PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, Transmission Oil Question

.:|3G|ACCORD|LX|:.
07-24-2006, 06:31 AM
so im in tha process of overhaulin a bunch of ish my lx... i started changin all tha fluids when i came ta tha process of my transmission fluid... i drained tha tranny oil fine, but when it came to taking off the tranny oil check/fill bolt, i ran into a GIANT problem... after trying multiple times, tried by multiple people, using multiple methods, including using half a can of wd-40, i stripped tha effin bolt... i dont know what ta do now, i cant drive tha car until i have replaced tha tranny oil... somebody said ta jus drill a hole in tha top of tha tranny and fill it there, then plug the hole wit a rubber cap/seal? doesn't sound very good haha... but i need my car back asap, somebody please help!!... thanks a lot everybody

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Rule #1: ALWAYS remove the fill bolt first before draining.

You can fill the tranny by removing the power steering speed sensor valve at the back and putting the oil back in through that hole. Get a new bolt from the dealer and if you didn't round the head of the bolt completely, get some high quality precisely-made sockets to remove it. You can also try hammering on a smaller size socket and removing it that way. I ended up using a short socket with a 24" breaker bar on mine. Access is pretty easy from the top. Penetrating oil doesn't really work on this bolt because of the huge washer area around the threads.

Hope this helps.

carotman
07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
yup. 2 quarts through the speed sensor. You might as well leave it like this after that. lol

07-24-2006, 02:16 PM
any help on where tha power steering speed sensor valve is located? i have a chilton's, but can't find where it's at... help please, id like ta finally drive my car hahaha... thanks though

bobafett
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
if you are standing on the passenger side fender, leaning into the engine bay, the speed sensor is a little peice on the left side of the transmission, with a cable going into the center of it, with a retaining clip. also it will have two rubber lines going into it and back into the power steering system.

reanimator420
07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
damn that sucks man best of luck too u, and if all fails, ask for a tranny here b/c these people will hook you up

07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
thanks everybody... i gotta go check on this asap... i jus woke up cause i stayed up til 7:30 in tha morn tryin ta figure this whole thing out haha... thanks for tha light though, i appreciate yer guys' help

07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
i still can't find tha speed sensor... i dont know exactly where it's at, i dont know what im looking for so i dont even know if im looking in tha right location. i have tha front end up on ramps too, but still can't find it... please help... thanks everybody

07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
alright, i found it FINALLY haha, and ive taken tha sensor out... my only problem now is that i dont know exactly how much fluid ta put in... some have said 3 quarts while some are saying 2 quarts... which is it? please help fast, got a job interview tomorrow morn haha... thanks guys

07-24-2006, 06:04 PM
so i stripped my tranny fluid check/fill bolt when i was changing my tranny oil, so now i am going ta jus fill tha tranny through tha speed sensor on tha top of tha tranny... my question is, how many quarts to i need to dump in? some have said two while some have said three... please help asap, i have a job interview tomorrow morn... thank you everybody

Strugglebucket
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
i always go with 2½.

Drewcifer1972
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Specs in the service manual say 2.8 US quarts at fluid change and 5.8 at assembly. Only use 5.8 IF YOU HAVE DRAINED THE CONVERTER which I dont think you did. so 2.8 if you emptied just the pan all the way. You can download the Service Manual on this site and fluid specs for the trans are on page 34 if you want to verify. BTW it is better to under fill SLIGHTLY than to ever overfill from what I have heard so don't do 3. even though in my opinion .2 quarts wouldn't make a difference to me
Good luck with the interview.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Exactly 2.4 quarts is needed. Use the markings on the side of the bottle to put it in this amount. Good luck (better have a long funnel handy)

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Specs in the service manual say 2.8 US quarts at fluid change and 5.8 at assembly. Only use 5.8 IF YOU HAVE DRAINED THE CONVERTER which I dont think you did. so 2.8 if you emptied just the pan all the way. You can download the Service Manual on this site and fluid specs for the trans are on page 34 if you want to verify. BTW it is better to under fill SLIGHTLY than to ever overfill from what I have heard so don't do 3. even though in my opinion .2 quarts wouldn't make a difference to me
Good luck with the interview.

Manual transmission spec is 2.4 quarts (although OP didn't specify a manual tranny, but autos don't have a fill bolt :) )