a procedure to adjust the play in the steering gear,but with 275000 plus miles on the rack it's time for a new one. it's also leaking. it's was leaking before and I had planned to replace it anyway so I tried some lucas power steering stop leak. it worked for a while,but the pump leak and the rack leak just got worse. no loss anyway. I figured all this stuff would need to be replaced someday. that means every piece in the steering and suspension on the front has now been or will be replaced. it sure makes a difference having a fresh suspension on the front. we have an airplane taxiway where I work and this car handles great. even with the extra play in the steering.