PDA

View Full Version : 10 inch sub in the rear deck ?

drago742
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
hey i wanted to see wht ever only else had to say about this b4 i actually go try to do it... i wanna mount a 10 inch sub in the rear deck instead of havin a box for it wht do yall think about that does ne one knoe if it will still sound the same if it was in a box?? i wanna try and do this because i wanna have 2 12s inside of the trunk with the amp mounted inbetween them

ghettogeddy
07-22-2006, 10:35 PM
id say no unless u make the back deck solid cause it would just rattle all to hell a sound like shit that and if ur gona have 2 12 its just gona make the 10 destort due to air travel u can do it like my old setup and put the sub were the spare tire is in a truck boxhttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0674.jpg

drago742
07-23-2006, 07:39 AM
o0o hmm yea in that case i might try it that way and see how that goes

FyreDaug
07-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Probably wont sound very good

2ndGenGuy
07-23-2006, 02:16 PM
If you do it right, it should sound fine. My parent's Toyota Avalon came with an 8 inch JBL sub in the back deck between the speakers. Sounded damn good. Especially for a stock stereo.

Actually, I think that a good number of the newer luxury cars come with subs up there. It sounds better because the speaker is IN the car and not passing sound up through the back seat. I'm going to put an 8 in my back deck pretty soon myself. The only trouble you might run into is the tortion rods that hold the trunk open pass right underneath, so you might need to check that out before you modify.

drago742
07-23-2006, 04:21 PM
yea i know i had an avalon with a 8 inch sub that shit knocked till i toltoled it

Hash_man_Se_i
07-23-2006, 05:22 PM
If you do it right, it should sound fine. My parent's Toyota Avalon came with an 8 inch JBL sub in the back deck between the speakers. Sounded damn good. Especially for a stock stereo.

Thats because those subs are designed to be used in a free air setup. Most subs are not and therefor will sound like ass. Unless you get a sub specifically designed to be used in a free air setup then dont bother, the outcome will suck.

ghettogeddy
07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
but every one is forgetting he is also putting 2 12's in the trunk so free air or not its gona sond like bobo due to air travel

mkymonkey
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
why do you want to put so many fucking speakers in your car? and whats the point?

FyreDaug
07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Ive got 2 MB QUart Components up front and an uber 12" Type R in the trunk, 3cuft ported box. Why would you need more than that? 143.7db is plenty loud esp when its a SQ system

2ndGenGuy
07-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Thats because those subs are designed to be used in a free air setup. Most subs are not and therefor will sound like ass. Unless you get a sub specifically designed to be used in a free air setup then dont bother, the outcome will suck.

It's not completely free air. You might be talking a good amount more air space, but the trunk will become the "box" for the speaker. My 6 1/2's in the back are hooked to an amp and they bump pretty hard by themselves. They're not designed for open air either, but because the trunk space is seperated from the car I think they do okay. I think that since the 6 1/2s sound okay, having a dedicated bass speaker would probably be fine. A speaker designed for open air would be less of a risk to purchase though.

Although, with 2 12's in the back, it might just get overpowered. I could see it if say you had a single 12 in a sealed box to get the really low frequencies, then the 10 or 8 in the back deck to get a good loud punch right in the cabin of the car. They would probably compliment eachother well.

I guess the only way to really find out for sure would be to give it a shot. I say go for it. I want to try it myself. You can always re-cover the back panel after you cut a hole in it, and nobody will know any different.

Does anybody know what makes a speaker "open air"? Even open air subs sound better with a box. So could that be just some marketing gimick, or are there speakers that actually sound better when not in a box?

MessyHonda
07-24-2006, 03:08 PM
it would not be a good idea...just put it in a box...i had a 10 inch kicker with no box and it did not sound good...in the box it sounded better

FyreDaug
07-24-2006, 06:55 PM
It's not completely free air. You might be talking a good amount more air space, but the trunk will become the "box" for the speaker. My 6 1/2's in the back are hooked to an amp and they bump pretty hard by themselves. They're not designed for open air either, but because the trunk space is seperated from the car I think they do okay. I think that since the 6 1/2s sound okay, having a dedicated bass speaker would probably be fine. A speaker designed for open air would be less of a risk to purchase though.

Ill have to stop you there for a sec chief, if you really think about it, the trunk isnt acting as a box. Especially that big of a box. Thats like 7.5-8.5 cubic feet. Thats more than enough to consider it free air. Not only that but its not tight, itll go through the seats, out the little drain hole on the side in the back by the bumper, and leak every other direction. You wont have ANY pressurized air in the trunk like that unless its in a proper enclosure.

Sabz5150
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Fyre has a valid point. I would not consider the trunk itself to be a sealed enclosure at all. And even if it were fully enclosed (think welding) the size would be so off that it would not sound good.

drago742
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
yea im just goin to go with 2 10s i got the one 10 pushin bass and thas pointed to the rear of the car thats being run by a 500 watt bazooka amp and the other pointed inside of the car with the seat down being run by a 800 watt alpine v12 i think its 800 but as of right now it sounds preaty good ima post to pics when i get them off my moms camera

ghettogeddy
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
hoghs and lows coming from a ten thats is not good for the voice coils at all if u want highs by some 61/2 please dont use a 10 inche woffer it will not sound good at all in a couple of months

drago742
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
ooo i didnt know that in tthat case ill get some 6x9's this week and change it around

ghettogeddy
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
ya its just not good for the voice coils on subs people get confused when there here voice coils and think that there for voice

FyreDaug
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
My subs never get above 70hz, and my MB Quarts never get below 60. I have them set perfectly at 60 each, full spectrum on high quality stuff FTMFW

MessyHonda
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
well sounds like a good set up maybe tomorrow i will be a owner of 2 jl 12inch w6v1 they pump out like 300RMS each...im not sure

HondaBoy
07-26-2006, 12:34 AM
i noticed that the Sterling 825 and 827 had 8 inch speakers in the rear and sounded pretty good when they were new. they werent boxed in or anything. but for a sub, i'd say it'll need some enclosure to sound decent. since you'd be going through the trouble of mounting a sub in the deck, why not try and make a box of some sort for it? that'd be cool, but i dont know if you still want to do this.

2ndGenGuy
07-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I think you guys are right, without a box of some kind it will probably fuXor the speaker and not sound all that tight. Maybe with some kind of box behind it, it would sound really good. I just like the idea of having a small (sub)woofer actually inside the car. I really want to figure out a way to do it.

FyreDaug
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
You could just build a small box for an 8" sub and put it behind the center console before the middle rear seat. You just wont have access to that seat anymore. I did that with a 10" though the box was a little bit and pushed on the seats, it had some good bass inside the car

drago742
07-26-2006, 05:25 PM
You could just build a small box for an 8" sub and put it behind the center console before the middle rear seat. You just wont have access to that seat anymore. I did that with a 10" though the box was a little bit and pushed on the seats, it had some good bass inside the car

yea that does work i had tried that when i had my avalon that sub hit prearty nice

chainz
07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
I remember this has been talked about before and the majority vote was 'not a good idea to add subs to the rear deck'.
Peeps said that you will never be able to get hard-hitting bass out of them and even if you could you'd risk blowing out your rear window.

FyreDaug
07-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I remember this has been talked about before and the majority vote was 'not a good idea to add subs to the rear deck'.
Peeps said that you will never be able to get hard-hitting bass out of them and even if you could you'd risk blowing out your rear window.

Blowing out the rear window? Yeah right. Before this single 12" Type R I had my buddies 2 15" Kicker solobarics and his 1200.1 amp. That shit went louder than 148db and it was facing up towards the window of my hatch. Pounded the shit out of it and you could see the glass vibrating, but blowing out the windows? yeah right *rolls eyes*

ghettogeddy
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
we did 2 15" soloberics in a camero facing up and blew the rear windows out imn not sure what the db"s were but we also made some guys ears bleed just a little he can still hear now

FyreDaug
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
ok

chainz
07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I told u someone on here said that

drago742
07-29-2006, 07:28 AM
yea it can happen if the db's are high enough it could break it

FyreDaug
07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Its more of a resonant frequency than dbs to blow it out