PDA

View Full Version : Serious Engine Problems??

.:|3G|ACCORD|LX|:.
07-25-2006, 04:16 AM
it's like it's one problem after another wit this car, im starting to get really discouraged wit this honda... im having two possible problems... tha first is, i was repacing tha pcv valve and tha top came off, then my friend was trying to pry tha bottom part out and pushed it into tha hose... we jus said eff it since tha plunger was already out of tha valve and it wouldn't really do anything except restrict some air flow... does anybody know how i can get tha broken pcv valve out of tha hose?... secondly, i was taking off tha top bolt on tha thermostat housing and it snapped in half, now i can't get it to come off... does anybody have any idea of how to get it off? vice grips aren't really workin at all... i already had to reschedule my interview fer goodyear, pretty effin weak, this car's really discouraging... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!... thanks everybody

sunderland
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
To get the broken pcv valve part out of the hose, you would probably have to get under the engine and remove the hose. It's located above the oil filter. I have replaced that hose on my car because it was brittle and broke where the pcv valve fits into it. Taking the hose off is not an easy job unless you can put the car up on a hoist. If you leave the broken pcv part in the hose (or it may have fallen down to the black plastic box), I don't think it will cause any problems. Do a search for "pcv valve" to double check on this.

Regarding the thermostat housing bolt, it sounds like you might need to drill into the center of the bolt with a small drill bit and then use a small easy-out (bolt extractor) to remove the threaded part of the bolt. You can get one of these at any auto parts store. This method requires something like PB blaster or WD-40 to keep the drill bit lubed and help the bolt threads to loosen up. Just spray a little bit on the tip of the drill bit every few seconds while drilling. Also, run the drill bit slow. If you run it too fast, it will just heat up and dull the bit.

Don't give up. Fixing some of these annoying problems are still better than making car payments and high insurance bills. :uh:

88Accord-DX
07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Might try to get a real small flat headed screw driver or pick to see if you can pull it up out the tube. Other than that, if it falls down, it will land in the breather box mounted on the side of the block. It isn't a real big deal. Might consider replacing the PCV tube, it isn't easy to reach though.

The bolt that broke off, might try a small drill bit & drill in the center of the bolt & use a easy-out. Spray a little PB Laster on what is left of the bolt to help break it loose. If that don't work, you will need to drill and tap it out, possibly using a heli-coil for the same thread pattern for that particular bolt.

HondaBoy
07-26-2006, 12:14 AM
man, so you are thinking of giving up on the car because of small problems? if that was my case i would have given up a long time ago. all the problems i have had were small and pretty easy to fix. anyways, you would be good with some PB blaster, WD40 isnt penatraing oil but a lubricant and probably wont work. if you could, try and drill out the bolt. i've had to do that on a few things myself. as for the PCV valve, its best to get it out of that hose. once you get under the car and know where things are its easy, IMO. i dunno what else to tell you except what the other guys said is right. how far in did that bolt break off? are a few threads at least exposed? good luck.

.:|3G|ACCORD|LX|:.
07-26-2006, 01:09 AM
alright, so i figured that id jus leave tha pcv in tha hose fer now, and if i feel loss of power or something wierd goin on, ill take tha pcv valve out of tha hose and jus replace tha hose... and about tha broken bolt on tha thermostat housing, we(me and my mechanic uncle) tried all day ta get it out wit no luck, so we've decided ta jus drill it out and use a bolt wit a lock nut on tha end... i know i was REALLY discouraged but it's jus cause i have NO money and things were jus goin REALLY bad fer me... but everything's good now, my 3geeeeee'll be runnin in no time haha... thanks for tha help everybody, and thanks fer stickin wit me haha

HondaBoy
07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
yeah, just keep working on it and dont give up. sounds like that'll work. so tell us how that goes.