PDA

View Full Version : painted lug nuts

89l_x_i
07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Just wondering but has anyone here ever painted there lug nuts? Im getting new rims and lug nuts with them soon so i decided to mess around with my wheels (paint them and such). I took off my center caps awhile ago and i cant seem to find them so i wanted to paint my lug nuts same color as my car. I just wanna know what kind of paint to use.:bowrofl:

Cheeseburger
07-21-2006, 04:30 PM
:ugh2:

frantik
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
paintscratch.com has spray paint in all stock colors

HostileJava
07-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I dunno how long paint would last on lugs, seems like the socket would chew it off. I'd think anodizing or chroming them might be a better idea.

89l_x_i
07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
lmao @ cheeseburger. Yeah i know its not the coolest thing but eh:nuts: and i was thinking of painting it a chrome green or chrome blue not a flat color just like the stuff they sell at pep-boys and as long as it last for a few days il be happy with it lol:rofl:

rick_spiff
08-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Use Rustoleum Enamel. Make sure it is enamel. Pick a gloss color, wash those lug nuts VERY, VERY thoroughly (soap & water last; parts cleaner leaves a residue that ruins the paint), then rough up with 400-grit sandpaper or a scotch pad and paint away.

Use the 500 degree stuff for engine blocks. It'll be toast after you rotate your tires once or twice, but after putting them back on, they should look ok. Plus this enamel will hold up to road abuse pretty good.

2ndGenGuy
08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
You can use Wax and Grease remover after the soap and water, it leaves no residue. It's used in professional shops as the last step usually before spraying paint. Use it after sanding to keep your fingerprints off and clean the sandpaper dust off. I used it on my drum brakes and not a single bit of paint has flaked off of them.

MessyHonda
08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
i have some chrome ones that tuner nuts so you need a special socket to take off the lug nuts. i cant tell a diff but if you had like a neon color or something it might stand out

lostforawhile
08-02-2006, 03:21 PM
your best bet is to have them powdercoated,it's not as expensive as you might think. that will stand up pretty well to abuse. advance sells lug nuts in the colors too, if you want i'll check on the price for you,there is a powdercoater right down the street from where I work. I could blast them for you then it won't cost as much to prep for powder. or if you want to handle the shipping I could just blast them for you and put them in some etching primer.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
08-02-2006, 07:16 PM
:ugh2:
What he said

Cheeseburger
08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm a man of wise words....

AccordB20A
08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
well i repaint mine whenever the paint falls off lol

89l_x_i
08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Hmm the thing is i found my wheel covers and put them on so right now this idea is out the window lol :lock: