PDA

View Full Version : carb gasket

.:|3G|ACCORD|LX|:.
07-21-2006, 06:44 AM
so i think i most likely have a bad/worn carburator gasket. i thought it was a vacuum leak cause i was spraying carb cleaner in that area ta see if i had a vacuum leak, and the engine would rev up like it did. everytime i got close ta tha bottom of tha carb it would rev up. i found later that there isn't a vacuum leak, tha carb cleaner just ran into the carb. i was wondering what everybody thought bout this, and if anybody knows if i can JUST buy tha gaskets or if they all come together in tha rebuild kit? thanks everybody

2oodoor
07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Normally you cant find them without buying the whole kit, but you may luck up a Honda dealership.
Search the forum for vacuum leaks, carb base., intake gask....also there are a lot of diaphragm vacuum controls around this carb that you could be hitting with the spray, there is a chance one could be ruptured or taking in the spray. I would use a small tube and see if the spray would come out just a little at a time in that area around the gasket.
You can make a gasket, using the carb base heater thing as a template. Use gasket material from parts store, I have used phone books but they are not thick enough anymore. Last time I used a box that alum foil comes in, to make one.

07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Normally you cant find them without buying the whole kit, but you may luck up a Honda dealership.
Search the forum for vacuum leaks, carb base., intake gask....also there are a lot of diaphragm vacuum controls around this carb that you could be hitting with the spray, there is a chance one could be ruptured or taking in the spray. I would use a small tube and see if the spray would come out just a little at a time in that area around the gasket.
You can make a gasket, using the carb base heater thing as a template. Use gasket material from parts store, I have used phone books but they are not thick enough anymore. Last time I used a box that alum foil comes in, to make one.
that sounds pretty good... thanks a lot... my car's been runnin like crap, really bad on start up... i have ta sit there wit tha car for bout ten minutes before it runs by itself... i have ta keep revvin up tha engine for it to stay at idle... if it's not warmed up, it wants ta rev down until dies... any help on that? thanks again

A20A1
07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I'll try and find a printable gasket template for you. Then you can cut your own on a blank gasket sheet. They sell blank gasket sheets at most auto stores.

problem is there are rubber gaskets as well. Those will need to be replaced. But I do get lazy and used some gasket in a tube in a very small bead to help seal the old rubber gasket. The EFE place has the rubber gasket between the carb and the EFE plate. The other gasket which is paper like, is between the EFE plate and the intake manifold.

Here you go.

In the case of the base gasket you'll need to make a little hole for coolant to go through. The hole is not marked on the gasket image in this thread.
You only need a small hole.

You can check it against your old gasket.
Don't worry about the outline matching up, what it important is the holes for the bolts and for the throttle plates.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=481039&postcount=8

07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
thanks a lot... ima be sure ta do that... unless i can jus get a gasket... but thank you guys

MessyHonda
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
i just walked in to kragen and got both lower and upper gaskets for 10 bucks...i think i have an extra set they are in the back. since i lost them and then i found them

07-22-2006, 02:11 PM
oh, so there's two now? haha... im used to workin on older cars... mostly chevy 350's ya digg haha... but yeah, thanks everybody... i gotta get on that, thanks

07-23-2006, 05:04 AM
i got tha gaskets jus in case anybody was wonderin haha... less than ten bucks at shuck's, or kragen, or whatever whatever whatever from wherever yer from haha... but yeah, thanks guys